Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where can I buy an IMDU?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: where can I buy an IMDU? Reply with quote

can someone please point me towards where I can pick up an IMDU or something that is equalivent? (intake manifold de-icing unit) They seem a little hard to find. Crying or Very sad

thanks!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the stock intake manifold with the correct muffler that lets exhaust gases FLOW and heat the intake manifold? Confused

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear out heat riser tube?
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I should have mentioned UK is the only place you will find them

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Featured_Products/IMDU/Manifold_IMDU_Heater_12_Volt.html
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, the Baja folks used to wrap copper wire around the exhaust, and then extend that wire up and wrap it around the intake manifold. Copper is excellent for heat transfer.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a nitrous bottle heater blanket?

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=285

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Back in the day, the Baja folks used to wrap copper wire around the exhaust, and then extend that wire up and wrap it around the intake manifold. Copper is excellent for heat transfer.

Love it, simple, cheap, and effective. I assume they just used house wiring?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, thanks! just ordered it a few minutes ago! getting excited now. will have preheat to carb from my stove pipe and now this IMDU will really help me out this coming winter. thanks to you other guys, too. always so many good ideas floating out there with you VW folk.

wanted to go the IMDU route since I heard nothing but good things about it and that it actually works. would get a stock muffler and heat risers but my oil filter won't clear the stock exhaust. trust me, I wish. maybe one day when I get more money I can somehow figure something else out. but you know, I truly believe this IMDU thing will work wonders.

so, I was literally up all freakin night until 6:30 am here last night taking that damn mess off the top of my intake manifold. see, having a baby means you ofen find yourself doing things at odd times of the day. not much me time during the day, lol.

the damn PO had thermal tape wrapped and all gobbed around it at an attempt to stop icing. I can confirm that wrapping your intake to stop icing doesn't help at all. Engine would still stall after off the choke.

took forever to get that melted rubber crap off. had to smash my hands and was mess by the time all was said and done. but hey, got most of it off. sure there are still rememnats of it here and there, but cleaned it up mostly. a lot of WD40 rags, chopsticks, and razor blades. chopsticks worked the best. was great at helping me clear that damn AC bracket and pushed and scraped all that gunk off. so glad that tape is all of there now.

at least I didn't find any cracks or irregularities with my intake. I had qualms about taking it off, but I'm a real rebel this week so decided to tear into it.

questions, yes. sorry.

1. what is that vaccuum/inlet for on the left side of the intake? mine doesn't have anything connected to it. should it be blocked off? I drove my car and it did just fine. not sure. Confused

2. concerning my IMDU. installation seems straightforward. hook the positive fused wire to the 15 /ignition side of the coil and the ground wire on a good ground like the coil earth screw in the engine bay. that means this unit will only be on when I start the car, right? not with just the key on. the ignition side if the coil is the side where the ignition wire is hooked I presume. i believe my 15 side has several terminals, even think one is unused. has the ig wire, and choke for the carb i think. I'll get a pic of my coil so I can confirm I co next it correctly.

3. the IMDU will be fine to use in the summer, too, right?

thanks in advance.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:

wanted to go the IMDU route since I heard nothing but good things about it and that it actually works. would get a stock muffler and heat risers but my oil filter won't clear the stock exhaust. trust me, I wish. maybe one day when I get more money I can somehow figure something else out. but you know, I truly believe this IMDU thing will work wonders.

Yes it will. I took a look at your gallery and what you need is a slightly shorter filter and a muffler with the heat riser on the right side instead of the left. I just did a muffler swap last week to make room for my new spin on filter, fits nicely.

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Jordan! I often read your threads and saw that. how are the short filters and right side heat riser mufflers? do they work well? heard the short filters area that great as well as the right side heat riser mufflers. but hey, thanks again. I'll keep that in mind! sure it works fine. has to beat my current setup. Laughing
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
thanks Jordan! I often read your threads and saw that. how are the short filters and right side heat riser mufflers? do they work well? heard the short filters area that great as well as the right side heat riser mufflers. but hey, thanks again. I'll keep that in mind! sure it works fine. has to beat my current setup. Laughing

Here is what mine looks like, I haven't had a chance to run it properly since I need to mod my pulley tin to clear my new pump, but when I started her up to test, the oil light turned off immediately at idle. There is still a bit more room there, you may even be able to get away with your current filter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what it used to look like

As for "better" or "worse" I doubt it makes a difference, VW used both themselves depending on the year, plus the engine is virtually left-right symmetrical so I cant imagine it making any difference.

My only problem was I bought the ceramic coated dansk brand and it didn't fit easily, total bitch to get on and had to use a jack and a lot of force to coax it into place. It may have been my J pipes, or it may have been the muffler, I don't know.

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here is than inlet/vacuum I was talking about.

I honestly can't tell if it's plugged or closed off. it looks like it. and this is the best angle camera shot I could get of it. as I said that damn AC is always in my freakin way. is this inlet an area of concern since I don't have a later air cleaner with the vacuum hose that goes to it?

and here is a pic of my coil. hope it helps!

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here is than inlet/vacuum I was talking about.

I honestly can't tell if it's plugged or closed off. it looks like it. and this is the best angle camera shot I could get of it. as I said that damn AC is always in my freakin way. is this inlet an area of concern since I don't have a later air cleaner with the vacuum hose that goes to it?

and here is a pic of my coil. hope it helps!

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, not sure why it posted twice.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be blocked off, mine is. I think it was used for california emissions.

It looks like yours is blocked off with a brass threaded plug, if it wasn't you would run like shit. The easiest way to tell if it is sealed is to idle your car and put your finger on it. If you feel a bit of suction, or the idle speed changes it is not a proper seal.

EDIT: As for 2. If you have the key turned you have power to the coil, which is why you should never leave your key turned without the motor spinning as it can burn out your points.

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car runs perfectly fine. took it out for a spin this morning after everything to make sure I didn't F something to hell and back by removing that tape. still cleaning up that tar. made sure not to get WD40 on everything by sparking onto a rag and then applying it to the manifold.

thanks! good eyes, Jordan! I put my finger back there and it seemed to be blocked off, just wasn't sure. l'llmake sure there's no suction.

and just had a chance to check my wiring some more. everything seems as usual. wow, rare for my car. I'll just hook it to the right side (15) that the ignition, and carb. is connected to. I have an available terminal so I'll just hook it up there, simple. the other side (negative) has just the dizzy wire attached.

by the way, Jordan, did you ever get your tranny fixed and straightened out? too bad some kid decided to try and ram it into gear like that, instead of just asking you how to put it into reverse. they always ask me to move my car in Japan when I take it to any place but my local air cooled VW tech, which is what I prefer.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More important than suction is that the engine operation (speed, etc) doesn't change when you put your finger there. I'd be surprised if you messed anything up, the manifold is solid metal...

Do NOT run that heater off the right side of the coil, that thing is going to pull a lot of amperage and if it travels through your coil you will ruin it. You want it hooked to the side receiving power from the battery. Keep in mind this extra amperage may be too much for your old wires, check how much the heater draws, it may melt your wiring or cause a fire. I still thing the stock preheat pipes are the best option.

As for the trans, they paid my mechanic to realign the selectors THEN changed their minds about paying 100% and said 50-50. Im out of pocket $220CAD and the tranny feels a lot worse than it did before. I would have rathered they pay me the 220 and I replace the trans myself...

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which side gets the power from the battery? the left side where the dizzy is?
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually yes but not always, easiest way to test is to unplug everything from the coil (make sure you mark what goes where), turn the key, and use a testlight or voltmeter to find which lead has voltage.

type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, but the website I bought it off of says connect it to the 15 live side. here is the link to the website.

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Featured_Products/IMDU/Manifold_IMDU_Heater_12_Volt.html

and if you look at this typical coil wiring diagram you can see the 15 side has the ignition wire coming from the harness and carb. wire.

the other terminal (1) only has the dizzy connected.

guess the important thing is to find the lead that has power when the key is turned on?

whats the amperage rating of these wires on the coil?

this IMDU has an inline fuse. should not start a fire ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: