Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer trip up North... in the '67!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Summer trip up North... in the '67! Reply with quote

In another thread, it was mentioned that folks were going to take trips in their VW. Some cross-country, some not. We made the trek North to Minnesota from South Texas and logged the entire trip in a notebook, with a picture or two.

On 7/10 my wife and I left home @ 7:55pm with the odometer reading 69734 in our '67 bug. The decision was made to drive all night to avoid the heat. We trekked up North on I-45 out of Houston and made a stop in Madisonville at 9:55pm at the Buc-cee's for gas and snacks. This was our first stop and first conversation with someone that "had a bug".

On 7/11 at 12:30am, we stopped at Love's in Ferris (south of Dallas) for gas and checked the mileage. Odometer read 69989 and the bug gave back 31mpg's. Not bad. At 1am, we hit the Suthern border of Dallas and got on I-35E. At 1:10am, we hit stand-still Traffic due to construction. Great!

At 2:45am, Hello Oklahoma! We kept trucking North and hit OK City at 4:58am with the odometer reading 70207. So far, so good. At 5:30am, we stopped at Pop's Soda Shop in Arcadia, OK on Route 66 but it was closed. We got gas, got 29.5mpg's and took a picture of the bottle out front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back on the road and headed North, we stopped in Burlingame, KS for a bite to eat and gas. The odometer read 70492 and got 31.45mpg's. At 12:08, we hit the Missouri state line and stretched our legs at the rest stop. It never fails, we stop and folks come over to take pix or to talk about them having bugs.

At 12:55pm, we stopped again in Lawson, MO to take a break. The odometer read 70610 but still had enough gas. 2:15pm, we hit the Iowa state line. Soon after at 2:38pm, we got gas in Lamoni at the Amish Shoppes Store. We got 32.74mpg's upon fill-up/checking. This was the first time I had noticed E85 being sold. Here is proof:
Yeah, not running that.

At 6:17pm, we hit the Minnesota state line and had a few more miles to go. 7:12pm, we arrived in Waseca, MN with the Odometer reading 70972. We had zero problems on the trip up, only stopping for gas, food, rest stop or to check oil. Total miles: 1238, Avg mpg's 31.17 and total gallons of gas: 39.86. After some down-time, I checked the '67 over and changed the oil/set valves. All was good.

While there, I took a couple of pix. This one is at the county fair. I like tractors...

We took a side trip to the Spam museum in Austin, MN. No, I don't know how many cans that is.

While in Waseca, we hit the drive-in place called Barney's several times while there. Met the owner and the whole staff. They loved the '67 and could not believe we drove it so far.

On 7/18, it was time to head home. The reason for the trip was to pick up our youngest daughter that spent a month with her GM. We packed the '67 tight, even bringing two Hermit crabs in a cage with us. At 6am with the odometer reading 71011 we hit the road. On 6;53am, we enter Iowa, odometer reading 71066. At 8:55am, we needed to stop and stretch our legs near Story City. Odometer read 71170. Back on road.

At 9:45am, we stopped for gas in Des Moines. We got 8.63 gallons but didn't check mileage. Just forgot. At 11:19am, we hit the Missouri state line. 1:10pm, stopped in Liberty, MO for gas, coke and crap. Odometer read 71391 and got 30mpg's. 1:41pm, we arrived in Kansas. At 5:14pm, we stopped in Wichita, KS for the night. We stayed in a Days Inn right on the Turnpike. With it being so close, I had my reservations but I was wrong. Very nice hotel. Gave us a chance to slow down, relax and eat. Luckily, a Braum's was close. Odometer read 71608.

On 7/19 at 7:25am, we were back on the road after a fill-up and mpg check. 7.425 gallons and 29.5mpg's. It was foggy that morning and that made the Turnpike a challenge. 8:19am, we were in Oklahoma.

Now, we had made a stop at Pop's Soda Shop on the trip up but they were closed. Not this time. And I had been wanting to drive Rt. 66 during the daytime as well. This place was great. Over 600 types of bottle soda! We got gas and checked mpg. Odometer reading 71756 and 28mpg's.

And I got my pic on Rt. 66...
One day I will drive the entire length. One day...

At 1:10pm, we entered back into Texas. We elected to go around Dallas as we had traffic due to construction last time. Yep, still hit construction. We used 35W (SB) to SH 287. Drove to Mansfield for gas and another stop at Braum's for lunch. odometer read 71995 and got 31mpg's. We drove to Crockett to spend the night at our place so we could slow down, relax and recharge.

On 7/20, we hit the road to come home. We stopped at Riverside, TX for gas and snacks. Got 27.43mpg's with the odometer reading 72194. At 9:15pm, we arrived back home from the trip. Total miles on return trip: 1329 miles. Return gas used: 42.87 gallons. Mpg for return, 31. Not bad. Had zero problems on the return trip. Would I do it again? Yes. Approx speed for the entire trip was between 60-65mph. I did not mind all the pictures taken, all the people inquiring and finger-pointing by passers' by in the other vehicles. The wife on the other hand... Laughing
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Thanks for the inspiration.
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugdog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
Great thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

Same here. It's been more than a few years since my last big road trip.

Hat's off to you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: