Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st gear synchromesh (changed to AAP VS DK in an AAZ)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrydog411 wrote:
sorry Gizmo ... that is not the running circumference ... that is what your calculation may be; does not relate to the real world of the tire specs ...
from Tirerack.com: diameter 27.8" 750 revs/mile

I really do appreciate your efforts but don't know how more real I can get than a tape measure from the ground to the center of the wheel. Tire pressure checked at 45 psi cold. The "running" radius of the tire that is on the vehicle is 13-3/8 inches. Doesn't matter what size/brand it is after taking that measurement. It's simple math from there.

The manufacturer's spec is something you got of the internet - again, much appreciated. My spec I got with a a real tape measure in my hand.

From a google circumference calculator:
Answer:

r = 13.38 in
C = 84.069 in

From a google inch to mile calculator:
(1 mile) / (84.06900 inches) =

What am I missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
jerrydog411 wrote:
sorry Gizmo ... that is not the running circumference ... that is what your calculation may be; does not relate to the real world of the tire specs ...
from Tirerack.com: diameter 27.8" 750 revs/mile

I really do appreciate your efforts but don't know how more real I can get than a tape measure from the ground to the center of the wheel. Tire pressure checked at 45 psi cold. The "running" radius of the tire that is on the vehicle is 13-3/8 inches. Doesn't matter what size/brand it is after taking that measurement. It's simple math from there.

The manufacturer's spec is something you got off the internet - again, much appreciated. My spec I got with a a real tape measure in my hand.

From a google circumference calculator:
Answer:

r = 13.38 in
C = 84.069 in

From a google inch to mile calculator:
(1 mile) / (84.06900 inches) =

What am I missing?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:
a jump from 43 MPH to 70

48 to 72 actually, but whos counting?Smile

since 1st is too tall you could go to a 4.86 Ring and Pinion, but

the better move would be to go to a smaller tire, and go 65 instead of 70.

In my opinion, Big tires put bigger loads on the tranny, and reduce tranny life. I would say the same about going 70mph.

I agree with all of the above. I try to get into"chill-out" mode when I can and have been keeping to the right lane when possible. It's much happier at 65. Here in Southern Cal, even that lane can be doing 70 (semi-trucks included) Shocked . Wife and I will be taking a slow three week jaunt North from San Diego to Wishon and I have mapped a route that uses backroads as much as possible.

The AAP just looks like the best use of this engine's power band. However, apparently it also has some weaknesses as well.
Put a turboed suby in a 72 weekender (before it became the rage) and the power band was much wider. Crusing at 4200 all day long.

Everyone's input is much appreciated.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Ideally, 70 MPH at 3K would be the goal, but it does't seem likely with any transmission choice. I can live with that. What I want though is dependability, no transmission noise, synchromesh in all gears and smooth shifting. I have looked into the Subarugears mod but it seems like a ton of work and/or money.
An AAP appears to meet my needs well:
    4th gear would put me a bit over 55 mph at 3K which would be great for those long 6% grades
    1st is low enough to easily start the brick up a hill from a stop, at least much better than the DK.
Too bad they are nearly unobtainium.

Just thought others my find this data interesting. All advice welcome.

Below is the Jetta Cluster in my '84 Vanagon with the DK 4-speed running .77 4th gear and 215/75/15 tires. The RPM is verified by OBD port ScanGuage and the speed is verified with GPS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you consult a Bentley Manual, you will notice that the AAP 5-speed is no different than the DK 4-speed with respect to 2-3-4-5 gears. The end result for top gear in either tranny can be the same.

Below is a graph of my tranny. It represents the real world application very close. Of course, I am pushing the "load" with an ALH TDI engine which makes a big difference. When I shift from 3rd to 4th at 3200 RPM, the RPM drops to roughly 2000 which is in the sweet spot of top torque for the engine...... absolutely works great. As I stated in an earlier post in this Thread, we just finished a 33 day road trip pulling a pop-up camper with no issues related to the ability to do so. Cruising 70 MPH pulling the camper was never an issue. After the 10,881 mile road trip, there was 17.2 miles difference in the odometer and GPS miles. I averaged 26.544 MPG....(409.948 gallons of fuel).

The 2840 RPMs at 65 MPH in the graph is spot-on in the real world... due to rounding the RPM can go up or down slightly and the MPH will stay the same (speedometer or GPS).

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley doesn't have the gearing for the AAP 5 speed. In any case the 2,3,4,5 gear ratios of the AAP don't match the 1,2,3,4 of the DK at all. The only one even close is top gear in AAP of .82 vs .85 top gear in DK. Look at the earlier post of Gizmoman where he lists all of the gear ratios in both and road speeds in both.

Naturally one can replace the top two gears in either tranny with various ratios that are available.

EDIT: perhaps you are confusing the AAP 5 speed with the very different Syncro trannys with 4+G gearing. US spec Syncro trannys are AAK and AAN codes, listed in the Bentley. Not even close to the same gearing as the 2wd AAP true 5 speed.

Mark

AndyBees wrote:
If you consult a Bentley Manual, you will notice that the AAP 5-speed is no different than the DK 4-speed with respect to 2-3-4-5 gears. The end result for top gear in either tranny can be the same............
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[u]
crazyvwvanman wrote:
The Bentley doesn't have the gearing for the AAP 5 speed. In any case the 2,3,4,5 gear ratios of the AAP don't match the 1,2,3,4 of the DK at all. The only one even close is top gear in AAP of .82 vs .85 top gear in DK. Look at the earlier post of Gizmoman where he lists all of the gear ratios in both and road speeds in both.

Naturally one can replace the top two gears in either tranny with various ratios that are available.

EDIT: perhaps you are confusing the AAP 5 speed with the very different Syncro trannys with 4+G gearing. US spec Syncro trannys are AAK and AAN codes, listed in the Bentley. Not even close to the same gearing as the 2wd AAP true 5 speed.

Mark

AndyBees wrote:
If you consult a Bentley Manual, you will notice that the AAP 5-speed is no different than the DK 4-speed with respect to 2-3-4-5 gears. The end result for top gear in either tranny can be the same............

My Bentley shows the DK DP era 4-speed (091), the post 83.5 year 4-speed (091/1), the 5-speed (094) and the syncro tranny (094-AWD). Each is laid out separately in it's on section. The gear ratios for the syncro are not shown. In my previous post, I shouldn't have referred to the 5-speed in the Bentley as an AAP.... I should have just said 5-speed because my Bentley only shows the 5-speed "in general" without stating transmission codes or gear ratios.

The AAP tranny has a 4.57 R&P same as the DK. 5th gear is 0.82 being almost the same as the DK tranny at .85. The AAP 4th & 5th gears are the same as the 3rd and 4th in the 091/1 tranny as far as interchangeability, only the OE top gear has a near same ratio (0.82 vs 0.85). And, yes, I do realize the lower gear ratios are not the same.

I have a spreadsheet (functional for different tire sizes, RPMs, etc., to plug and play and see results) that reflects 99% of all Vanagon manual transmissions by code, year and engine, including both 4 and 5 speed for diesel and some South African. However, it does not show the Syncro tranny ratios.

My point is two fold: First, you can gear and change tire size to achieve roughly 70 mph at 3000 rpms as I showed above. I've driven mine over 30k miles and it works just fine. Second, you cannot gear the 5-speed AAP tranny to be anymore taller in top gear than any of the 4-speeds. The results will always be the same for both trannys assuming the ratios of the gears and R&P are the same.

The advantage I see with the AAP tranny is that 1st gear is a 4.11 ratio vs the 3.78 ratios of the other trannys, excluding the Syncro. The shorter 1st gear is helpful with taller tires and low torque engines.

It is my understanding that Weddle now has more variety in 3rd and 4th gear ratios than when I did my tranny. I suspect the same is true for the 4th and 5th gears of the AAP 5-speed.

Andy
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley lists the 5 speed tranny code in a few places. First place is on page 2 and DX is that code. It also lists all the gearing ratios inside that DX code tranny on page 34.1b of later versions. Versions vary.

The AAP has the tallest stock R&P and the tallest stock overall top gear VW offered in T3. Some people consider those to be advantages as well as the first gear.

Yes, you can make various other code trannys the equivalent of an AAP by changing out enough parts. You can also make just about any 4 speed into a gearing equivalent of any other 4 speed or customize either a 5 or 4 speed to a limited extent. Most people would have to buy those parts and pay a tranny guy to put them in.

Gearing success depends on matching up with the engine. I don't know why it seems that so many TDI guys can't seem to understand that other VW diesel engines may have different gearing needs.

Mark
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

Below is the Jetta Cluster in my '84 Vanagon with the DK 4-speed running .77 4th gear and 215/75/15 tires. The RPM is verified by OBD port ScanGuage and the speed is verified with GPS. . .

I plugged a .77 4th into my spreadsheet and I believe the jump from 3rd to 4th is taller than my engine could handle (27 .2 MPH).

Here's a shot of a .77 in a DK (with my tires at 70 MPH)

As it is now, I can climb a 3% hill in fourth if there's no serious headwind. A .77 4th would make that nearly impossible.
Notice the very gradual increase in speed changes with the AAP. My engine would like that very much. Very Happy
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I don't know why it seems that so many TDI guys can't seem to understand that other VW diesel engines may have different gearing needs.

maybe if people mentioned how much horsepower theyre Not working with, it would help Smile

Gizmoman wrote:
Ideally, 70 MPH at 3K would be the goal

If theres a headwind or a hill, you might need more horsepower for that

AndyBees wrote:
The advantage I see with the AAP tranny is that 1st gear is a 4.11 ratio vs the 3.78 ratios of the other trannys

the op does say his current 1st is too tall… maybe its not more horsepower he needs, just more gears?Smile

I look forward to the results of putting an AAP in GizmoVan
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew Excel and fluid dynamics better, I'd add a line going in the opposite direction indicating wind resistance increasing with speed Very Happy
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your engine cannot handle the jump from Stock 3rd to .77 4th gear, there's something bad wrong with the 'estimated' 150 hp. I'm running a 1.14 3rd and the .77 4th. It handles the 1250 pound camper and 400 pound of stuff just fine, head wind or not... even 3% grades. The ALH engine is 90 HP stock. Mine has a Stage 1 Malone tune (110 hp). The exhaust, IP, Turbo, etc., are all stock and I am running the OE CAT.

I believe you could get a better understanding of the gearing if you looked at how different ratios affect engine RPM rather than miles per hour changes.

My Excel worksheet is already set-up. You just plug in different gear ratios, RPMs, tire size, etc., then look at the results. And, as I stated previously, the real world results in my case are almost spot-on.

One last piece of advice, I'd get rid of the water to air Intercooler and replace it with an air-to-air. If you are not running some sort of gauge, you have no clue how big of a heat sink it is. Once it is loaded with heat, the intended positive affects are diminished in short order.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, your traveling achievements speak volumes for sure. And my "150 HP" is only a reflection of time and dollars spent Very Happy A more believable number may be 110-120

The WAIC does have a quick acting probe in the intake manifold to a digital gauge. The heat exchanger is 2 X 7 X 26 with a 3.5 gallon res.

Charge air temps are generally 20-30 degrees over ambient after 50 miles depending on load.

The turbo is a Holset HE 200, boost is set to 21 psi but I rarely go over 14. Boost starts around 2-2.5K. Head has a mild port job. Giles IP.

Without dynoing both engines it's hard to say, but I believe you have a much broader torque curve and one that starts a bit earlier.

As an AAP tranny is not readily available, your suggestion is worth consideration.
Sadly after my arrival from work last night, I noticed several (more) oil drops in the driveway Sad I may have other issues to deal with before a three week trip through the mountains.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peak HP numbers are not the issue as far as gearing goes. The HP curve is the issue. The 1.9TDI has a very different curve than the 1.9TD does. They benefit from different gearing as a result.

Mark
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
If I knew Excel and fluid dynamics better, I'd add a line going in the opposite direction indicating wind resistance increasing with speed Very Happy

There you have a exel with all needed parameters wind, mass, 1Z (which can be changed)
http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_j.html#getriebeausl

With google translater it should be no problem.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The peak HP numbers are not the issue as far as gearing goes. The HP curve is the issue. The 1.9TDI has a very different curve than the 1.9TD does. They benefit from different gearing as a result.

Mark

Yeah, but using this TDI curve is not benefiting the life of the gearbox.
It is very possible to use a DK with 0.78 4th with both engines.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark on that. The IDIs do not build torque as quickly and are happier revving higher and so it is desirable to have gearing 10-15% shorter than gearing for a TDI engine with similar peak horsepower output.

I constantly see people posting on this forum that there is no advantage to a 5-speed over a 4-speed which is nonsense. Yes, you can certainly achieve the same top gear ratios with either one, but doing so on the 4-speed is extremely difficult without creating an overly large gap somewhere. Doing so with the 5-speed is fairly easy with comfortable gaps on each of the shifts and even some room to finagle within those comfortable gaps for driving style and personal preference.

3,000 rpms @ 70 MPH is what close to what I would shoot for with a TDI but taller than what I would choose for an AAZ. On the AAZ I would aim more for 3400 rpms @ 70 and 3800@75. IMO, the AAP looks decent on paper for the AAZ but IMO a shorter R+P with taller 5th(DX with 4.86 or 4.83) would be better and help with starting in first with a similar top gear ratio.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between stock AAZ or pimped AAZ, also there is a difference between stock TDIs between 1Z and AFN or chiped TDIs.
If we speak about a stock AAZ with 75hp and 150 torque, ok this is a lame duck. But its more than easy to get same hp and torque like the stock 1Z.
My AAZ has now full turbo pressure (fixed at 1bar) at 2k.
A friend is programing the chip for AFN to remind the torque under 2k in favor of the gearboxes. Chiptuning in other direction.

I was driving with my syncro with JX (intercooler,1,2bar) a 4,85x0,78 with 205/80-16 and it was perfekt. Now im driving same gearbox with the pimped AAZ and its still perfekt. Pulling a trailer i change to smaller tires.

But i know the gearbox ratios depends alot of how and where you drive. From the taste of the driver. So i would never say, hey this is the only gearratio u can drive. I just can say, yes i have tried it and it works. Or not.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:

There you have a exel with all needed parameters wind, mass, 1Z (which can be changed)
http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_j.html#getriebeausl

With google translator it should be no problem.

Thanks! Google translator handles the site well.
I't doesn't translate the excel file though, unless I were to enter every word and edit the file.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Agreed Mark. I was posting my assumed HP as a reply to the "150" I had posted originally - the number appeared to be in question. It is not really part of my equation other than it's more HP than stock.

I went searching for graphs showing TDI and AAZ curves but never found anything clear. Also, as my engine is not stock I really have no idea anyhoo.

What is apparent after reading several topics on TDI VS IDI, the HP/Torque curves are very different, and also take place at different RPMs as libby pointed out.
As it stands right now, with my tires, the AAP would be perfect without changing anything.
1st is lower and the jumps between gears are closer. 4th gear is perfect for climbing long 6% grades at 55 and 5th will still work for the 3% grades at 65.
The AAP will also put me at 3300 at 70 for those times I feel the need to do 70. I just have to remember, this is for recreation, not SoCAL freeway madness.

This is a great discussion and I really appreciate all the input. Now if someone wants to part with that spare AAP, shoot me a PM Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Measuring the back tire on level ground, radius from ground to center of wheel is 13.375". The rim has an emblem which makes it very easy to locate center.

The height of the center of the tire is meaningless. It is the unloaded diameter which counts, or unloaded circumference. As others posted the diameter of a 215/70r16 is around 28".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: