Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 Windshield source?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: 412 Windshield source? Reply with quote

Okay gang, I'm in San Francisco, have Stacy at Performance Glass in Redwood City on the case but I'll put a call out here too. I may resign myself to buying a whole additional vehicle, if anyone knows a cheap and/or symapathetic spot I can tear down a parts car, should I find one, let me know. Any Burners on the forum??

Alrighty then, fire away!!
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two and they are still in this wooden crate I bought them in years ago. I'd be willing to part with one, but shipping would be difficult and expensive. I bought them in Portland in-person and drove them home to Seattle. If you think that you might one day need an excuse to drive to Seattle I think that would be the only reliable way to get it. I have three type-4s and have never needed to replace a windshield - yet! But they're there as an insurance policy. But then what about the seals? I don't have any, and I understand they are near-impossible to find.
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: need 412 windshield Reply with quote

hi,, go to see,,,on Google,,, the car-parts.com,,,,,you can see a ton of windshield,, take one in your contry,,cheer
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk, may drive up by you to fetch one if Stacy can't find it. PM me, we can trade digits. This gasket can likely be saved, the windshield was vandalized and is well beyond salvage, the glass shop can pull the pieces out of the gasket, then pull the gasket. I think I recall reading here or at SHoptalkforums Ray thought the T3 was the same profile.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoozi, bus or vanagon gaskets!! Tho I've some vague recollection that T3 is the same profile.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late bay window bus gasket is similar enough and fits. The issue you may not like is that the outer profile has higher curve. Not ugly but not exactly the same. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ray, fugly gasket preferable to the hole some chicken sh*t punched in the glass. Found one thru obsolete vendors, in PA, almost as far away from SFCA it can be and still be in the same country, but not quite. $665 shipped, might scrounge a parts car. Somebody in Livermore, CA is selling what he describes as a terrarium, but wants $2K, so maybe that's the CA on our sister planet in the parallel universe...

Spied a 411/412 rear end in a driveway in Sonoma on a roadtrip in May, may weedle back over there and see what that's all about. Thanks again!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...at $665 that better be NOS glass and be in the original box. There are enough of these still sitting in the junkyards with ...workable...glass. About $200-250 is about max for one that has no fogged edges and has been indoors in someones rack.

Knowing they are rare.....one who has one to sell could hold the gun to your head knowing you cant drive without one.....but unless you are dealing with Vladimir Putin or the Chinese premier....I doubt anyone would really do much higher than that.

I have one spare.....but its my only spare and the one in my car has a chip that may someday die....or I would part with it.

This coming weekend I am going to be in an area that is known to have several 411/412 in captivity. I dont know if the windshields are any longer intact....but i ill check. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where some are locally for a fair price, but with you being so far away, shipping is likely expensive and probably risk of breakage is high.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PickNPull here has their inventory computerized, no 411/412s, and have not heard any Bay Area yard sightings in some time.

I'll hope to check out this heap in Livermore. There's also a 4 spd '74 wagon in Colorado Springs here, but that's a long trailer voyage for me. $$$ It'd be nice to rebuild suspensions and tranny and so forth on a bench without disabling my car, and spare glass would be swell too, should Kirk here get back with me, which I hope he does. Nailed a NOS gasket from ISPWest, one off. So the infamous metal clips on the verticals will go back in!

That PA glass is NOS with some delam on the edges, I'm told. I'm not a stock monster, so it'll be my last resort.

You guys are great, thanks a lot. Looking forward to the long awaited rebuild thread Ray!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find that 74 and take the 4 speed and peripherals. Carry what you can and s rap the rest. The 4 speeds are much nicer. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased a few Type 4's just for good glass. The car that comes with it is just a bonus to re-sell parts or stock up on your own selection for your car.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
You should find that 74 and take the 4 speed and peripherals. Carry what you can and s rap the rest. The 4 speeds are much nicer. Ray

Logistically and $$$ way it's pretty impossible, unless some VW Medici steps forward!

Keeping my own car is a super stretch on SSDI and in a city, and so forth.

Some time ago I heard RanchoTransxles.com will build super buff Borg Warner 3 speeds, that would be nice!

As long as I don't get a moving violation b4 the glass manifests, from whatever source, I'm good.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Borg Warner 003 automatic transmission is used in drag racing & is pretty strong. You just need 1776cc + to push the car itself up Hills!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The Borg Warner 003 automatic transmission is used in drag racing & is pretty strong. You just need 1776cc + to push the car itself up Hills!

Why a 1776? The stock type 4 1700...when simply properly tuned will keep up easily with the average 1776. Build the 1700 with all better parts (cam, valves, exhaust, fuel system tuning, ignition...even with stock EFI....will spank any 1776 up and down hill. Ray
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I was thinking of my new 1600 w/003 transmission! Evil or Very Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk's glass in SeaWa is no-go, one of his two is cracked--still looking!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
True, I was thinking of my new 1600 w/003 transmission! Evil or Very Mad

That I can see!.....I think the type 3 is a little lighter. A tight 3 speed with a tuned out 1776 with inje tion....cool.
I knew a guy jn Dallas that used to slaughter the competition in bracket racing with a fastaback with a 1776, D-jet and a 003. It was just quick enough and dead on consistent. Ray
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to offer my car for sale, if I do I'll drop a note here for all of you and over at shoptalkforums, tho it's mostly the same folks. I'm sure I'll take a bath on the selling price, but this is a fairly hard sitch to manage in a city with no off street parking, so, I'm deliberating!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a sad thought but it may be best for you and the car. I tell potential owners of type 4 cars that these cars....unless they are very well restored....which means whoever worked on it did a good bit of fabrication....because parts just dont exist for common wear items...or they are just in perfect shape......they do not make good vehicles to own for daily drivers and certainly not as an only vehicle. There are just too many normalcparts that could stop you from driving that you just can't easily buy.

That is unless you have a place to work on it on it and a stash of parts. Even then be prepared.
As daily drivers...these cars are really nice but you have to have some parts. If a ball joint or tie rod end craps out.....it will take a while to find one so you need to at least have some good used spares or the wait will be long and probably epensive. Not to mention body and glass parts as you are finding.

These cars are not your average beetle, type 3 or even bus of the same year range. I can find every suspension part and engine part and most transmission parts....and most glass....online or local to most large cities and have them pretty quick. These cars take planning and resources to own and drive. Too old and too few. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: