Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have a chance to buy this... Rabbit Pickup
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Have a chance to buy this... Rabbit Pickup Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't know anything about the VW water cooled scene but always wanted Rabbit pickup! Alls I know about it is its got a 2.0 L turbo and some suspension upgrades. Looks like a midget truck next to that Ram!! Razz Seller wants around $2200. Have not test driven yet. Thoughts, opinions, philosophies?

Thx

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one, Actually they can be a really dependable piece of transportation. That seems to be a pretty good price. Sure could use some paint though! Mine had the little gas engine (1388cc) and got over 30mpg even in town. I used to over load it all the time. Tough little truck. Not much suspension though. When overloaded they just set on the stops. It will need new shocks and brakes etc, The electrical on them can be a problem. It's just water getting in around the radio antenna wire though. Goes right over the fuse block where it drips into the fuses and relays there. It will need CV joints at some point. Great little vehicle though. Good heat, Safe on the Ice if you stud the front tires and don't ever try to slow down in a lower gear. That engine though isn't going to get 30mpgs though!
Check the frame and body for rust up in the Mac Strut wells! (Mud packs in and they rust out!)
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Have a chance to buy this... Rabbit Pickup Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Don't know anything about the VW water cooled scene but always wanted Rabbit pickup! Alls I know about it is its got a 2.0 L turbo and some suspension upgrades. Looks like a midget truck next to that Ram!! Razz Seller wants around $2200. Have not test driven yet. Thoughts, opinions, philosophies?

Thx

Sweet ride-------but do I spy a puddle of oil by the left front wheel? Confused
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a chance to buy this... Rabbit Pickup Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Sweet ride-------but do I spy a puddle of oil by the left front wheel? Confused

Good eye- thx for pointing that out. Hmmm. Think

1600 SP engine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way over to the side like that it's not the engine! Could be coolant! But if oil it could be the turbo if it's on that side?
This may be a better deal: Probably Gets 40 or 50 Miles Per gallon too!
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit on trovit!

veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you plan on using it for and what you want out of it. Daily driver with good gas mileage?, a light truck to haul things?, a little street rod? The beginnings of a restoration project?

Then it depends on what kind of money you are willing to dump into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not be a DD or rodded. Would just be a vehicle to haul stuff so I would not have to ask friends/ neighbors anymore Very Happy

1600 SP engine
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that truck gas or diesel? That car looks like it's set up for mild street rod (turbo motor, suspension). You are definitely going to have to change the rims and tires. You'll wind up rubbing tires into the fender the minute you put a load in the bed and that's hoping there are no engine problems to fix if it was a inexperienced DIY engine swap or turbo conversion. I have a 1.8L GTI motor in mine and I've hauled car parts, entire engines and towed my air cooled VWs from San Diego to Sacramento with zero problems. Can't guarantee you'll have the same experience though since I really don't know that much about that particular truck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs, isn't rotten, and has all the truck specific parts...buy it. That is a diesel specific grill..(all n/a Rabbit grills interchange). Should be a 1.7L gas or 1.6L diesel...but many of the gas have been upgraded to the GTI or later Golf 1.8L (bolt in affair) and the diesel is easily turbocharged.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: