Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing brake adjuster tabs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLCAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Missing brake adjuster tabs Reply with quote

I am redoing the brakes on my Thing and noticed the front brake adjuster tabs are missing. I ordered new ones from Wolfsburg and wanted to see how other have put them back in place. I have read anything from drilling/tap a hole in the block and screw new ones in or having someone weld them back in place. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also do beetle backing plates fit the Thing. I read the sticky and it say no but other people tend to say they will fit. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions and pic!

Something I'd love to know. The originals were peened in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing brake adjuster tabs Reply with quote

STLCAR wrote:
I am redoing the brakes on my Thing and noticed the front brake adjuster tabs are missing. I ordered new ones from Wolfsburg and wanted to see how other have put them back in place. I have read anything from drilling/tap a hole in the block and screw new ones in or having someone weld them back in place. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also do beetle backing plates fit the Thing. I read the sticky and it say no but other people tend to say they will fit. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the rivet idea...but without looking at a backing I'm not sure how this would work. Will it interfere with the adjusting stars themselves?

I would say weld them on or brazing them on would be your best bet. I like the rivet idea just because if they break it's an easy fix for the next time lol

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought on these is to use rivets because heat from a welder would take the spring out of the metal and be on no use. I think these are called hammer rivets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMaster- Carr calls them solid rivets.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered about making up a little cover plate that one could weld on to hold the spring in place. Have no idea how well the metal of the adjuster base can be welded though.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think drilling a hole in the new and old springs, drill out the old springs in their centers and spot weld the new spring to the old spring right in the middle.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that these are spring steel and welding takes the spring away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: