Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1981 VW Pickup Dash Repair
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecopreneur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: 1981 VW Pickup Dash Repair Reply with quote

My dash has numerous tears/etc like many others at this age. I would prefer to not use a carpet cover but instead use a molded version you can purchase online. I found a company that makes one for up to 1980. I know the speaker areas are different. I also know the instrument area has a different look (round speedometer on 1980 and square on 1981- newer. Also the 1980 has little round vents.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I could buy the 1980 version and trim it with an exacto knife on the other areas. If the square instrument area fits I think the rest will cover my dash issues.

Anyone now if the dimensions of the instrument area (square portion of dash) are the same on the 1980 and 1981?

Here is a link to the product with a picture.
http://www.dashtop.com/categories/rabbit-pickup

Thanks

1981 Vw turbo diesel pickup
1984 VW Westy
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question but that link is a great resource.

While waiting to see if someone has a definitive answer for you, have you considered:
(1) asking this company about it, and
(2) checking local junk yards for a good, clean dash?

It seems odd this company would make a product for the less common earlier Rabbit/Golf and not for the later versions of the MkI Rabbit/Golf. Perhaps someone else does so they never ventured into making them or there is a simple glitch in their Internet set-up where they are unaware it isn't being displayed.

The second suggestion could be a crapshoot but you never know.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, I would try the MkI forums at VWVortex.com.
ecopreneur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company that makes the molded dash I mentioned in the link got back to me and assured me that it would not fit my 1981 pickup. I plan to go with the patching and vinyl painting route I saw on this forum.

Thanks
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make myself clear. Sorry. I knew the dashes weren't interchangeable but I thought they might have made a proper one or knew someone who did. Anyway, I've seen people do amazing stuff repairing '70s and '80s dashes from VW including Super Beetles. Good luck with that, but don't rule out getting one from a junk yard.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not swap it with the older dash? looks better than the usa (only) soft dash imo... and as you can see they have dash caps for them...add a nice scirocco sport steering wheel and, BAM!!
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: