Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions for CB Whip Antennas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BanxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for CB Whip Antennas Reply with quote

Setting up the "Blue" with a CB for Manx on the Banx. Looking for input on the best off road and on road antennas for CB radios. Since I do a good deal of 65+ MPH highways, I am wondering about the best height and composite type to use. Suggestions???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have a problem.... Since body is fiberglass, you have issues with ground plane effect.... Best would probably be fiberglass whip mounted off front (yes front) or rear bumper...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BanxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to ground the antenna to the frame and attach it to the rear tube bumper. I guess my question has more to do with type and height to avoid drag at higher speeds.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am hoping to ground the antenna to the frame and attach it to the rear tube bumper.

That's what I did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ran an 8 foot tall antenna for many years before I decided to run with the shorter one so I don't have to remove it every time I park the buggy in the garage. Even with the 8 foot one, I never noticed any issues with wind resistance. Most of that comes from the flat windshield and all the stuff I put up on the roof.

The CB / antenna setup seems to work well enough, although I never use it while driving. I get a lot of engine noise, and I also find it highly distracting when I'm trying to enjoy the drive. It's there for emergency purposes and also for the weather band.

Lee
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a four foot Firestik 2 and it mounted to my skidplate bumper. I never had a problem with ground plane effect and get great reception. I mounted mine near the center of my rear bumper. You can go to any truckstop on the interstate and get the right antenna and mount for your application.

I would NOT recommend the optional spring. It adds too much length to the antenna and you cant tune it properly. Also, it tends to rotate way too much at speed with the spring.

I would recommend getting an SWR meter and adjusting your antenna for the best SWR. They arent expensive and make a big difference.

This setup went to Big Bear and back from St Louis with no problems.

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Fire Stick antenna. The technical bullitens suggest 2/3 of the height of the antenna be above the height of the top of the vehicle. So, I bought a 5 foot fire stick and it did very well on the ECVW trip. But, with Tims 4 foot doing so well, I would go with a 4 foot if I did it again.

The SWR meter is super cheap at around $ 20.00 and adds life to the transmitter in the CB.

One thing David did for me on the ECVW trip was supply ear buds and the extension cord for the RCA jack on the CB. It let us clearly hear the chatter on the CB even at 70 MPH.

Ground the bumper cage, and then ground the antenna to the cage. The parking Garage's in Saint Lewis and Oceanside sounded like crap with the antenna hitting the sprinkler system pipes overhead, but did not hurt the antenna or the Ninja Duck.

The Ninja Duck was put on by I think Monomanx, (Chris), in Manitou Springs, then rode the rest of the way to CA and back to the East Coast.

As an important side note, do not run a flag on the antenna. The antenna is not made for that kind of drag and will break the antenna off. Ask Mike Dario about this. I do not think he made it very far on the C2C trip with his flag.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on not using the spring on the antenna. Mine has one, and the antenna was really whipping around in the wind last desert trip. Well, it was whipping around until it finally got caught in the carrying strap of one of the chairs on the back of the rack. It was nice and quiet after that. Laughing

Lee
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 foot Antennex mounted to the top of rear hoop. Works great.
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanxBug wrote:
I am hoping to ground the antenna to the frame and attach it to the rear tube bumper. I guess my question has more to do with type and height to avoid drag at higher speeds.

Scott

Dale M. wrote:
Well you have a problem.... Since body is fiberglass, you have issues with ground plane effect.... Best would probably be fiberglass whip mounted off front (yes front) or rear bumper...

Dale

Scott, it took me a while to understand this but what Dale is refering to is not about grounding the antenna... The "ground plane" refers to a large conducting surface that acts as a reflecting surface for radio waves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_plane

Fiberglass is not considered a "ground plane". I'm still hoping to make friends with local HAM people in my area to have them help me 'tune' my setup but looks like CB people and HAM people are somewhat of arch enemies...

I decided to go with an NGP (No Groung Plane) antenna from firestik:
FireFly NGP

My limited online research on NGP is that the performance is going to be less than that of a regular GP antenna but will work beter in a vehicule that has no (or little) reflecting surface to act as a ground plane.

My problem is that I mounted the antenna on the rear bumper and the antenna is picking up the LED tail light inteference probably due to proximity.

Going back to your specific ask about height, we run the 4ft version off the rear bumper mount and drag was not an issue up to 80mph on the ECVW trip.

I believe this was about 65mph:
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local CB radio nuts told me that the metal pan of my buggy was a sufficient ground plane. I don't know if any of them had any professional experience though to back that statement up. I do know that in the mountains in which I use my radio it seems to have decent coverage.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a inner relationship to where antenna is mounted and metal portion of buggy (pan) 'most" antenna designs are for mounting on METAL bodies (of cars and trucks), with fiber glass buggies you don't have that luxury (YES it makes a difference) .... Think more in terms of antenna system that are designed for marine environments (think fiberglass boats).... Also radiating element has a direct relationship to metal mass of that is uses as "ground plane" it has to do with strength and direction of which signal in radiated.... Its called "propagation".... Do your home work well it you what best functionality from your CB.... Like everything there is science behind all this... Also its all about transmitted signal (range) not how well you can hear...

The reason HAM (Armatures) dislike CBers, is because Ham operators have studied for years, on theory and practice and jumped though hoops to get a license and consider themselves the gods of the airways, and CB just had to apply for licence (or maybe no licence now I have lost track) and have much of same abilities (talk) and didn't care about the science or protocols Amateurs practiced.... Its like to two different religious cults praying to same god...

As a side note I put magnet mount on hood of my Jeep and every body laughs, but magnets don't stick to well to fiberglass top on Jeep, and system I use is portable (borrowed) so no permanent mounts drilled into body or bumpers...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the topic of radios, when Kevin and I led runs for the Manx Club in Big Bear we used hand held FRS radios to communicate with each other. Being separated by 35 or so buggies meant the CB was pretty much worthless, especially with several members of the group having conversations unrelated to the run.

The FRS radios worked great up to about a mile, even in the canyons, and had none of the hash, trash, engine noise, or other annoyances typically associated with CB radios. They also didn't require any antennas to be mounted on the buggies. Wink

Lee
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How... bout.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564872

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an important side note, do not run a flag on the antenna. The antenna is not made for that kind of drag and will break the antenna off. Ask Mike Dario about this. I do not think he made it very far on the C2C trip with his flag.

Actually I did make it to some where between Oklahoma City and Little Rock before it broke, and then there were a couple of them left along the roads in Baja Mexico! (not me though)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel 102" whip with spring mount. Mount it near the top of the buggy, as high up as possible. Don't worry about hooking it up to a radio. Just the 'cool' factor of it bending rearward under the strain of highway speeds is enough to 'outman' any State Trooper and cause him such shame in his 'deficit of manhood' in your presence, that he will turn around and go donut hunting!

Plus, it is really cool to look out and see your silhouette on the ground with that antenna 'indicating' that you are indeed approaching Mach .95.

Added bonus: tree-whacker effect is awesome!!!!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an MLB 2700DC (cut to 27.185 mhz if needed) dc being direct coupled. Mount on an L bracket anywhere.
Works fine with very little reflected.
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeVW wrote:
Since we're on the topic of radios, when Kevin and I led runs for the Manx Club in Big Bear we used hand held FRS radios to communicate with each other. Being separated by 35 or so buggies meant the CB was pretty much worthless, especially with several members of the group having conversations unrelated to the run.

The FRS radios worked great up to about a mile, even in the canyons, and had none of the hash, trash, engine noise, or other annoyances typically associated with CB radios. They also didn't require any antennas to be mounted on the buggies. Wink

Lee

We had FRS radios too, but when a CB and antenna are tuned together correctly on Channel 20 for an SWR of between 1.0 to 1.5, then the reception and power of transmission should be good for a few miles. I know that I can hear trucker chatter for at least 5 miles in my truck and my buggy. I never had a problem talking with my daughter in the chase truck when she was at the back and I was near the front.

Dont get me wrong, FRS radios are great. We use them at work. Just a properly tuned CB will do the job better, IMHO.

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was on CB band there was so much "freakin" NOISE you could not hear anything (unless other radio was right next to you) ....

Dale

LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBofRB,

I have no doubt that a properly tuned vehicle based CB will reach out and receive better than a typical handheld FRS radio. CB used to be my hobby back in the early nineties. I once shot skip to Victoria, Australia while sitting on a hilltop in Orange County, CA. The big problem in Big Bear was the fact that the altitude of the mountain caused us to hear every idiot in Southern California. The CB was just a bunch of trash and noise whereas the FRS was nice and quiet except when someone in our group was talking on it.

Lee
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the Blue group off road at Big Bear and used my ear buds with the CB. I had no problem hearing what was going on. Listened to the break downs and when they started back up. I did not get the chatter from off the mountain.

It was also fun to listen to Tim and Kim talk back and forth while on the ECVW trip. Now, Vincent was a little hard to understand, but he must have some kind of accent or something.

I have yet to tune the antenna, just did not have time before we left on the ECVW trip. I tried not to talk on it much so I would not damage the transmitter before tuning it. It is on my buggy "to do" list.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: