Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 59
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spidershackov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car. Hard decision to make. I agree that once modified it never goes back.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some idle problems last weekend when I pulled the car out to get to my mower. Would not idle. I found the issue and fixed it today. It was a plugged idle jet. On a side note the car is listed for sale. Not set on selling. Just seeing if there is any intrest in it. So far none.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I will be keeping the beetle. Got a very old carb kit from local vw shop and the carb top gasket felt nice and flexible still. Removed carbs top and replaced leaking broken gasket with new one. The car has a very harsh shake when you let clutch out in first or reverse. Checked front motor mount and it is ok. The rear mounts look kinda scarry so I will change them. Didn't look at clutch cable tube sag but I bet the clutch it self is junk. Just a side note the motor has shaken when starting in first and reverse before the carb issue ever came along.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a update. Car is for sale and has been for a while. Have had lots of interest in it. I also put a new set of tires on it. I figured I should take it out and drive it to make sure everything works as it should. I really wish I didn't. It drove as good as a new car. Good heat. Drives strait. Stops great. Does everything it should. Even went 60 mph with no issues at all. Only issue was the window was so dirty it was hard to see when a car was coming at me with there lights on. It ran so well I am thinking about keeping it. It drives way better then my 70 does. The power it has is pretty good too. It does not feel a whole lot slower then my 70. Other then a bit of clutch chatter it was perfict.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm playing devils advocate here, but, you know if you sell it you'll regret it. Laughing

you know how nice it is to drive... just register it and drive it as is... you won't regret it. (unless you do something stupid and crash it... so don't crash it) if you get bored, strip off the respray and detail it within an inch of it's life. it will feel like a new car.

i'm driving my stock 58 daily. i've got stuff sitting here to tweek it a little, but haven't bothered yet, cause i'm having so much fun with it as it is. every time i drive it i find another reason to love it more.

Last edited by henry roberts on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh now you know what a well and truly tuned / maintained older beetle feels like. Unlike a lot of newer beetles who are de-truned and not kept up properly. A good 36/40 HP engine properly tuned with the proper distributor and carb is great for around town. A mismanaged 1600 SP / DP is not much more powerful with a 009 and odd carb combo.

Keep it - you'll enjoy it a lot more in the end!

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. Keep it. Keep it

Laughing Laughing Laughing
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to keep it. I can't get what I have in it out of it so I will keep it. I hope to get it registered in a few weeks. It needs window seals all the way around. And I have to figure out how to put seat belts in it some how. Are there holes in the car for them already? I have not looked. Thanks for the help deciding.
payin_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No holes on a 59, I believe they started on 62, plenty info here if interested in adding belts just do a search.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I seen is most have welded the belt mounts in. I don't have a welder. Some also used large fender washers and a bolt threw the floor. I may do that. My brother has a welder but he just moved away.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/seat_belt.cfm

They come with the mounting hardware. Requires drilling holes in the pan, but it's a simple, quick install.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your car on craigslist every time i go looking for spare parts or a good deal hiding around. I'm like an hour away, so if you need help sometime, or want to borrow a welder, just hit me up. Gas is cheap right now, so i wont mind the drive, plus I would like to see an original 59. Been building mine from scratch

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old mantra from my HCCA days "They're only original once."

I'm in the same boat as you. My 63 is bone stock. Sat since the late 70's early 80's. Did a brake job on it, and drove it 90 miles to put it in a nice dry garage in Tucson. I WAS going to restore it. Now?

Replace upholstery, window seals, decklid seal, hood seal, and leave it alone to drive once in a while. Maybe send the old motorola radio out to see if it can be fixed and replace the speaker. Other than that, I'm keeping mine bone stock. Even the beat up old hubcaps!

If you want something that will go fast / etc why not focus on the 70?

1963 Beetle
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85burb wrote:
From what I seen is most have welded the belt mounts in. I don't have a welder. Some also used large fender washers and a bolt threw the floor. I may do that. My brother has a welder but he just moved away.

Places like a muffler shop would probably weld in the mounts for not much.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
An old mantra from my HCCA days "They're only original once."

I'm in the same boat as you. My 63 is bone stock. Sat since the late 70's early 80's. Did a brake job on it, and drove it 90 miles to put it in a nice dry garage in Tucson. I WAS going to restore it. Now?

Replace upholstery, window seals, decklid seal, hood seal, and leave it alone to drive once in a while. Maybe send the old motorola radio out to see if it can be fixed and replace the speaker. Other than that, I'm keeping mine bone stock. Even the beat up old hubcaps!

If you want something that will go fast / etc why not focus on the 70?

I will be keeping this one stock. Needs pan 1/4 that the battery sits on and upholstery and window seals and King pins have some play. Other then that some rust repair in the future. I will be doing all go fast stuff to the 70 only.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the car today. Sold it to a collector that will restore it properly. Sad to let it go but it will get done correctly now.
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you, thanks for saving another one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: