Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 69 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have widened custom pedals built if your feet are too big? Wink I usually just drive barefoot as I wear 13's.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grnerd wrote:
So I finally got a chance to get in and look at the pedal situation and I discovered a few tings. First, I can't wait until I have the time and money to do a full tear apart and rebuild to clean up the car... Second I am anxiously awating my shop manual because I can't figure out what goes to what.

Here is a picture of the break pedal in relation to the gas...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here is a loose spring. Not sure if it goes to the gas or the brake... it's kind of hard to see, I will try to get a better shot after dinner.

That loose spring was your problem. It is for the brake and would create the spring pressure you need to get rid of the looseness.

I would recommend upgrading your gas pedal assembly with the Unique Parts upgrade. Check out their website.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would recommend upgrading your gas pedal assembly with the Unique Parts upgrade. Check out their website.

Ordered! Thanks for the tip.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it odd that my Squareback does not have any badges on the back? Isn't there usually a volkswagen or something on there?

Riekert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally comes with the volkswagen badge as well as a 1500 badge. Could very well be that they removed it after the respray and didn't want to put em back
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekert wrote:
Normally comes with the volkswagen badge as well as a 1500 badge. Could very well be that they removed it after the respray and didn't want to put em back

It's actually kind of funny to see people drive up behind me and then crane their necks as the go around trying to figure out what kind of car it is Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekert wrote:

Over here (the USA) we got the Volkswagen and usually a thin bar underneath it (fills in the Variant script other countries got). Here's a pic of my old 69 Square.

But, I'd bet it was filled in when they did the body work on the car, and never drilled the holes back out.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to the best process of "restoring" a part. That pedal cluster, for example.

My plan is to clean and degrease it, but is there a favorite solvent?

I have a media blasting cabinet with glass beads, so I will clean the rust off after washing it. I am sure I will have to mask off the shaft so I don't damage that at all.

What next? Can you recommend a paint?
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mask off the shaft & any shiny surface from blasting. You can send out & powder coat. Epoxy prime, filler prime & paint. Epoxy prime, paint. Rattle can prime & paint. The choice is all yours ( budget not with standing). The big thing is clean and grease the crap out of it so you will have years of use.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grnerd wrote:
Is it odd that my Squareback does not have any badges on the back? Isn't there usually a volkswagen or something on there?

Badges are funny... in the USA we often have different ones than in Europe and in other countries. We often got "Volkswagen" since about 1967 while other countries got scripts that indicated displacement (e.g., Bugs got "VW1500" in '67 while we got "Volkswagen").

On the water-cooled cars, in the USA we like early "GOLF" badges while the US "Rabbit" is popular in Europe. I guess we are all non-conformists/contrarians at heart?

"Variant" was too much like the Plymouth "Valiant" name and so VW left it off USA models.

I have a fixation on them and when I restored by American '71 Type 3 fastback, I had a custom "stock imitation" script made up that said "VW1600TLE" to match the Euro script, since those are extremely rare in the US and even overseas, since FI was a rather rare option outside the US.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
mask off the shaft & any shiny surface from blasting. You can send out & powder coat. Epoxy prime, filler prime & paint. Epoxy prime, paint. Rattle can prime & paint. The choice is all yours ( budget not with standing). The big thing is clean and grease the crap out of it so you will have years of use.

Yup, all the above, and while it's apart, drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk fitting (top in between the steel legs to the pedal), so you can grease it. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: