Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help, another oil pressure thread...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arm is welded to the pickup, and it goes to the bolt. Once the nut was tightened down for the deep pan, It actually backed the bolt up so it didnt hold that support arm in place.
btw, the washer is now above that arm instead of below it, as seen in that pic..
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, just so i can sleep easier. The.pickup that came loose inside the block....thats pressed in right? Again i want to make sure i dont have a clamp in the block somewhere. I should be able to tighten that bolt down and that pickup shouldnt go anywhere.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the nut back on the stud and tightened?
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the pick up is pressed into the block....like really pressed in...as in, a total bitch to remove from the block.

if it fell back into it's hole, you will still be sucking air. did i mention they are really pressed in Shocked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
Did you get the nut back on the stud and tightened?
no yet, it is all lined up and im going to tighten the bolt with the double nut method. Once that is tight, ill shorten the stud just so it wont bottom out on the closed top nut, and ill put it back together. The pump did go in the hole well, and it didnt move around, and i know in theory it would pull air but i just wouldnt think it would be much of an issue. At this point, aside from taking the whole thing apart, all i can do is put it back together. Really think it would be an issue?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break this to you, but the engine has to come apart to fix this properly. You may have the tube "close", but it certainly isn't in there sealed tight. If you choose to run it this way it's going to suck air and eventually a bearing is going to go, and take a lot of other stuff with it.

This is something that they missed during the assembly. It happens, and if they are a reputable vendor they'll apologize and fix it.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st ntake it back to the guys that built it., 2nd it should have 3 oil & filter changes by now.3rd that looks like a 1.5qt sump.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166259

is the thread that covered the repair, but Mark Harney knew what he was doing. If you go too far you'll crack the case.

I also want to point out if you do much on this you give the vendor an excuse to say you messed it up further and there is no warranty. I'd give him the engine back and have him call you when it's fixed.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not touching this thing any further. Ive got an email to the builder asking him to call me tomorrow. I really hope he makes it right. I have been told if the tube isnt in TIGHT it will suck air and foam the oil. I know i dont want that....
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how many guys head to the garage to check their pickup tube after reading this Laughing
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that common, but the shop should make it right. They probably won't want to, because it is involved and thus expensive, but you have to take the good with the bad in this business.
hooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Please help, another oil pressure thread... Reply with quote

[quote="Soundkillr"]I recently got a 2276 turn key motor from a vendor here, and while it runs great, I have noticed a new problem. The engine has not been fully broken in, and I'm running Lucas's 15w 40 break in oil with high zinc. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, going to an autometer gauge.
=================================
Over many years of racing I have found that the mechanical oil pressure gauges are very slow to respond to pressure changes. A larger oil line to the gauge helps a lot but the electrical units are much better for faster response but not as accurate as the mechanical units. I use a big red light (2" dia.) with a 20 lb sending unit on my engines and if they even flicker at rpm I shut the engine off. The quick response of the electrical units have saved the engines a few times. Good luck on getting your problem taken care of. That's an easy thing for an engine builder to miss.

I spent most my money on women and VW race cars. The rest I wasted.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I'm worried... I'm working on an engine I have, was built already years ago. Anyway, I had the sump off, and I accidentally rested the engine on the tube and it rotated a bit so it wasn't centered. It wasn't flopping around or anything, but I had to push on it and rotate it back into place. Am I in the same boat with sucking air problem?
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Glad you all spoke up, I would have put it back together not knowing better. Glad I didn't. I'm talking with the builder now to see what we can work out....
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
now I'm worried... I'm working on an engine I have, was built already years ago. Anyway, I had the sump off, and I accidentally rested the engine on the tube and it rotated a bit so it wasn't centered. It wasn't flopping around or anything, but I had to push on it and rotate it back into place. Am I in the same boat with sucking air problem?

I dunno man, I would certainly check it VERY well. Everyone I have talked to both on and off forum have said this is a very serious issue....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the case a single relief? The pickup tube looks REALLY small.

I would not build a "big" engine on a small oil passage single relief case.
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Is the case a single relief? The pickup tube looks REALLY small.

I would not build a "big" engine on a small oil passage single relief case.

SUPPOSED to be dual relief full flowed. It was actually a fuel injected block. I believe I have worked it out with builder and will keep everyone posted once its all worked out. I pulled the engine the next day and it was on a pallet back to the builder the following day.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it really is a AJ block they did not use the large german pickup that it came with. The one you have looks like a small SR or late brazilian pick up.
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
If it really is a AJ block they did not use the large german pickup that it came with. The one you have looks like a small SR or late brazilian pick up.

Mmm, interesting. Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to look into that....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: