Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oh god, time to tackle the transmission...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Oh god, time to tackle the transmission... Reply with quote

Ok, so my '70 has unknown millage but I know that it's almost ready to hit 200,000 or it's possible that it's ready to hit 300,000. I don't know. Either way, the transmission is having and has had for a long time some problems. 1st gear is really hard to find (there should be some sort of guide on the driver side to help it go in but there's not so the shifter can go too far toward the driver and when you go to put it in 1st, it's like it's hitting a wall), 2nd gear is also hard to find, stiff and always grinds in a downshift, 3rd gear is stiff and WAY over to the passenger side and up diagonally, 4th gear is also a weird angle and frighteningly close to 2nd and finally, reverse does not allow me to push down and shift; it simply goes over and down (what the heck?!). I've replaced the shift coupler, shift bushing and shifter (there was an Empi E-Z shift in it previously; anyone interested in it?). Does $650 sound a bit cheap for a brand new transmission?
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh god, time to tackle the transmission... Reply with quote

If first and second are hard to find, and reverse doesn't need the push-down, are you missing your reverse lockout plate? That grind in 2nd is probably you putting the trans into reverse! Shocked

(image from 'cajun jamie' in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362501)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh god, time to tackle the transmission... Reply with quote

luvtheeluvbug wrote:
. Does $650 sound a bit cheap for a brand new transmission?

$699 for a Rancho rebuilt trans with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty is a bargain. I sell late model foreign and domestic new and rebuilt transmissions that are $2000 to $4000. I rebuild engines and differentials myself, but wouldn't even think about rebuilding a VW trans. One phone call and a Visa card - done.

Who were you looking at? Check the buyer and seller feedback. Rancho and Wright would be my top choices.

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with WD, if the gear shift lever is at a weird angle, the shifter is not adjusted right and can cause you all kinds of grief.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Grifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, check what WD said. Even if you have the shift plate, it might be in wrong. The little ramp goes up, and on the right side.
Stock SP, Bosch vac advance
30PICT-3 swapped to a 30PICT-1

"At least I know that I don't know. Question is are you bozos smart enough to feel stupid? Hope so"

durhamfirecaptain wrote:
Wow, we have VW's in North Carolina?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift plate as mentioned.

When was last time the gear oil level in the transaxle was last checked or even changed???

Shift linkage bushing, and bushing bracket might need replacing.

Shift coupler bolts loose (must be tight and safety wired to keep tight) or shift coupler breaking up.

Fix, fix, fix.....
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift bushing and the coupler have both been replaced and the coupler set screw secured with safety wire. When I got the car, it had a vintage Empi E-Z shifter in it which I had tried many times to adjust because the car came with the shifting problem. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I bought an original style shifter and it helped a little but not much. Trust me, I've at least look at all the obvious places. I feel that either the transmission is simply worn out or that the hockey stick is not engaging properly.
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens.. Syncros, bearings and bushings do wear out! Seems to me like you have a decent handle on the basics.. If you already took care of the typical external wear items and still have the same issues, well...
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is stiff shifting a sign of wear?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, stiff shifting is not a sign of wear. Also, check your motor mounts, maybe the trans has moved causing the weird shifter angle and the stiffness.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor mounts are new also.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to stiff shifting we have been having similar trouble with a 70 bug. Replaced shifter, shift rod support bushing, and coupler .. all that did was take the play out of the shift mechanism. We drained some thick nasty fluid out of it and added Redline MTL. In desperation, we have been spraying the hocky stick with PB Blaster and rowing the crap out of the shifter to get it to work its way down the hocky stick, and also blasted the shift rod at the support bushing .. fingers crossed, seems to be getting better

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=600636&highlight=nose+cone+play

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
In regards to stiff shifting we have been having similar trouble with a 70 bug. Replaced shifter, shift rod support bushing, and coupler .. all that did was take the play out of the shift mechanism. We drained some thick nasty fluid out of it and added Redline MTL. In desperation, we have been spraying the hocky stick with PB Blaster and rowing the crap out of the shifter to get it to work its way down the hocky stick, and also blasted the shift rod at the support bushing .. fingers crossed, seems to be getting better

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=600636&highlight=nose+cone+play

I just read your thread and I am having the exact same problem. I have know idea what to do except change the trans. The motor runs like a champ but leaks oil like a clogged rain gutter so I guess it's time to pull everything out anyways. Everyone has been telling me to change all the standard stuff but I've already done that so I don't know what else to do.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now - knock on wood - the shifter is working perfectly. I mean silky smooth. I think that old nasty fluid had coagulated around the hocky stick. I think shooting PB Blaster on it and rowing the hell out of the shifter (and I mean I got mad at it.. I beat that thing like it owed me money) is what did the trick.

But in your case if the motor has to come out anyway, might as well go with a rebuilt trans at the same time that way you know everything is right and you have piece of mind with a warranty for the next 5 years.

luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just still a little baffled as to the awkward shift pattern. I mean, you can't go into reverse if you push down; it's just over and back. And first gear is simply not right!
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the spring in there properly? you shouldn't be able to go into reverse without pushing down first. even without the trans connected, the reverse lockout should still exist. sounds like something not assembled properly in the shifter or the lock plate is not installed properly

luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, the motor and transmission were pulled today. A very grungy job indeed as the motor leaks oil like a course screen and I live on a long dirt road; I'll let you put those two together. The CV joints by the wheels are very good but the ones on the transmission ends are both worn. The starter is toast. Regarding the main problem, the transmission is going to the Parts House in Modesto to get rebuilt. I'm a little nervous because I don't want to get the same response from the mechanic that I've gotten from everyone else which is "did you check that, replace this? Well, I've never heard of that problem...". Wish me luck!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the nosecone and see if shift rod is bent.

Grinding into second may be worn syncro, or may be hitting reverse, actually...... it is hitting reverse isn't it.......lets say both

all other complaints are shifter related, not gear related. sorry to say!!!

The angle of the shifter is from the shift rod to the shifter, has NOTHINg to do with inside the voo-doo land.
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your advice but I've already checked everything that everyone has mentioned. I've replaced the shift bushing and in doing that I pulled out the shift rod and it's as straight as the day it came out of the factory. I've replaced the vintage Empi E-Z shifter with a stock shifter and I've replaced the shifting coupler. Yes, the lock-out plate is installed correctly. The problem is not forward of the transmission. When I pulled it out, I took a pair of vice grips and clamped the shift rod coming out of the transmission and tried to go through all the gears; stiff and grinding. The car was in a flood years ago and as far as I know, the nose cone could be full of mud! Either way, it's the rebuilder's problem now.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool!

When you get it back just make sure your shifter is guiding correctly,
so the set screw in the coupler is to be straight up when in the 1/2 throws.
I'm not sure if it says so in the manuals, but that's how it's supposed to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: