Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All 4 Wheels on my Oval date stamed 11/72??? Head Scratcher
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: All 4 Wheels on my Oval date stamed 11/72??? Head Scratcher Reply with quote

My 56 oval is from the Monterey/Seaside area. It spent all it's life there until 2010. I swapped the wheels for a set of powder coated ones until I restore these and was very surprised by how clean the wheels were on the inside (between the beads, where hidden by the tire). Every wheel has the remains of shipping stickers from VOA to the dealer at the Monterey Peninsula (Wester) dealer. I thought that was odd so I stripped the paint to find the date stamp and they are stamped 11/72. This car is very original and has only been painted once, back in 2010.

I wonder if the wheels were stolen at some point? I have been theorizing and that is the only reason I can come up with so far for replacing all 4 wheels back in the 70s.

Any thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are 1872.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a zip code on the sticker those started in the early 70's.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe zip codes started in early to mid 60s.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely the date stamp, and I would say that they are just what you think they are, dealer replacement wheels dated 1972. It makes sense to me. It had only been 5 years since VW had stopped running smoothies on the the beetle, so I'm sure there was enough of a demand to continue manufacturing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time I have heard of a car needing 4 new wheels was a car that hit a cattle grid at 100mph or so and destroyed all 4 alloy wheels, not too likely with steelies and a 36hp...
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your wheels have a safety bead on the rim? I think VW started with the safety bead in late 67. Perhaps the replacement wheels with hub cap clips also had the safety beads, hence the owner decided to play it safe and go with a more modern rim design. There was a lot of hype when radial tires started coming to the market about tires rolling off rims, not much of it true unless you were pushing a huge amount of weight around a corner with very low air pressure.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Do your wheels have a safety bead on the rim? I think VW started with the safety bead in late 67. Perhaps the replacement wheels with hub cap clips also had the safety beads, hence the owner decided to play it safe and go with a more modern rim design. There was a lot of hype when radial tires started coming to the market about tires rolling off rims, not much of it true unless you were pushing a huge amount of weight around a corner with very low air pressure.

Exactly what I was going to post. The replacement rims should have safety beads. It was the law that all new rims sold had to have them. And the replacements I've seen also used the narrower air stem, and not the larger diameter ones like the originals.

Heinz Nordhoff
1956vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Snort wrote:

Exactly what I was going to post. The replacement rims should have safety beads. It was the law that all new rims sold had to have them. And the replacements I've seen also used the narrower air stem, and not the larger diameter ones like the originals.

In this picture it looks like they do have the safety bead, sightly raised prior to dropping towards center of wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: