Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HI Sea salt damage to OG 1958 VW
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHidde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: HI Sea salt damage to OG 1958 VW Reply with quote

There is a chance I may be assigned to Hawaii and I under the impression that it would be prudent to ship it to AZ where it would be stored in a garage, instead of it potentially rusting in HI. Thoughts?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt, really? Are you expecting to drive it into the ocean? Seriously, will you be very close to the ocean, store/park it inside? Drive it daily or close to that. Most times you hear of salt damage is from "back in the day" when VWs were used as daily transportation in the SNOWBELT. Keep the car waxed, Rinse the underside from time to time (now this could be a bit of an issue IF its bare/uncoated - as you will pick up some salt from the oceanside roads when driving and dry it off. However, you might want to check Hawaii state law as to safety inspections as there is this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...ght=hawaii
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In areas exposed to a sea salt atmosphere it will take a long time to realize any damage to you car. If you are going to live close to areas that are subjected to sea salt spray from the ocean, then that's a different story.

When you say "assigned," it kind of sounds like you may be in the Navy. If that's the case and you will be living near the Naval Base then I would leave it in storage state-side.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you park it a couple hundred feet from the surf, it's going to rot. But if you're half a mile inland, it's no different from anywhere else in the world with similar humidity and rain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you browse through the gallery a bit after doing a search for Hawaii, you'll notice a general lack of rusty heaps. As mentioned, just don't leave it parked on the beach and be sure to rinse it off thoroughly time to time.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends where. Everything along the windward coast on Oahu rusts.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHidde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am active duty but I'm army, not navy. I'm looking at a Garaged house in Ewa beach so that should be at least 1/2 mile from the beach. It sounds like as long as I hose it off and drive it I should be okay. Thanks for the response
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewa's on the Leeward side, with typically an afternoon thermal onshore. But that far inland shouldn't be a problem. The worst areas are along the eastern-facing coast. Shining a powerful flashlight at night, you can see the salt blowing in the breeze along Kailua, Waimanalo, etc
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather drive and enjoy the car in Hawaii than leave it in some garage in Arizona..

In my opinion the best part of owning the car is driving it...no locking it away so you can preserve it..preserve it for what? and not cruise around in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world?..really son, enjoy life...
indigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current condition is a factor. Does the car have any existing rust issues? Water leaks? I would expect any rust and patina to advance while you are in HI even if you are not right on the beach. Also keep an eye on your chrome - interior and exterior. Not saying don't take it as cruising around HI in an old VW is a ton of fun. Wax the paint and the chrome. Keeping it garaged will help a lot.

I live fairly close to the ocean in San Francisco and have owned a 63 and 64 in original paint out here. Stored mostly outside this environment is tough on 50 year old paint. Inside is much better, but still the rust never sleeps. I sold the 64 and restored the 63 after rolling it in patina for about six years - about as long as it could take. Also have a 69 Ghia that we restored about 10 years ago. The VW's stay garaged now. New paint is holding up great. Chrome and even aluminum over time will develop condition issues. 20 years ago I lived in NV and you don't have to worry about this stuff at all.

=D
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salt air gets on the inside compartments of vehicles in the islands and the cars rust from inside out.
This happens because of the heat during the day turns into interior condensation at night, the car will start rusting in just a few years.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No risk? no reward..talk about rolling year round in beauty..I guess its more of why do you own the car? to preserve it at any cost? or to enjoy it and make some memories..you can put me firmly in the latter..

jeez,imagine tellin the story.."yeah,see that incredibly small bit of oxidization? Got that shit cruising the islands"..

way better than "l drove a Kia in Hawaii cause I was afraid for the Vw"

you don't want people thinking your a handbag swinger do you?

Hell, you could total that fucker the day you take it outta storage in AZ..rust free..
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHidde wrote:
I am active duty but I'm army, not navy. I'm looking at a Garaged house in Ewa beach so that should be at least 1/2 mile from the beach. It sounds like as long as I hose it off and drive it I should be okay. Thanks for the response

Thanks for your service.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question suggests Hawaii is a temporary stay. Unless transport is free (normally $1,100 each way), you'd be paying a bunch AND introducing rust to an early model, for the pleasure of driving it while in Hawaii. Economic sense may factor in.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to the Fla. Keys back in the 90's. I had a very nice '79 baywindow. It started rusting much faster than I anticipated. Mind you, in the Keys you are usually less then a 1/2 mile or less from the shore. Don't know about HI. but the salt air can be brutal.
RHidde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The question suggests Hawaii is a temporary stay. Unless transport is free (normally $1,100 each way), you'd be paying a bunch AND introducing rust to an early model, for the pleasure of driving it while in Hawaii. Economic sense may factor in.

It would be about three years but I was thinking along the same lines as you. I'm pretty sure it the cost would be tax deductible though.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust wouldn't concern me in Hawaii as much as thefts for bugs, especially west side...ewa beach all the way down. Back in the day CA and HI it was very common for bugs to disappear even while you were having dinner not sure about today. Maybe double check your comprehensive coverage will cover you well.

Also, shipping ports another black zone, helps to know a few buddies there that will ensure your bug arrives at its destination in one piece, classics are like candy there. Maybe you plan to ship using military not sure how they handle the cars. Sorry don't mean to rain on your parade just a vw enthusiast looking out for another's hard working dollar. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: