Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C fans pull battery voltage way down
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show continues...

Cleaning up the metal around the point of contact for the ground braid has helped. But I'm still seeing under 10A (at least it's over the 5-6A seen before) even with the A/C running. On the road, with no lights, A/C, radio, etc., the battery hit something like 13.65 after a while. Turn on the radio, not so good but OK. Turn on the A/C and the voltage drops, but only to about 12.7 but continues to slowly drop further. The alternator's output still isn't properly reaching the battery.

Oh, and here's a really weird point: sitting at idle, the battery comes up to about 13.65. Rev the engine the least bit (or run at road speeds) and the voltage drops to 13.45-13.5. Get off the gas and it's back to 13.65. Say what???

I'm going to replace the ground braid, sand the grounding point a bit more, and re-check the wires on the starter. If that doesn't do it, all I can think of is the engine ground.

Has anyone added an engine ground on a WBX? How did you do it?

Beyond that, I'll see about replacing the alternator. it may just be DOA.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RBEmerson"]The next steps: 1) reinstall the battery cable, 2) personally haul the battery off to be re-tested, 3) replace the battery if it's marginal (on a 6 month old battery???).[/quote]

How much of this do you have done?? Shocked
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<The alternator is a new (re-manufactured) alternator. I have the test slip for it. Volts and amps are fine. Probably the core was OK, too.>>

How much of this is true?
You changed the alternator or "somebody" told you it was new?

There for sure is a bunch of back pedaling going on in this post.

Get a new battey in the Van.
Get a new cable from the starter to the battery.
Get a new Alternator in the Van.
Clean all of the grounds.
Get a Milton charging system tester and then report back.

You are just spinning your wheels until you get all of this dialed in.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:
The next steps: 1) reinstall the battery cable, 2) personally haul the battery off to be re-tested, 3) replace the battery if it's marginal (on a 6 month old battery???).

How much of this do you have done?? Shocked

Read my posts. Rolling Eyes

1) Done
2) Done - CCA=778, spec is 650
3) no need, see 2)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
<<The alternator is a new (re-manufactured) alternator. I have the test slip for it. Volts and amps are fine. Probably the core was OK, too.>>

New = not the alternator on the van when I bought it.

Quote:
How much of this is true?
You changed the alternator or "somebody" told you it was new?

If I said it, it's so. Any further questions?

Quote:
There for sure is a bunch of back pedaling going on in this post.

No! You are so busy playing being a hard case you don't read what's written.

Quote:
Get a new battey in the Van.
Get a new cable from the starter to the battery.
Get a new Alternator in the Van.
Clean all of the grounds.
Get a Milton charging system tester and then report back.

You are just spinning your wheels until you get all of this dialed in.

Easy for you to say when you're spending my money.

Terry, I have tried very hard to be decent with you. I thought we had some sort of working relationship. Obviously not. You've worn out your welcome here.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automotive batteries usually have 2 amp numbers like 650/810
The first is CCA, COLD cranking amps, when the battery is at 0 degrees F.
I doubt they put your battery in a deep freeze over night.
The second larger number is CA, cranking amps.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/automotive-tr...2147384903

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/automotive-tr...2147384903

Mark

RBEmerson wrote:

2) Done - CCA=778, spec is 650
3) no need, see 2)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fully believe 778 CCA number, either. The reported ambient temperature (I kept the tape with the test results) was 78F. NTL, that puts the battery further down in the list of suspects. Remember that, standing completely disconnected, there was virtually no voltage drop after after something close to 12 hours. If a cell was beginning to short out (plate warpage, for example) the voltage wouldn't be so stable. For now, I'm focusing on grounding.

The disaster with the battery box ground (painted over ground plate, corroded terminal) has me thinking I haven't found all of the wiring "Easter eggs" the PO left behind. Given his poor electrical work in general, I'm sure they're around. All I need to do is find them...

Also, remember the engine and transaxle were replaced about 5 years ago. I don't know anything about who did what parts of the work and how well they did it. That means that they may not have done the right things electrically. I'm still new to Vanagons, so I'm having trouble distinguishing original VW work from later work of varying quality. Some of it is "no brainer" easy: 2-3 cable ties strung together to hold a coolant hose in place is probably not something done in Wolfsburg. But there's some stuff I'm not so sure about. Anyway, I'm focusing on making sure the grounds are as good as the wiring from the alternator to the battery. "Circuit" is the name of the electrical game. Smile
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rick,
I've been pretty calm here, with your mamby pamby information, and cave man repair proceedures.
In one post you retorted with : it's all been done, the next post it's going to be done & I'm spending your money, without even mentioning you refuse to to do the job with the correct tools.
Perhaps you haven't figured out yet that you jumped into this bottomless pit on your own, I had nothing to do with that, and after you ask questions refuse to follow plain & simple instructions.

I'm done pointing my finger at, and dragging you to the water hole, but yet you refuse to drink.

Thanks for the invite--I'm outa here--"Check Please"
Wander aimlessly on your own--you've got all of the answer's plugged into your grey matter--and not getting anywhere quick.
That's called in this neck of the woods being stuck in the mud with a bald tires, aka; Spinning your Wheels.

On 8/5/14 you posted it was the TPS creating the problems, and from there you've moved everywhere but the front wheel bearings , and it still ain't right--Go Figure.

Adios,
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: The (smoked) gun... Reply with quote

This is what passed as the engine ground:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For whatever reason, this URL should sit in between a pair of IMG tags and produce an image. I get [img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab8eio1vxcfthbj/20140822161332.jpg?dl=0[/img] instead.

The left side is the engine side, the right side is the chassis sheet metal side. Note the corrosion and the burned insulation. And, of course, the wire's a little light for the job. The bolts and whatever those things are at the ends of the wire look cleaner than they are.

Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

I checked the resistance between the alternator case and the transaxle housing. The numbers are all over the map, meaning I can't tell what's resistance from surface crud and what's resistance due to gaskets, sealer, and so on between the transaxle and the engine. The ground strap for the transaxle probably isn't doing much for the charging system.

Both bolts will be replaced along with the wire (for now 4 AWG is all I can get my hands on in a hurry - I want something heavier). Everything will get a scrubbing, be bolted together, and then gets a coat of dialectric grease to seal things. The fun will be to see how the electrical system behaves after that.

BTW, one simple test that was missed: run a jumper cable from the alternator frame to the battery return. That rather steps around any ground faults. Rolling Eyes
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
The show continues...
Oh, and here's a really weird point: sitting at idle, the battery comes up to about 13.65. Rev the engine the least bit (or run at road speeds) and the voltage drops to 13.45-13.5. Get off the gas and it's back to 13.65. Say what???
I'm going to replace the ground braid, sand the grounding point a bit more, and re-check the wires on the starter. If that doesn't do it, all I can think of is the engine ground.
Has anyone added an engine ground on a WBX? How did you do it?
Beyond that, I'll see about replacing the alternator. it may just be DOA.

I wonder if the increased amp load to operate the ignition is contributing to voltage drop in your system, when you rev the engine up the amps draw goes up, maybe, so voltage sags? It sounds as if you just barely have enough connection * somewhere * in the power system to operate the van, add some extra amps and it doesn't make it any more.
Grounding jumpers for the engine: good idea. You can use "battery cables" with ring lugs at each end to go between your engine and/or transmission and the chassis. I had a scrap of large wire so made mine out of 2/0 boat wire; you could use a couple of #6 or #4 wires from your FLAPS just as well (I'm cranking a diesel so figured bigger is better). It isn't critical "where", you just want a solid bond between your engine/tranny assembly and the chassis, someplace where you can bolt it up tight with a star lockwasher to get good contacts at each end. I went from a threaded mounting hole in my block to a chassis bolt holding an engine support. Also add a #10 wire from the back of your alternator to the engine block nearby. If you do this and replace your battery cable, all of the charging circuit grounds have been replaced and upgraded, this should not be a problem anymore.
Remember that the aluminum in your block oxidizes to a very good insulating layer so brush/sand it clean*, immediately apply dielectric grease to exclude oxygen and use a (stainless steel recommended) star locking washer between the block and the lug. I know the washer raises the resistance a little but it gives 8 or 10 "dug in" connections so long-term is a more reliable connection.
*Edit: in electrical power installations it is specified to use a stainless steel wire brush to clean aluminum wire immediately before sealing; iron from plain steel wire brushes can cause long-term connection problems through surface contamination. Just to do the best we can, eh?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The (smoked) gun... Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
This is what passed as the engine ground:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab8eio1vxcfthbj/20140822161332.jpg?dl=0
[...]

And it was, along with the painted over battery ground lead, probably 99% responsible for the problems. "Probably" because I'm not 100% happy with the existing grounding nut near the ignition coil. At some point I'll take that apart, grind away some paint, and try again. The mounting point on the block, near #4 cylinder, is also not as clean as I want. Access is blocked by the A/C compressor. Removing it to improve access to the block end of the ground lead is Not Fun. I stopped before I cracked a pipe or crimped a hose. Starting the bolt was ...um... hateful. I declare it "not broke", so I guess I won't fix it.

A 10 mile test ride tonight showed voltage responding to varying loads (mainly the radio and HID's), although it seemed slower than I expected. NTL, even with the A/C running, there seemed to be some recovery, which is new. I'll know more tomorrow, when I can drive the van and, wisely, have my copilot to call out voltages. DIY voltage readings aren't much better than texting while driving. Bad me.

The voltage drop while running is still present, but at a low level. It's an odd thing.

Summing up: the alternator may or may not have had problems. See below re: PO. the wire from the alternator to the starter was marginally better than the wire in the photo. I wish I could say that was a joke. It's not. The starter to battery cable is, in fact, not defective; the ohmmeter is. The battery tested well and holds a charge as expected. The battery ground lead is still ugly but checks out with a (now calibrated) ohmmeter. When I can find a 4-6" braid strap, I'll replace the existing braid "just because." See below re: PO. Grounding through the engine block was essentially broken. Probably the transaxle ground strap helped to keep things going. Replacing the engine to chassis ground cable is the step that broke the (charging) log jam loose. I think. I'll know more tomorrow.

Two questions: 1) I still want to hear from anyone who added a second ground strap from the engine to the frame. 2) If anyone with a working charging system wants to drive with a DVM connected to their battery, I'd like to see if they encounter the "speed up, voltage down" syndrome.

_ _ _ _

The PO and electrical stuff... I used to think he was just bad at it. I've cleaned up countless bad connections, etc., etc. It drove my thinking that "if it's electrical and the PO touched it, it's suspect". Now I think a little differently. Looking at the charred end of the wire, I think he was almost criminally bad at handling wiring. At some point the wire heated up but, through divine intervention or luck, nothing started to burn. I'll thank divine intervention.

ADDED: I used a stainless brush on the grinding. The idea of having little ferrous hairs around, accumulating rust...? pass!

I replaced the alternator mount as part of adding the GW stiffen the alternator bracket mod. The PO had his hands on the alternator and mount at some point. See above re: it's electrical and the PO... yada yada yada. For now, at least that means a clean alternator frame sitting in a clean bracket held in place with clean bolts. No added ground needed at the moment. Smile
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the HID's as a possible problem, but figured you would get to them sooner or later since it was something you installed and would want to check out. When a ballast starts to go south, it can make for some interesting troubleshooting conditions to say the least.

The electronics inside the average set of $29.00 generic "slim ballasts" that come with most "plug and play" HID kits are converting 12VDC to 20,000+VAC as the igniter heats up the salts in the HID capsules, then they kick down to about 90VAC when running. The high voltage at startup is primarily what is responsible for the audible whine when the ballast starts up.

After a few months of use, it is not out of the ordinary for moisture to start getting into these ballasts and then things tend to get really interesting, really fast. A guy I work with had a ballast catch on fire in the engine compartment of his Acura a few weeks ago. He said he was having some problems with his battery going dead and had to have the car jumped to get to work the day before it happened.

Take a good look at your ballasts and look for any signs of excessive heat or moisture infiltration. If anything looks out of the ordinary, please proceed with extreme caution.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you did to the small ground strap on the left side of the engine bay made any noticeable difference then the much larger ground strap coming off the nose of the tranny must be bad. The smaller ground strap is just there to try and reduce transient voltages from messing up the various signals for the FI system. It isn't designed to handle the much larger starter load which will choose to go that way if the main ground strap on the tranny is bad.

I really don't understand why your engine is starting as your bad engine/tranny grounds would be expected to be preventing it from doing so.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the engine has been ...um... less than consistent about how it starts. That is, sometimes it spins quite briskly, sometimes it acts as if the battery is almost dead. If the return engine ground is mainly to ground the EFI and sensors, that explains why the ground point seems rather inadequate for charging and running the starter.

I am still puzzled by what seems to be significant resistance between the engine and transaxle. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not confident about those readings. I may have not really gotten past the dirt and corrosion on the cases. At any rate I'll replace the ground strap on the transaxle.

Is there anything I should watch out for when I change the strap?

Given that charging last night was vastly improved, but still a little ...what?... sluggish, the strap may well be the last piece in the puzzle.

Without trying to sound obsessively paranoid about the PO and his electrical work, if the PO wired it, I am have my doubts about the work done. I know the transaxle was replaced, so it seems reasonable that the wiring is suspect. Aside from the ground strap and reverse light switch, is there any other wiring I need to check?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Is there anything I should watch out for when I change the strap?

If yours is anything like mine was: Falling debris... wear safety goggles. While my ground straps weren't causing noticeable issues, they were disgustingly gross... coated with grime. Sick

Be sure to clean the mounting points, including the bolts.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should have worn goggles when messing with the battery cable. My glasses didn't do a good job with falling crud. At least with the transaxle braid, I could stay out of the way. [/grin]

Things are getting better but still not 100%. I can hit voltages in excess of 14 VDC but too often it's hovering between 13.5 and 13.7. Suddenly imposed loads (e.g., radiator fan) drop the voltage; it recovers but far too slowly.

On the good side, the starter spins like a top instead of grinding, and the engine catches fast enough that I have to get off the key in a hurry. [/two thumbs up]

Since the battery tests out as healthy (again, the CCA number seems too high for a 650 CCA battery - at least it's not so low as to condemn the battery), I'm going to replace the alternator under warranty. I'll also find a grounding strap for it, tying to the reinforcing brace between the power steering pump and the alternator bracket. There are a couple of bolts I can get to easily.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still broke, it ain't fixed. Charging is better than before. I saw 18A at one point, instead of 5-6A. OTOH, depending in which A/C fan speed I pick, the draw varies from about 5A to about 10A (speed 3 IIRC), and then drops back to 5A for speed 4. The fastest fan speed needs less current than a slower speed??? Speeding up the engine shows the now-typical 0.1A drop. The main battery never comes up to 14VDC for any real length. In short, as far as I can tell, there's still more work to be done.

And the (now replaced) house battery? Sigh... Time permitting, I'll put in an echo charger. The stock (and now the GW) relay setup sucks.

Fix the charging issues? I ain't doin' it. I have a boat to prep for ocean cruising. Time and tide willing, I'll let a friend's shop have the electrical job, or it'll wait until we're back.

Meanwhile we'll use the Westy to camp out while we work on the boat. At 165 miles each way, it'll be interesting to see how the batteries' voltages fare.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/C system electrical setup has some nuance to it. Fan speeds 1 and 2 use power from the starter battery feed to the dash fuse/relay panel. Fan speeds 3 and 4 use an entirely different power feed path that is in the engine compartment area only. So OF COURSE the power draw can seem to be less on high fan speeds than low fans speeds depending on where you are measuring the power draw.

Mark
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but confusing. When I looked at the diagram for the fans, it seemed as though 1-3 went through the power resistors, and 4 came, as you say, via different path that bypasses the resistors altogether. So maybe that has some influence on the draw. In general, though, I expect draw to be proportional to fan speed. [/head scratch] Anyway, I'll reread the diagram in hopes of understanding why the draw isn't consistently proportional to fan speed.

All of that said (and thank you for pointing out how the A/C fans work), the fact remains that a draw of only a few amps can seemingly drop the battery voltage, with, most importantly, no sign that the alternator is supplying power for the load. Simply put, the battery is carrying the loads and the alternator seems to be partially recharging it when it can get around to it. That's not how I understand automotive charging systems to work.

My expectation is the battery comes up to full charge or very close to it after spinning the starter, drops again as loads come on, but recovers as the alternator supplies the power consumed by the loads, and recharging the now slightly discharged battery. I've always thought that a battery was in the car only long enough to spin the starter, and fill in the odd drops when the alternator doesn't catch up to the loads fast enough. I am not seeing this happen in our Westy.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Interesting but confusing. When I looked at the diagram for the fans, it seemed as though 1-3 went through the power resistors, and 4 came, as you say, via different path that bypasses the resistors altogether.

Take a look at the diagram again: Starting at the switch, 1 and 2 go down through the resistors; 3 goes off to the right onto the following page to the A/C relay (stamped 13 in my van); 4 goes down to the blower relay (center relay of the three in the cabinet).

Haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if possibly repeating: The A/C blower fan only operates when the A/C is switched on (at least, that's how my '90 Westy works). When you turn the A/C on, the compressor engages and it triggers the radiator cooling fan to run; separately, you switch the blower fan on. So, when you're measuring power draw, you're measuring 1) the blower fan, 2) the A/C compressor, and 3) the radiator cooling fan (in 2nd stage mode). At any given time, it will be just the blower fan, or all three running.

RBEmerson wrote:
...with, most importantly, no sign that the alternator is supplying power for the load. Simply put, the battery is carrying the loads and the alternator seems to be partially recharging it when it can get around to it.

The alternator should be carrying the load, not the battery, while the A/C and engine are running. Again, might be repeating:
1) Start the engine with all accessories off.
2) Connect your volt meter to the battery, run the engine up to 3000 rpm.
3) Measure the DC voltage. If between 13.5 and 14.5, operating normally. Below 13.5, keep reading.
4) Turn on all accessories (A/C, lights, radio, etc.), keeping the rpm at 3000, and measure the voltage. If the reading is the same as in #3, possible faulty regulator; if the reading is lower than in #3, possible faulty alternator (or something else funky going on; also, be certain it's a 90amp alternator, rather than a 65).

FWIW, I just returned from a 1500-mile trip, during which I ran the A/C (for the first time on a road trip; always ran it only in town). Other than feeling the slight "kick" when the A/C was initially cranked on, there was no discernible power loss; even had the van up to 70-75mph at brief times, even went up inclines (A/C was turned off for hill climbs) without slowing down Shocked (thankfully, no winds that day).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: