Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear tires on 74 super
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerMoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Rear tires on 74 super Reply with quote

Ok folks here ya go. I put 4 brand new tires on my 74 super 1.5yrs ago the front tires are fine but I have to replace the rear tires today as they are down to the steel belts. The rear tires seem to be only wearing down on inside half of the tire the outside half is wearing normal. Any ideas what is causing this and how to correct it?

Thanks in advance Smile

John
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody didn't align them right?
72superdoodle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car is lowered in the rear and the camber has not been indexed/aligned that could be one reason. Or maybe it could be from the rear "squat" issue that some have which can be fixed by adjusting the splines.
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super doodle is right. Hang a weight on a string and let it touch the tire sidewall near the ground then measure the gap between the string and tire at the top. I am sure it will be significant. Once you adjust the camber (many post on how-to now that you know what to search for) you will see the difference in the string measure after.
Also, make sure you rotate your tires. If you had the uneven wear would have been noticed before they were that far gone. For safety sake keep an eye on the tire wear when doing maintenance or washing. Getting to the steel is not safe.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Inner tire wear... Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but if that doesn't work, couldn't that excessive inner wear also be a symptom of worn out torsion bushings? The ones that go at the outer end of the trailing arms where the splines are? If this bug is IRS, which it should be since it is a '74, I'm not sure that lowering it would do such a number on the camber... On a swingaxle bug the typical and classic symptom of slamming it would be inner tire wear at the rear. On an IRS, not so much I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong?

Good luck!
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fat chicks! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, the point is that his camber is off so he is wearing all on the inside halves of the tire. I haven't seen any evidence that it is lowered from his post so I was just recommending he search for the camber issue to see how to fix it. You may be right but it could just have the 40 year squat. Either way it needs to be corrected before he kills another set of rear tires.
RangerMoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have not lowered it however PO may have as I took it to a shop (not my regular shop) and they said it look to be lowered just a bit. I asked how much to fix and they with a straight face said about $1000 because they would have to tear the rear end out just to see what was causing the camber to be off. I just laughed at them and left. As soon as my regular guy gets back from vacation I will have him look at it. So far in the 4 yrs I have owned my bug only one guy has worked on it. I will keep it that way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: