Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Alright Guys and gals, little less than a month ago i aquired 2 1959 Beetles and a 1962 Karmann Ghia for a Wopping $100. Sounds Like fun right? Well both 59's have matching numbers and yada yada. The baja'd one, as the title implies, has a factory ragtop, so i figure it'll be the first to be fixed up. the order of buisness goes as rust and floor/heater pannel..etc to make it structurally sound before attempting to add the front and rear clips back to it. (no small task). I wish I had taken pics upon first seeing the lil rust demons. Both were filled to the brim with scrap metal to be taken to the scrap yard, and lord the rat crap.... some places a whole foot deep. and the floors.... forget about it. I've been getting after it though, and its missing some progression pics, but there's enough to show what''s been done so far. Grab some Pop corn and a timer, while i embark on my first comprehensive restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body Off of frame

Rear Pic

Side and rear glass

Chassis after Pan and engine removal

Engine stripped to longblock

Engine assembly

Transaxle

Transmission mount plate is broken here. Will need welding

Front end

Got her up on saw horses to see the underside

A Bunch of interior pics/ rust locations

Hey Look, a door pannel!!!

Rear pic

Started stripping paint just to see how much crap on the car was just crud vs rust
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to mention that the chassis has very little rust( WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT) and that i already have my new floor to put in. ( pics will come soon). Also the engine that came in it is a 36 hp stamped 59 on the case....but it is set up solid. tried about everything to get the heads off, even made a tool. probably gonna have to apply brute force and...dddestroy them Crying or Very sad The block still had plently of oil in the bottom end, with no imulsification, so i might get by with a top end rebuild (wont know till the heads are off)
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the front trans mount has been hacked to fit that later model trans.

The original split case trans used a different front mount.
Been a very long time since I worked on anything that early but I'm sure you had to weld in a different mount to take the later transmissions.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That will buff right out Very Happy

Welcome and have fun..... Nothing like a challenge to use up all that spare time and money that you didn't know how to get rid of

I learned a bunch of neat fix up tricks just reading build threads as I worked on mine

Do you have the correct Bently repair book ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, do you have good paper for that car?
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Just curious, do you have good paper for that car?

No, Gonna have to go the bonded title route, but i know the owner of the land. When he bought the land in the late 70's they were sitting there. Pretty sure i wont have problems with stolen/ lost claims. A shame really for it to sit so long. Oh and i have the splitcase trans around here somewhere. It's gotten shuffled around( for some reason it was still with the car)
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Very Happy That will buff right out Very Happy

Welcome and have fun..... Nothing like a challenge to use up all that spare time and money that you didn't know how to get rid of

I learned a bunch of neat fix up tricks just reading build threads as I worked on mine

Do you have the correct Bently repair book ?

Ive got pretty much one of everything except a "bently" Muir idiot book, haynes,chilton...half a dozen others
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your project. Price was great and with some work you will end up with a nice numbers matching car.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sir, is an ambitious project you've got going there! It's certainly very repairable with the right amount of time, skills, $ and ambition.

My only STRONG recommendation is to buy the best quality replacement panels you can get! What would be even better is to buy some replacement, donor panels to replace those heater channels, package shelf and other pieces.

There are still lots of early parts bugs out there that people are will to cut panels off of. Nothing fits like the original parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That sir, is an ambitious project you've got going there! It's certainly very repairable with the right amount of time, skills, $ and ambition.

My only STRONG recommendation is to buy the best quality replacement panels you can get! What would be even better is to buy some replacement, donor panels to replace those heater channels, package shelf and other pieces.

There are still lots of early parts bugs out there that people are will to cut panels off of. Nothing fits like the original parts.

Original metal for the package shelf is high priority, as well as a few others, but most of this car will be done with new metal. (sorry to all the purist fascists who may get offended by this endeavor) Heater channels and bottom door pillar pieces will not be original metal cutting up old channels and putting em in another beetle doesn't make a lick of sense in my mind( i realize quality is somewhat of an issue). For those here for moral support, i thank you, and i shall get some more pics of progress later today
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES no title! I think I would stop working on this until I had good paper in hand!

Without good paper for sure the car isn't yours and you may not be able to enjoy it when it's done! Don't wait to cross that bridge when you get there. You may find out the bridge washed away!

Different states are more difficult then others, but you really should make sure you are covered before pouring more time, effort and money into this thing.

Title issues have caused me grief in the past so this advice is coming from someone who went through all sorts of hell trying to get paper. In my case I bought a car that I just had to have. (a 50 split window) The seller didn't have the title the day I paid him but promised to supply it latter.

Long story short, it turned out the car didn't belong to him. It belonged to his father and when i finally got a hold of his father after two years, he wanted HIS car back! In the end, it took 4 years and much time and money before it turned out OK and I got good paper. But for every happy ending there are also many horror stories.

So protect yourself and work on the paperwork issues first so you can enjoy the rest of the project.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Original metal for the package shelf is high priority, as well as a few others, but most of this car will be done with new metal. (sorry to all the purist fascists who may get offended by this endeavor) Heater channels and bottom door pillar pieces will not be original metal cutting up old channels and putting em in another beetle doesn't make a lick of sense in my mind( i realize quality is somewhat of an issue). For those here for moral support, i thank you, and i shall get some more pics of progress later today

It has nothing to do with a purist aspect. I was simply letting you know and learn from me and others that finding the best metal you can get will save you loads of time and frustration fitting cheap, crappy and poor fitting panels w/metal that is much thinner than original.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Bret2094 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

It has nothing to do with a purist aspect. I was simply letting you know and learn from me and others that finding the best metal you can get will save you loads of time and frustration fitting cheap, crappy and poor fitting panels w/metal that is much thinner than original.

I'm not calling you out, just making a blanket statement to dissuade others from hating on my future non original modifications. As far as the need for papers, I have a bill of sale, and i will not be making many more big purchases for this car ( I'm a college student who works on beetles during the summer and winter break) I've got very little time left this summer, so I will be focusing on the documentation starting two weeks from now
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, shouldn't the lifter and pushrod on 36 hp come out when you pull on em? Some are out, but the rest are still in, more specifically the right side of the engine refuses to give em up!
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they should come out. There is a steel plate deal inside the case that locates them. Maybe things in there got rusty and just don't want to let go.

if they are really stuck you should be able to work around that. Just leave them in place. After you get the heads and cylinders off, split the case and you will be able to deal with them pretty easy at that point.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the heads are off (toast by the way) I managed to get 4 of em out no problem, but there's a whole side that's still aflicted. sprayed some penetrating oil inside the cylinders and where the lifters go in, gonna give them a good yanking later tomorrow morning. I really want to get them out, so i dont have to worry about bending them
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Updates

Funky nasty locked up Cylinders with the heads off

Cleaned out all the junk outta the defrost tube area...

Found a wrist watch, part of a 12 gauge shot shell and a hub tool
Bunch of pics with the car being stripped

Window out

Shit...Found some bondo

Roof

Good Day's work

1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not buying em anytime soon, but what year front and rear clips would be the same as stock for my 59? Just 58-59 or 58-61...etc? figure i'll go ahead and be on the prowl for some vintage metal
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56-60 front and rear clips, though the 60 model year rear apron would require some adjustments to the engine seal retainer location, as that year had a one year only front transaxle mount that put the engine at a slightly different angle to the rest.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Haha the last couple days i didn't get pics, but all of the rust was treated with phosphoric acid and let sit overnight.(interior wire brushed first) I did that twice and cleaned the metal before shooting primer. Didn't have my paint mix quite right , so the primer on one side got some streaking. bahhhhhhh. Didn't shoot my trunk or engine bay, since they need blasting. I'll get pics up tomorrow
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: