Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help a VW Bus Guy Please
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwitiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Help a VW Bus Guy Please Reply with quote

folks. I appreciate your time reading my post. In a deal for a 78 Baywindow, this motor was thrown in. I was curious if the experts here in the Porsche forum could help me figure out what I have and it's approximate value.

I've heard you can run these in a bus but I'm not sure it's a good idea, maybe you folks know. I'm more inclined to sell it but open to any ideas.

Please keep in mind that since I've come into possession of the 78 bus and this motor, I've had a back injury and spinal surgery so this limits my options pretty severely. I'll most likely sell all or most of my VW's as I'm only able to drive a bus short distances and unable to maintain them any longer.

Thanks again for your help-its very much needed and appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this looks like a 1,7L D-jet Engine (normally 80HP in some cases only 72).
To be fully sure, check the engine no on top of the block at the base of no 3 cyl or on top of the block between the oil filler and the fan housing.

This page will tell you what engine it is (or WAS since it is quite easy to modify these little engines both in volume and other things).
http://www.p914.com/p914_vin.htm

914 Engines has been put in buses before, need to move over the sheet metal, flywheel, heater boxes and some more things...if you search in the Bay Window section ou will find lots of post like theese:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430013&highlight=914
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375246&highlight=914+flywheel

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....a 1.7. same as the 411/412 1.7.

Nice engines actually when well tuned. Probably the toughest of the lot.

Does it run or turn over? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: