Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looks like my tire tech f***ed my transmission, advice?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

That's a recipe for disaster..Duane is getting a call from Kal,and like all shop owners they defend one another...tread lightly...you might end up wishing you just fixed it yourself..

Will do Johnny, I had the good sense not to tell the Kal guys Duane's number, so I will be calling him and talking to him about the issue. Duane owns his own shop and is small time, I don't think he is a huge fan of the chains so hopefully it isn't an issue.

He is a cool guy and I have been dealing with him for years so here is hoping he is chill about it and understands it was clearly the Kal guys fault.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this sucks.

Im sorry about it.

If i was you, id ask if they would pay you to remove the engine/trans axle/ and fix the nosecone/ hockey stick..

Thats only because I only let me touch my car and no one else.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Man this sucks.

Im sorry about it.

If i was you, id ask if they would pay you to remove the engine/trans axle/ and fix the nosecone/ hockey stick..

Totally would do that if I had the time cycles and a better space to do the work, don't have access to a garage for longer than a few hours at a time right now. It is my DD so i kinda need it sooner rather than later. I trust Duane, he did a very good job on my transmission last time, and he has snuck me through emmissions on more than one occasion.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
Man this sucks.

Im sorry about it.

Totally would do that if I had the time cycles and a better space to do the work, don't have access to a garage for longer than a few hours at a time right now. It is my DD so i kinda need it sooner rather than later. I trust Duane, he did a very good job on my transmission last time, and he has snuck me through emmissions on more than one occasion.

Strange... Anything older than 1989 doesn't need to pass emissions in Texas Wink

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's supposed to be a square-headed grub screw where that hex bolt is. I suspect the coupler may have rotated on the input shaft because the dimple in the shaft is no longer aligned with the screw. Probably take less time to fix than it took to write this comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
Well, there's supposed to be a square-headed grub screw where that hex bolt is. I suspect the coupler may have rotated on the input shaft because the dimple in the shaft is no longer aligned with the screw. Probably take less time to fix than it took to write this comment.

X2

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:

What dimple? Are you seeing this in the video? I am not seeing anything

The bolt is pointed, it just doesn't have a square head.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Derek Cobb wrote:

What dimple? Are you seeing this in the video? I am not seeing anything

The bolt is pointed, it just doesn't have a square head.

Remove the pointed bolt on the shift coupler on the back seat,

You can now pull the shifter back(towards the rear) and remove the shift cage off the hockey stick on the transaxle.

Then, grab it and re-align the shift cage to where the bolt sets firmly into the dimple on the hockey stock (you will see it when you pull the cage off)

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think that is what happening. Prior to this I could take the shifter off and grab the coupler to change gears (I tried this when I replaced the coupler and shift bushing). When I took the gear stick off this time I was unable to change gears by grabbing the coupler.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

I'd slide that rod (maybe with coupler removed if poss.) as far forward as you can- and just work that hockey stick with a pair of channel locks. Good luck.

Have you tried this yet? This guy seems to have a pretty good bead on the issue- almost like he's had the exact same problem before- twice.

Johnnypan- I'm truly sorry to re-engage you in this, but I don't think were gettin' through individually. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
hitest wrote:

I'd slide that rod (maybe with coupler removed if poss.) as far forward as you can- and just work that hockey stick with a pair of channel locks. Good luck.

Have you tried this yet? This guy seems to have a pretty good bead on the issue- almost like he's had the exact same problem before- twice.

Johnnypan- I'm truly sorry to re-engage you in this, but I don't think were gettin' through individually. Cool

I somehow missed that suggestion.... I don't have access to the car anymore, at this point I think I will let Duane take care of it and update you guys with what happens.

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
hitest wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I aint getting in the back anymore brother..nope,its the head or nothing for me..
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure if you guys are making fun of me, but I'm not to keen to try and fix this myself or force something with vice grips. It is too easy that if I cant fix it they say that my attempts made it worse and it is now out of their hands. I'd rather not get shafted twice.

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
I'm not 100% sure if you guys are making fun of me, but I'm not to keen to try and fix this myself or force something with vice grips. It is too easy that if I cant fix it they say that my attempts made it worse and it is now out of their hands. I'd rather not get shafted twice.

and that's the reason its the head end,no more horses ass for me...it would save every one involved a lot of trouble if you spent a little time with the shift rod out and do a little hockey stick work..

I do this kind of work for a living, I have for over thirty years... I make money 'finding' things..for instance if I was pulling your engine and trans to take the nose cone off and re engage the hockey stick Im sure I would 'find' a few other things that need attention and since I had your baby scattered all over the shop floor convincing you to pony up the dough to fix it would be pretty easy...that where the overpriced 45 dollar flat fix that kicked this whole shit story off racks up to be some real dough..

why not just give it a try..if you fix it you can tell KAL tire you got it handled,but you'll be expecting some consideration the next time you stop in..he'll get the picture ,trust me..
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane is headed over there now.

Called Kal tire and despite me specifically telling them they weren't qualified to touch a damn thing they tried to fix it. They say that they have 1-4 working but not reverse. I'm going to be writing a letter to their head office because this is bullshit.

jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, and as Ashman pointed out on the first page, it sounds like your hockey stick and shift forks are out of normal alignment. Can happen when people try to force the shifter (especially into reverse without pressing down) or if a gear fork pops out of place mid shift. First, I'd try Bruce's suggestion here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6004566#6004566 and see if that will fix the gear engagement.

If not, you may need to remove the nose cone to reset the shift forks and hockey stick to Neutral. I've done it with only needing to slide the engine/trans rearward enough to get the nosecone pulled forward enough to clear its mounting bolts to move things around and have a gap to get a screwdriver in. Pain in the ass and messy as hell, but doable.

edit: If they got 1-4 working, you'll have to find out what else they messed with that reverse isn't working (unbolted the shifter, etc). Or maybe none of them know they need to press down on the shifter to get there.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Duane is headed over there now.

Called Kal tire and despite me specifically telling them they weren't qualified to touch a damn thing they tried to fix it. They say that they have 1-4 working but not reverse. I'm going to be writing a letter to their head office because this is bullshit.

now the shitstorm starts..make sure Kal Tire authorizes all the work in writing or your Buddy Duane is going to come after you to get paid.. once again, you'll be way ahead if you just fix it yourself, trust me.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will head over there after work and ask for some stuff in writing. Thanks for the advice.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
They say that they have 1-4 working but not reverse.

Sooooo . . . . they removed the shifter and then put the reverse lock-out plate in wrong.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke with Duane and Kal again. Looks like Johnny was onto something.

Duane says the selectors need to be realigned and this could happen again if there is wear in the transmission.

Kal is now saying that they might not cover the damage if there is any indication that it was due to wear. I'm going to stop by Duane's and make sure that when he talks to them he makes sure they know it was their fault.

Fuck what a pain in the ass this is. If I had the space I would do it myself

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: