Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Advice. Engine won't start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minimember wrote:
My biggest question is: would a bad battery cell prevent my car from getting enough amps to turn over when I tried to jump it using another car? I've read online that bad cells can do that, but wasn't sure. I also tried disconnecting the old battery and starting it just from the jumper cables and it was even a weaker crank.

It takes a robust set of jumper cables to start a car's engine if the battery is totally run down or just plain shot. Most cables are just too wimpy to do so. You can try to let the other car charge you battery for a while before trying to start it. Keep the revs up for at least two minutes and maybe longer before turning the key.
minimember
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: update: Reply with quote

I had the battery tested and it was producing the proper CCA. The cranking issue ended up being an improperly ground generator wire which had fried. I added new wire and gave it proper ground and now the engine is cranking strong, but still won’t fire. I checked the carburetor with a mirror and when I pull the throttle gas does squirt out. I pulled the coil wire and held it ½” from ground and it did arc (however I didn’t check the individual plugs doing the same test). Even though my coil and condenser past the resistance tests, I ended up swapping out the points, condenser, coil and plugs (since I had new ones anyways). The engine is super close to firing, but just won’t…so it’s probably safe to say it’s the timing or perhaps my valve lash. I followed the advise of a vw vet and set my valves to .008” for the initial 15 min break-in period where I run the car at between 2000-3000k, and then change the oil and re-adjust the valves. Could having the valves that open be causing the problem of not getting it statically timed properly?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your fuel cutoff solenoid hooked up and working?
Points/dwell checked and set?
Getting 12VDC at the coil terminal 15 with the key on?

I like using an adjustable spark tester at this point...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25069?seid=srese1&gclid=CNnk-7il678CFehj7AodDlgAeg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minimember
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the coil getting full volts and the fuel cut-off solenoid "clicking" when powered. Checking points and dwell right now, best I an without a dwell meter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: