Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Franken-Manx
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
It is REALLY good I cannot read my own posts. But, the old guy needed some loving. It is in seriously sad shape and will tax my ability to re-build ole' Frank.

I have made the decision to put it back to stock style and that includes the original Fushia metal flake. Since it will take a lot of time, this one will most likely take a year or so to get done in between other projects.

Instead of starting a new build thread, I will just continue Frank's progress on this one.

Popcorn

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This poor body has had to have suffered a hard hit in the front. Then fell into the hands of a hackasourous. The front section, in front of the fuel tank has been "repaired", but has broken loose. All the repairs were done on top of the original body, so they "lifted" the surface higher. All the former repairs will have to be removed before I can even see what is what.

The leading edge of the hood has metal installed to keep it stable. I will order a new hood from Winnie.

At Marc's workshop:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last year, 2013, wvbowtieman and I made this same trip, on this same day after a Halloween Friday to pick up his Moss Green Manx from Marc. Wonder if this will happen next year?

Loaded in the rain, (rained on us when we were loading David's body, and cold) and readied for the trip to WV.

At home in WV, just a few shots of the severely beaten front section, firewall, hood and under the body lip. The tubes are in place, but looks like someone ran a fuel line under the lip too. Wow!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe. Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on the body!!
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karu wrote:
Joe. Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on the body!!

As are a bunch of us!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
grinNbarritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Joes builds! Thanks for taking the time to do the thorough posts that you do. Wish I lived next door, I'd gladly be your shop flunkie just to learn how you get soooo much done. Hope ya do keep it Fushia, I think its kinda cool color. Jim
Pinboss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Wow! This poor body has had to have suffered a hard hit in the front. Then fell into the hands of a hackasourous. The front section, in front of the fuel tank has been "repaired", but has broken loose. All the repairs were done on top of the original body, so they "lifted" the surface higher. All the former repairs will have to be removed before I can even see what is what.

The leading edge of the hood has metal installed to keep it stable. I will order a new hood from Winnie.

At Marc's workshop:

Last year, 2013, wvbowtieman and I made this same trip, on this same day after a Halloween Friday to pick up his Moss Green Manx from Marc. Wonder if this will happen next year?

Loaded in the rain, (rained on us when we were loading David's body, and cold) and readied for the trip to WV.

At home in WV, just a few shots of the severely beaten front section, firewall, hood and under the body lip. The tubes are in place, but looks like someone ran a fuel line under the lip too. Wow!

Hey Joe... In the one shot you show a pair of Good Year tires. What size and condition are they?, and Do you want to sell them?
My email is [email protected]

Also... Can't wait to follow this build. You do amazing work.

Joe S.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Joe! Thanks for the compliment.

Those Firestones are almost as hard as my garage floor and have more cracks in them than the great wall of China. They look good at 50 feet, but have given there best effort long ago. I think they may be so hard I will have to cut them off of the rim to avoid damaging the rims.

I look forward to making some progress on this Manx and hope to do so next month.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinboss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Joe, Thanks.

I really like to looks of those old R.W.L. Good Years. I mount them on some vintage wheels and display them in my garage. They are cool to look at.

Joe
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave some love to Ole Frank this evening. Pulled the body off of the chassis. It was bolted on with carriage bolts, that had rusted. Please never use carriage bolts to hold a body to a pan. They are a PITA to remove if they rust.

But anyway, here are some pictures:

It did not take much effort to "cut" the formerly added side sections off the body. Very poor work.

The rear half is really not in that bad of shape. The battery well and spare tire well have been hacked, but they will get put back to original. The strengthening/wiring tubes can be seen as also the "lift" block to pull the body from the mold.

The front, well, that is a whole different story. It has been hit hard enough to buckle the front to the point I can see where it flexed at the start of the tubes right at the firewall. Split, crushed, ripped, torn, glassed over, metal screwed in. Really beat and hacked.

Kind of like "deja vu all over again"

I like a challenge, but I think this body will push me to my limits. I can put the body back together fairly easily, but that front end will be the test. I will have to wait on the front section until I get a new hood from Bruce and Winnie to establish how wide so the gaps come out correctly and line up well.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Gave some love to Ole Frank this evening. Pulled the body off of the chassis. It was bolted on with carriage bolts, that had rusted. Please never use carriage bolts to hold a body to a pan. They are a PITA to remove if they rust.

But anyway, here are some pictures:

The rear half is really not in that bad of shape. The battery well and spare tire well have been hacked, but they will get put back to original. The strengthening/wiring tubes can be seen as also the "lift" block to pull the body from the mold.

I'm diggin' the flip-up rear section - should provide good access to the drivetrain... Laughing

bnc
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a brave man, Joe. A huge tip of the cap for this one!

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

Been a while with this thread.

I have all but finished my third Ecotec buggy build that is going to chase the race in Baja. It just needs a couple tweaks and the soft top installed. So, what the heck am I going to Chase? Or who am I going to chase?

Time to build another Baja Racer. Since I have not used this Franken Manx body yet, it is perfect to build a racer out of. It is already beat to death, but savable. So, put it back together, lay on some super wild flake design to hide any body work, slip it on a custom tube chassis, and go have some fun!

What I learned in 2018 running of NORRA in my Puzzle Manx, is travel and shocks are needed to maintain the buggy. Not so much to win, but to survive. The current plan is shaping up to around 20 inches of rear travel and about 18 in the front, on paper. Should be able to hit that to within about 5% variance once done. Rear Engine, (not VW) and front beam.

Bad News Racing is Back for another adventure with it! And we are teaming with ACME Buggies in New Cumberland PA to make it happen. I am working with Owner John at ACME to build the chassis and I will build the body onto it.

Our new Logo:

In an interesting twist, I am friends with a lady in Florida that has aspirations to run Baja, and has since she was a child, like when I became interested. Talked to my team, and we approached her to join BNR. We could run two teams out of the East, share a lot of effort and expense. Doc accepted. Doc also had a sponsor on board, the American Cancer Society, which she is interested in running for Breast Cancer Awareness. She formed a female team, and is on her way too. Almost anyone around has been affected by Cancer, me included with my mother and sister. She is building a DSBE buggy, (Dual Sport Baja Edition) with water cooled engine and long travel suspension. Class Act Racing was born, and here is their logo:

I will be showing the progress on this thread as it progresses. Hope you guys follow along and enjoy the adventure with us!

neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

Can’t wait to see more, Joe!

I like to build stuff...
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

Oh boy... another build from Joe!
I'll get new cases of popcorn and soda.
Beats all the reruns on tv...

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Oh boy... another build from Joe!
I'll get new cases of popcorn and soda.
Beats all the reruns on tv...

Paul

Ditto! Just followed Joe's coaching today to Red Kote my custom fuel tank. Thanks Joe for all your tips and tricks!
Always look forward to your build posts Joe.
Jeff
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas! I am glad some of my ramblings help.

This weekend I am finishing up on my Chase buggy with the Ecotec engine and 15 inches clearance. 1 week to perform my annual garage cleaning that is running 4 years behind schedule, then onto prepping for NORRA. Christmas is my goal to have it done so our team can get in it and start getting used to driving the Monster.

First step is to pull these body pieces out from under the car port, photo document it, and send off to have Bruce and Winnie Certify it as a Meyers Product. The class our team will be racing in is the Evolution Class, and in the Meyers Division. The only class rule is it has to be a Meyers Product, no drivetrain limitations, no suspension limitations, just the body.

The next step is to put this body back together in a similar fashion to how I did the Puzzle Manx. Bolt the biggest piece to a known flat chassis, then start glassing the pieces onto it using the chassis as the guide. And just like the Puzzle Manx, this body will get stretched and widened.

Having three other Manx Bodies currently, every time I looked at this poor buggy, I could not muster any motivation to even make a plan to work on it. I had several times considered just throwing it away, and would have if it would have been easy to get to it in the stack of bodies I have. But now, I am super excited to work on it!!!

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

What I learned in 2018 running of NORRA in my Puzzle Manx, is travel and shocks are needed to maintain the buggy. Not so much to win, but to survive. The current plan is shaping up to around 20 inches of rear travel and about 18 in the front, on paper. Should be able to hit that to within about 5% variance once done. Rear Engine, (not VW) and front beam.

Many people have survived Baja with a stock travel suspension, Bruce Meyers & Ted Mangels had stock suspension when they set the original record down Baja in Old Red, Vic Wilson & Ted also won the 1st Baja 1000 in the stock suspension #10 Meyers Manx, Jon in the #9 El Gusano Manx runs a stock dimension king pin/swing axle chassis with tremendous success. Juan in the #1100 Legend class fiberglass buggy is very good in his ball joint/IRS car. In 2015 & 2017 the #166 Subie-Tow’d entry ran with a VW ball joint, type 181 front suspension. Let’s also not forget how many and how popular the Class 11 VW sedans are with stock suspension dimensions. The VW suspension is very capable & durable in it’s own right.

Last edited by manxvair on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Many people have survived Baja with a stock travel suspension, Bruce Meyers & Ted Mangels had stock suspension when they set the original record down Baja in Old Red, Vic Wilson & Ted also won the 1st Baja 1000 in the stock suspension #10 Meyers Manx, Jon in the #9 El Gusano Manx runs a stock dimension king pin/swing axle chassis with tremendous success. Juan in the #1100 Legend class fiberglass buggy is very good in his ball joint/IRS car. In 2015 & 2017 the #166 Subie-Tow’d entry ran with a VW ball joint, type 181 front suspension. Let’s also not forget how many and how popular the Class 11 VW sedans are with stock suspension dimensions. The VW suspension is very capable & durable in it’s own right.

I am not discounting those cars at all. Remember my Puzzle Manx also had stock ball joint suspension and torsion suspension in '18, and placed 3rd in class.

But, the only reason it placed 3rd in an unlimited class with stock suspension was due to other's misfortune.

I could re-run the Puzzle Manx again in that unlimited class against 4, maybe 5 or 6 unlimited meyers buggies. But to compete with them, I would have to run a perfect race, and all the others would have to have misfortune for the PM to excel. That would be a stupid choice to gamble so much time and effort on considering I have 10 days tied up in nothing but travel. And considering if a unlimited meyers buggy could run a perfect race, all those you mention would pale in overall time.

So, as I stated, to maintain MY buggy, suspension and shocks are the key. Since I will be building to again run in the Meyers Evolution class that is unlimited except for a Meyers body, suspension is key. 2018 was the first time I ever saw Baja, a off road race, running in silt, the challenges, logistics and first time building a off road race car, I think we did very well just to complete the race. This time I will be soooo much better prepared, prepped, relaxed, ready, and engineered better to try and complete the race again. Might even better my previous time.

Having experienced it once to know what it is about, I will have a lot more fun this next time there.

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:

Technically speaking, it appears that the actual definition of a vehicle suspension includes all of the following: The suspension system consists of tires, the air in the tires, springs, shock absorbers, struts, arms, bars, linkages, bushings, and joints.

So, unless the vehicles you listed above were all running the exact tires, springs, shock absorbers, struts, arms, bars, linkages, bushings, and joints (as the original VW model would have had on the showroom floor), they were not running stock suspensions.

Also, and according to other reports that I have read, Old Red was actually using a non-VW rear suspension. Here is one example, from silodrone.com:

"The vehicle used for the Tijuana to La Paz record attempt was “Old Red”, Bruce’s first beach buggy complete with Chevy pickup rear suspension. Bruce and Ted Mangels made their departure from Tijuana at 10:00pm on April 19th, 1967, and arrived in La Paz 34 hours and 45 minutes later, shaving more than five hours off the time set by the motorcycle team."

Manxvair, if this information is incorrect, I will be happy to supply you with the link, so that you can suggest a correction yourself. After all, we do want to be correct in our postings, yes?

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Franken-Manx Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

Having experienced it once to know what it is about, I will have a lot more fun this next time there.

That is what is should be all about! and enjoying the beauty of Baja, Mexico!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: