Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any ideas what this one is? (not a buggy, therefore here)
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Any ideas what this one is? (not a buggy, therefore here) Reply with quote

I found a kit car from local car site, it's sold "for spares" but it has papers so it's possible to register, just not functioning (and quite expensive for a project).

Haven't bought it yet, but I went to see it and it should be repairable.

The seller has some background for the chassis: It's imported from Italy somewhere in the 80s and the importer brought 5 of these to here (=Finland) before the kit-car fashion faded out and no more were imported.

So it probably is the last one left here.

I browsed through buggy-gallery here and kit car gallery (http://priceofhistoys.com/gallery/) but IMHO none of the pics fit into this, so I'm out of luck. (Or I just can't see, that's also a possibility.)

At that point I'll ask for a helping hand from the forum: Any ideas what this is?

Here's the ad (sold as a Corvette-replica):
http://www.nettivaraosa.com/kunnostettavat-ajoneuvot/1782349

and here's some pics I've taken:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/vw/img_2831.jpg
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/vw/img_2832.jpg
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/vw/img_2833.jpg

Totally 80s interior, eh?

I have to say that either this is fugly or glorious or both. I can't decide.

What the people are thinking?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... since it was an overseas kit, chances are that few here would know what the name of it was, if there was one. Looks to me almost like a Shala-Vette that's been modified, but there's no way to tell for sure. It's funky.. if it floats your kit boat, then go for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply!

This seems to fall into 'can't decide' -category and in those any outside view is helping.

One thing I have to check is the storage: If there's no more room in there the whole idea is doomed: This kind of car won't survive a Nordic winter outside.

Chassis is from overseas yes but there are a lot of overseas readers here (like me) and someone might know. Even small chance is better than nothing.

I won't say it's pretty but it is just extraordinary or really horrible .... I can't decide, yet.

I had similar doubts with type 34 when I bought it and I'm afraid I still don't know, years later. It doesn't look bad, just ... different.

But it would make deciding at least easier when/if you know what is the Thing(TM)(*) you are buying. Smile

*) Not to be mixed to VW type 181.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pondering this for a long time and then I decided that it's too expensive related to amount of work needed to get it running properly again.

I bought a -74 412 instead, less than half of the price, but running and inspected. It still needs work but less than this would have needed.

Still a kind of oddity in VW scene. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: