Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air shock question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Air shock question Reply with quote

So I was reading, some place not sure where, about running air shocks instead of coil overs. Is this a good idea? I would love to get rid of my torsion bars. Would this work? I know that I would have to run a set of shocks with them to remove/ control the bounce. Basically I'm looking to get rid of the torsion bars on my rail on the cheap. I found a set of 14 inch stroke fox air shocks on the cheap locally. This is just an idea, now let the flogging begin......
Dirty hippies give busses a bad name
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
heywebonya wrote:
Would air shocks be useful to adjust the ride from road to off-road? Or are they mostly for improving weight carrying capacity?
Thanks
Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, you need to strip and rebuild them to give any meaningful spring rate change, so not particularly.
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the enlightenment. Not what I want to hear but sometimes the truth hurts... Thanks again
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, so is life. But remember, you can F up once and do it again or do it once the right way.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, do you mean the fox 2.0 air shocks? If so, then actually they are build for exactly what you wanted to use them for. they are for light loads where heat buildup will not be an issue, such as a sandrail. its what the redline revolt uses. if you are using it in rougher stuff, then look at coilovers. foa builds some decent yet cheap coilovers that are not much more expensive than the fox 2.0 air shocks. With that said, if you are looking at the car shocks with the airbag thing on them, then no, don't waste your time.
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am building the rail to tryout some off-road racing here in colorado. It is not full on desert racing but the suspension will be working pretty good. I also want to take it up in the hills on some of the 4x4 trails. The shocks I am talking about are fox 2.0's 14" stroke and the came off a rock crawler that is being parted out. I will look at the FOA to see what they have to offer.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh yea, those would be nice. I thought you were talking about the small ones you get at the flaps.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, then you will want a coilover with a remote res. the heat buildup will really screw with your dampening.
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.... Thanks for the input
GreasyCV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if your car has a decent amount of wheel travel and no sways bars you will get a ton of body roll with air shocks.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more than the same rate setup with coilovers or torsion bars.

Fade and ride height creep may be an issue for desert racing though.
Dunegoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running gas shocks on my sandrails since the 1980's. Love them, obviously. If you get a nitrogen bottle and a regulator, you can make changes pretty easily.

Basically:
Gas pressure is the spring rate. Change dampening by disassembling them and changing internal shim washers. Change ride height by changing mounting points, not via gas pressure if possible. The spring rate is very progressive and naturally so due to gas law: P=(constant x Temp)/Volume. At mid-stroke the volume is 1/2 that of fully extended and the pressure is 2 times, 4 times at 3/4 stroke, etc. In a sandrail, you will likely never see temperature come into the equation because with all the airflow, they will stay close to ambient.

They are great for jumping, landings are smooth! Gas shocks have mostly replaced coil-over designs on monster trucks for some reason.

I doubt that you can just bolt them in and be happy, because you need to figure out travel, travel limit straps (maybe), dampening settings, gas pressure and clearances.

Nitrogen is much lighter than Iron as a spring material. You can save a lot of weight with four of these babies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas pressure is mainly preload, for ride height changes, etc - oil fill height has magnitudes more effect on changing the actual spring rate.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new style fox air shocks are a lot better than the old type that were made mainly for the use of helping while towing.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/fox-air-shocks-vs-coil-overs.40981/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/131-0606-air-shock-technical/

read these the second one is more informative where the first is more people just rambling on and arguing about them
Dunegoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillipM,

I think you may be right about the oil. In order to get repeatability if nothing else, most of us always adjust the Nitrogen pressure with the wheels off of the ground. Pressure is sure easier to change than the oil quantity, so I just have the standard amount of oil and change the pressure.

This guy probably has all that figured out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqpqPc7qEA&t=1m25s

Sorry about the monster truck link Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an easy analogy, the charge pressure change is more like just winding the spring pans up/down on a coilover.
Where's changing the oil height is like change the springs out for different rates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: