Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced Ball Joints and Tie Rod ends on my 67 today
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalStud2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Replaced Ball Joints and Tie Rod ends on my 67 today Reply with quote

Thought I would throw some info out there about my experience replacing the ball joints on my 67 Beetle Sedan. All and all the procedure went pretty smooth. I purchased a 20 ton press from Harbor freight. The press originally sells for $300.00. It was on sale for $199.00. Plus I had a coupon for 20% off which knocked it down to $159.00. Great investment. Garage wanted almost $700.00 to do the job. With purchased tools and parts the cost was about $325.00 and I have a press to use on other projects. I agree with others on the forum. You do not need to heat anything. When you have a press, it does the job period!! No need for heat, welding the cups.. Just press them out.. and press them in. I also sprayed the Ball joints and tie rod ends with PB Blaster a week before I started.. All and all it went good. Went to Home Depot and bought a 1-1/2" coupling and used a 1" socket to press out ball joints and press them in. The Press also came with a platform with a series of holes which I was able to use to press the upper Ball Joints in...Total job in hours for everything, about 6. I would take this project on again. I am not a professional mechanic by trade but, I have been working on cars for about 30 years. I am in the third year of restoring my bug.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good job! I rebuilt my whole front end including new dropped spindles for much less. I took all of the pieces to my machine shop and had them do it ($10 each) while I pulled all of the leaf springs (in my opinion a PAIN IN THE ASS) out, cleaned them, lubed them, and finally got them all back in.....
Front end turned out fantastic. Hey, you can use the press for other stuff too though-that's good.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were fortunate that they pressed out so easily. I used a 20 ton press and couldn't budge one of them. Had to chisel out the guts of the ball joint and then use a welder inside the remaining cup to get it out.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
You were fortunate that they pressed out so easily. I used a 20 ton press and couldn't budge one of them. Had to chisel out the guts of the ball joint and then use a welder inside the remaining cup to get it out.

Yikes.. You got very un-lucky there. Last time I did ball joints was on my 67. I bought a $40 Harbor Freight POS ball joint tool that needed to be modified a bit. I was able to press them in and out w/that tool and an air 1/2" impact driving the large bolt.

When I did alignment work in the 80's, I never used heat or welded on them. I did as the OP did and we simply pressed them in and out with a porta-powered press. That baby was strong and pushed them in/out very easly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MetalStud2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:

I helped a friend of mine out with one of the ball joints in his bug. He used a cheap C clamp style press and he could not get one of them out. I smashed the ball part of it out through the back side and took a Sawzall and put a relief cut in it at 12:00 and 6:00 being careful not to cut into the torsion arm. Then I simply smacked it out with a hammer. That procedure took about 10 min. I try to look outside the box sometimes when things do not go as planned and simplify them if possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: