Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible top question form a Thing Newbie
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Convertible top question form a Thing Newbie Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
I just got my first Thing a 1974 and it has the original top on it. Not is real bad shape but I would like to get a new top and side curtains. The frame looks in good shape not rusted and the frames on the side curtains are in good shape as far as I can tell. At least there are no soft or bubbled spots. With all that said I would like to get a top and side curtains and not sure who to purchase then from. I have looked at the Haartz Stayfast Vinyl as well as the Canvas from M&T MFG., the tops form The Thing Shop and seen some on Ebay. I am not sure I can afford the Thing shop at this time due to the high cost of the side curtains. I have not seen anything reviews on M&T MFG. So if anyone can give me some advise I would appreciate it very much. I am excited to have purchased the Thing. I have wanted one since I was a teenager watching the commercials on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing shop is worth the money...save up and do it right.
1911tex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second TTS for top and bows.....cant say enough how perfect the fit and finish. Not cheap, but you get what thou payest for !
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Robbins top for 7 years before it needed replacing. I now have a Thing Shop top going on 14 years. My car is a daily driver, but I live in CA and the top is down about half of the year.

As far as your side curtains are concerned if you sides are good but the clear plastic needs replacing look for a boat uph repair place in your neighborhood-they often replace the plastic on boats all of the time.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your stock Side Curtains with TTS convertible top. That is what I did until I decided to go with TTS slider side curtains.
GBliar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will just go with the TTS top and either get a shop to make the curtains or buy the new curtains next later this year. Might be a Christmas Gift If I am a good boy Smile Is there anything extra I would need other than the hardware they suggest for the install? I would like to order tonight.

Thanks
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a call and they will help you order what you need. Ask them to include the installation DVD as well-it is very helpful to see how to install it properly before you attack the project yourself!
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the difference side by side between the Robbins, and TTS tops. The latter is definitely worth the extra money.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my current TTS top with their heavy duty frame since 2003...
It is holding up Very well, and well worth the $$$
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Go THING Shop Reply with quote

I just installed a THING shop top on my 73 back in March.

very nice quality

It actually replaced a prev TTS top that was about 15years old.

Thats not too bad a time frame to get out of 1 top is it?

I ripped it by NOT FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS Evil or Very Mad
I dropped the top by myself and ripped the driver front edge flip/folding the sides in to roll it up. I was kinda worn on the backside and finally ripped.

I donated it to a fellow Thinger to use a a template for a chopped top Thing.

(Hope he could use it). Learned my lesson too, get 2 people to drop or raise top safely!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
GBliar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the top from TTS along with the installation kit. I will see how that goes and use the side curtains I have for now. This will be the first top I will attempt to install so hope I can do it correctly. They say it comes with a video.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBliar wrote:
I ordered the top from TTS along with the installation kit. I will see how that goes and use the side curtains I have for now. This will be the first top I will attempt to install so hope I can do it correctly. They say it comes with a video.

It does come with the video, I watched it a few times to make sure i understood the methods.

here's my link on the process that I recently did:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580780&highlight=glue

Note, dont try to put up the top and clamp it to the window COLD, it can Rip the top or be very tough to put up. Get it in the SUN and GET IT HOT then after 20 to 45 min after it's good n hot try to slowly put it thru the steps to put the top up and clamp to windshield.

I let mine hang top up but not clamped to window for that time frame.

i thought my top was going to rip cause it was about 6in from the windshield and not moving (when cold) but after some heat time with the sun, it acted more normal and i was able to clamp it, and after some more heat time i was able to lock the clamps, I did it slow so not to damage anything.

Good luck!

T
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top made it here on Saturday. I was so excited to get started so I unboxed and grabbed the DVD and hit the couch. Watched that thing a few times and started tearing the old top off. The frame was bent in a few spots so Grabbed the trusty hammer and started straightening the frame. It did really well better than I first thought. I have waffled back and forth on why didn't I just buy the whole top and frame why don't I just order a new frame Why Why Why. So I decided to just clean it up and repaint the frame. Looks good. Watch the video a couple more times and then thought maybe I should take it to the upholstery shop maybe I should do this maybe I should do that. Finally I just started and it went a lot better and easier than I thought it would but now can't find the Super 77 What the heck. I will just stop and get a refreshment and stop after work tomorrow to get the Super 77 and get a little further. I was somewhat intimidated with the setup they have in the video but when you do this all the time you have the tools and equipment needed to do the job. Me I had to make a trip to the local TSC to find a hunk of metal to install the clips. Got it now might not need it again but well worth the $4.00. Bench is set up and should get the rest of the top installed onto the frame tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblair wrote:
The top made it here on Saturday. I was so excited to get started so I unboxed and grabbed the DVD and hit the couch. Watched that thing a few times and started tearing the old top off. The frame was bent in a few spots so Grabbed the trusty hammer and started straightening the frame. It did really well better than I first thought. I have waffled back and forth on why didn't I just buy the whole top and frame why don't I just order a new frame Why Why Why. So I decided to just clean it up and repaint the frame. Looks good. Watch the video a couple more times and then thought maybe I should take it to the upholstery shop maybe I should do this maybe I should do that. Finally I just started and it went a lot better and easier than I thought it would but now can't find the Super 77 What the heck. I will just stop and get a refreshment and stop after work tomorrow to get the Super 77 and get a little further. I was somewhat intimidated with the setup they have in the video but when you do this all the time you have the tools and equipment needed to do the job. Me I had to make a trip to the local TSC to find a hunk of metal to install the clips. Got it now might not need it again but well worth the $4.00. Bench is set up and should get the rest of the top installed onto the frame tomorrow.

Go man Go!

and aparently the "glue" isn't the big deal i thought I was, there are some pro's on here that'd been doing this for years and they never use glue.

I "stuck" with it cause i thought it would help a leak i'd had previously, so after redoing the top, windshield gaskets (all of em) and I still got the leak?
Aparently the windshield gasket dont fit snug to the top of the frame on my THING, the rear view mirror's spring contraption in the windhsheild frame is causing the gasket not to fit flush, may need to pull and trim to get it to fit right.

Also, i got some wind noise afterwards and put some extra foam gasket material (like from lowes/homedepot) on the winshield frame to top (put it on the top itself) it fixed the air noise.

Hey good luck with it and you can say you did it!

T
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am glad I listened to everyone and got the top from TTS. I got it on and it was much easier than I thought it would be and It Looks Great.
Thank for the advise.
Gerald
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Gerald!! Wink

Nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself(and succeeding!!)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Looks great, Gerald!! Wink

Nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself(and succeeding!!)

X2! Applause Looks Great!
Good Job, now dont you feel better?!? LOL
T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: