Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix Flame-Thrower Distributor Static Timing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Pertronix Flame-Thrower Distributor Static Timing Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go the electronic ignition route and bought a Pertronix Flame-Thrower SVDA distributor (D186504). Getting ready to pull the 009 and remand it to the "just-in-case" box. But before I do, I've read horror stories of people "frying" the Ignitor modules right out of the box, and I can't afford to do that. Sooooo...does anyone know if you can hook up a 12V static timing light to this new distributor? I want to set the timing for the initial 7.5 degrees BTDC, but I don't want to fry the circuitry. Opinions, please? Thanks.
Steve

1974 Super Beetle Convertible, 1600 DP.
2016 Honda Accord Coupe (wife's)
2006 GMC Canyon Crew Cab (mine)
1978 Grady White Pacer 174 Mercruiser 470
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the instructions say to do?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions have nothing about timing - they only discuss installation and power procedures.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know it's a copy of the Bosch 034, so set the timing the same.

If you're concerned about damaging it while static timing, I would call their customer support and ask. Unless you rather trust people on the internet that you don't know.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer!

When I installed mine the timing was way off and it took me several tries to get it just to run! Then I set the timing, so I don't know how you could fry the unit easily... I wouldn't be overly paranoid about toasting it as long as your power and ground are hooked up correctly on the coil.
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the same horror stories, and I hope they're not true. I can avoid having the ignition on for static timing, but I'm afraid I'm just going to leave they key on by accident and fry it.

I just stuck mine in and tried to start the car.

When it didn't start, I shut the key off, went back and advanced it a little.

It fired right up, and I used my timing gun to get it set right.

Works great! What an improvement over my worn-out DVDA ... which is under the back seat for that sad day when I fry my electronic ignition module and still have to get home Confused .

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
As far as I know it's a copy of the Bosch 034, so set the timing the same.

If you're concerned about damaging it while static timing, I would call their customer support and ask. Unless you rather trust people on the internet that you don't know.

Thanks, Glenn. I sent an email to their customer service, but they're not open on weekends. I'll probably try to eyeball 10 degrees, see if I can get it running, and put my strobe on it.

DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you find out. I'd love to know how careful I have to be with this thing.

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadsOld74 wrote:
Let us know what you find out. I'd love to know how careful I have to be with this thing.

I found a note on Rob & Dave's Aircooled site (http://www.vw-resource.com/longblock.html#dizzy) that warns against using a static timing light on distributors with electronic ignition:

"f. Time the distributor (SVDA or 009) statically. (See our procedure for static timing.)
Note: If you have electronic ignition installed in the distributor, it will not be possible to time the distributor statically. Cylinder #1 at TDC, the TDC notch on the crankcase pulley aligned with the split in the crankcase, and the rotor pointed directly at the #1 notch in the distributor rim will provide timing that is close enough to start the engine. Then, with the engine running, you should time the distributor with a stroboscopic timing light. (See our procedure for timing with a strobe.)"

Apparently with electronic ignition modules, there's a risk of destroying them by connecting a static timing light across the circuit (parallel resistance with constant voltage = higher current flow?)

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the engine on TDC #1 (with TDC on the pulley aligned with the split in the case.

I would then rotate the distributor to where the center of the rotor is pointing towards the notch in the distributor case. (the little line)

Then I would assemble everything, Start it up.

And then set the timing for max advance @3500 rpm with the vac hose off and disconnected at 30* BTDC.

Shut it down, tighten the clamp. re-check and make sure your timing did not change.

Then hook the vac hose back up.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I removed the 009, but sometime in the past, someone had bunged up the dizzy clamp. I'll have a new clamp in the morning, so I'll install the Pertronix and see if I can time it up. Installed a carb kit since I had extra time today. Hopefully, all will go well tomorrow.

mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Installed the new dizzy, and I was surprised to see that the "line" on the dizzy's rim was at the 2 o'clock position rather than 5 o'clock where I expected it to be. Car will not start at all even after turning the dizzy about 15 degrees in both directions. I pulled the coil wire from the rotor cap and held it near a good ground, and there was a good spark. Getting fuel, so I have to believe that the problem is with initial (static) timing. Called Pertronix and they said that you CAN use a static timing light provided that you don't leave the key in the "on" position for too long (no explanation of what "too long" means). If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks.

Steve

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the rotor postion of the #1 cylinder spark plug wire on a 009 is 90º from where it would be on a SVDA. 009s are just wierd that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eurobug
Sofa King

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Keep in mind that the rotor postion of the #1 cylinder spark plug wire on a 009 is 90º from where it would be on a SVDA. 009s are just wierd that way.

True story, I found this out recently. Don't set up your plug wires like you did with the 009. #1 plug port on the distributor cap is almost pointing right at the #1 cylinder with the 034.
mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Thanks, Randy. I tried several combinations of timing and carb adjustments, but it won't fire at all. Now I have the battery on the charger since I ran it down trying to get this thing to kick over. I'll let the battery slow-charge for a couple more hours, then try it again in the morning.

DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that was strange when I installed mine was that the notch for the cap was 180 degrees different. Cylinder #1 was in the same place as it was on my DVDA, but I had to install the cap opposite the way and reinsert all the plug wires - in the same positions, but he opposite terminals.

Is there a chance your wires are running to the wrong plugs?

mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadsOld74 wrote:

I've triple-checked the wire positions on the cap, and everything is where it should be. Going out to the garage now to try again. Results later.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainexile wrote:
DadsOld74 wrote:

I've triple-checked the wire positions on the cap, and everything is where it should be.

You wouldn't be the first person who said this only to find they were assuming someone else's description of where plug wires should go was correct.

Follow the steps detailed here on Speedy Jim's site.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm

The section marked "The Test" describes how to find TDC for #1 cylinder using valve movement and doesn't depend on knowing where #1 "should" be located.

When the crank pulley is lined up with the TDC or timing mark and the #1 cylinder valves are both closed... you are at/near TDC for #1 cylinder. Now look where your rotor is pointing. This is where #1 plug wire gets installed on the distributor cap.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you got the same instructions that I did, but I ordered my Pertronix from Aircooled.net. They always send an e.mail with great detailed directions.

One of the things they said was to keep my old distributor in place and rotate the engine so that the rotor is pointed to #1.

Then, remove it and put in the new distributor. Once it pops into place, the rotor may point in a different direction. That is your new #1 position. Put a notch or a mark there if preferred and get used to that being where #1 is. Then, make sure all wires are inserted accordingly.

For me, the postion was the same. But, that can't be assumed.

mainexile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Mea culpa Reply with quote

OK, so you all know about the axiom of requiring three "attaboys" to make up for one "dumbs"? Well, I need some attaboys. After I installed a new intake manifold, my plug wires to #s 1and 2 cylinders ran under the intake...and they were crossed behind the carb. So, when I plugged them in the new Pertronix rotor cap, they were reversed (yeah, I know, I didn't swap them one at a time, nor did I mark the wires). Embarassed As you can well imagine, the engine just didn't want to run that way. Switched them over, and it runs like a champ. I'm now gonna go find a hole to crawl into. Later.

Steve (the dumbass)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: