Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dissappointed with New VW's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my 2012 Passat TDI SE in February of 2012.

I just ticked over 79K this morning. Other than oil changes and the DSG service around 55K, I replaced the factory Hankook tires at 61K. Still no where near the wear indicators on the original brakes. Still averaging a calculated 48.6 mpg overall. It's not my first TDI, but I'll never daily drive another gasoline engine vehicle again. The DSG shifts flawlessly and actually delivers a smoother drive than the CVT in our Audi. The DSG also has hte hill holder feature, and a DSG WILL roll backwards on a hill. It's actually pretty fun in manual.
It gets better mpg at 75 than 55, but it's actually great in rush hour rolling traffic and even in my regular 30-40 minutes of afternoon back ups on I-95, i still average 50-52 on the trip computer on my afternoon drives.

Could there be More leg room in the back?? I feel like I'm in a different Area Code. More leg room than my parends DeVille

Areas for improvement:
The Headlights suck and I have replaced both main bulbs which was 1000k times easier than replacing the bastard W8 HID's, but why a 2012 VW doesnt' come standard with HID's but a lowly Kia does is beyond me.

I hate that you can't open the rear seats from inside, and they need to spend a few bucks and change the trunk lid mechanism to something that isn't constantly in the way of an otherwise huge trunk.

IT's NOT a freaking WAGON!!!!

Does this thing even have traction control and Anti lock? I can smoke the tires at a stop light like an episode of Fast and Loud.

The only issue I've had were a windscreen washer fluid level sensor problem and last winter, we had such a long cold spell the DEF fluid system froze and gave me low level warnings. When trying to refill, it overflowed because it wasn't the least bit low, it was frozen. Apparently the warming system can't handle persistent temps below 20 for long.

OH, I totally forgot about the front wheel bearing failure around 40K. Not covered under under warranty.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love new VWs. We have a couple in the family right now that are holding up very well. I have a 2001 New Beetle turbo stick shift and my mom has a 2006 Passat 2.0t auto.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dissapointed in new cars for a couple odd quirky reasons.

1) They are all over-powered for me. I guess I could get used to more power but most of my driving is either in town with 25mph speed limits or less, or on icy snowy roads where lots of power is useless. I like that school bus feel of flooring it in every gear as the vehicle barely lumbers down the road, especially in a little car. I do not find any joy in speed or power. If they sold a compact car with 50hp or less I'd be interested.

2) I just hate the idea of a throw away society. I mean we're talk about a ton of metal and plastic that's "thrown away" every time someone takes a perfectly fixable car to the shreader just so he can get a new one. And the thing is that new cars seem to be made disposeable on purpose. I got nearly 500,000 miles on my 1985 Golf diesel and it still runs fine. Am I going to get that in a new car?

3) I like to be different. I own an air-cooled Beetle and a diesel powered Golf because they're different. When some guy comes up in his new car and brags that it is so powerful and has air-conditioning, power steering, and anti-lock brakes I really don't see how that's any different than everyone else's new car. Of all the new cars out there the Aptera, Nissan Leaf, Mazda RX-8 and VW TDIs somewhat interest me because they are different. Man, if VW came out with an air-cooled rear-engine car again or a some other different engine design (gas turbine, stirling, steam, etc.) I'd be all over it. But New Beetle, Corolla, Civic, Mustang, etc. all seem the same to me.

This is what I like. If I were to look into buying a new VW which one do you think would be most interesting to me?
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of the many small cars VW manufactures globally but won't bring to teh US because of crash standards, emission standards and general perception of what Americans want. The polo, Lupo and fox sound right up your alley.

VW screwed up when they decided the VW brand should compete with their own Audi brand and moved upmarket with cars like the Phaeton, W8, Toureg, etc.

I still love every one of my VW's, old and new. I've been looking for a decent Golf TDI for my daughter to commute to college in next year.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this, so here we go.
2012 Passat 2.5 purchased 31DEC2011
Got a good deal, and a few things thrown into the base model, so the dealeer did not have to pay taxes on it the next day.
$20.5K
First year saw a stupid level of driving and ended up with 40K miles on it.
Only one problem happened, and it was covered under warranty, with me being in a loaner for almost a month total.
CAN BUS system had a flaky controller that had a temp related failure, took me and the dealer a while to figure out the temp related part of things, and then they were able to replicate the failure at the dealer, and fix quickly.

Driving impressions.
Drives well, exactly what my wife wanted. Vault like interior, much better construction than the similar price point competitors, but has less infotainment toys.
Gets30-34 on the highway, driven fairly aggressively.
First set of tires (Conti) lasted right at 65K miles, now is wearing Falken Ziex 612's and I cannot recommend them, as they have a much softer sidewall, and need to be run 5-7 psi higher than the Contis, or you get a weird twitchyness that makes things feel disconnected front to rear..

This thing now has 76K miles on it, and is still running like a champ, no leaks, no runs, no errors.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
any of the many small cars VW manufactures globally but won't bring to teh US because of crash standards, emission standards and general perception of what Americans want. The polo, Lupo and fox sound right up your alley.

VW screwed up when they decided the VW brand should compete with their own Audi brand and moved upmarket with cars like the Phaeton, W8, Toureg, etc.

I still love every one of my VW's, old and new. I've been looking for a decent Golf TDI for my daughter to commute to college in next year.

How about an XL1? Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF's daughter has an 03 Jetta turbo w/an automatic. It's been nothing but a billboard for the Lemon Law. It's now parked w/a blown transmission w/just over 100k miles on it. I spent some time reading about these VW's w/the automatic transmissions and was shocked how prevalent the transmission failures where.

Other people I know that had bought a new VW in the past 10 years had nothing positive to say about them. Frequent electrical problems, transmission issues, headlight problems on the first series on new beetles, etc.

http://ratings.jdpower.com/automotive/ratings/909201735/2014-Vehicle+Dependability+Study/index.htm

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new VW or Audi or BMW or Mercedes. I personally think the Germans got a bit arrogant and their quality control has suffered as a result.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SgtSamy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
My GF's daughter has an 03 Jetta turbo w/an automatic. It's been nothing but a billboard for the Lemon Law. It's now parked w/a blown transmission w/just over 100k miles on it. I spent some time reading about these VW's w/the automatic transmissions and was shocked how prevalent the transmission failures where.

Other people I know that had bought a new VW in the past 10 years had nothing positive to say about them. Frequent electrical problems, transmission issues, headlight problems on the first series on new beetles, etc.

http://ratings.jdpower.com/automotive/ratings/909201735/2014-Vehicle+Dependability+Study/index.htm

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new VW or Audi or BMW or Mercedes. I personally think the Germans got a bit arrogant and their quality control has suffered as a result.

The Mk3-mk4 Vw are absolute garbage. My Vw Cabrio is an absolute disaster. I will never buy VW again. I'm done.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SgtSamy wrote:
The Mk3-mk4 Vw are absolute garbage. My Vw Cabrio is an absolute disaster. I will never buy VW again. I'm done.

Shocked

A few years back, I specifically flew to Tennessee to buy a Mk3 Jetta for my daughter to have through high school and college. It was hard finding one that remained in stock configuration or didn't already have a ton of miles on it.

Part of the allure was our Cabrio was completely trouble-free and the ABA engine had proved itself to being bulletproof my many.

Selling Cabrio was very hard for me to do, but I really wanted Eos. Then, after we bought Tiguan as a graduation present, we sold the '97. In hindsight, I wish we had kept it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SgtSamy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Had a 2000 TDI we put 280k on it. Literally, the only problem we had was the glove box door cracked a couple times and they seem to consume light bulbs like a fat kid with a box of candy. It was a 5 speed though. Now the 2.0 slows that both of my sisters had were a different story. Both had the problem with incorrect rings and oil consumption. Three rebuilds between two cars and the one never really improved with oil consumption. Never had transmission issues though. Surprisingly we never had the window lift problems.
I did have a stupid level of water intrusion with the sunroof on my 2000 Passat, even when I tweaked her nipples every time I washed the car. I've had far more problems with our Audi A4 cabriolet. Three CVT replacements as well as a clutch pack replacement, antenna wiring harness failure so we have no radio signal, rear quarter regulator literally exploded, oil leaks and a vibration they have never been able to resolve. My wife loves the damn thing and still won't let me get rid of it after 11 years.
Machette Speedster
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

How about an XL1? Very Happy

I would totally love to have one or the original 1L for my commute. I've been working on getting my hands on a Messerschmitt replica to repower with a diesel hybrid drive.
Machette Speedster
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite dissapointed in VW. They sell diesel and hybrid cars in the USA but no diesel hybrids, even though they make ones that get +250mpg in other countries! VW was probably the first car company to make a +30mpg car back with the original 25hp Beetle in the 1930's and 40's. And yet so many VW owners here in the USA are so proud they still get +30mpg in a brand new VW some 80 years later!

Well, yes the diesel and hybrid VW's are a bit more impressive, getting upper 40's and 50's. But I get that in my 1985 VW Golf diesel! Where's the technological advancement? I want a 250mpg car!

Back when VW first started to advertize in the USA it was dubbed the "Think Small Car". But it looks like VW would rather keep up with Ford, Chevy, Toyota and all the others. I really would like to see a car that stands out as completely different instead of being practically the same as any other car.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to VW, it is the majority of the American public who want bigger cars. Remember when Toyota, Honda and Nissan (nee Datsun) were ridiculed for first making bigger cars, then luxury cars, then pickups?

Thinking small was great when single folks stayed single longer, families ventured into having two cars, and later when oil embargoes and inflation were attacking the wallet.

As for comparing the diesel my '81 had to the TDI our Golf has to the clean diesels now available, the differences are night and day with each other. All of the diesels are good, perhaps great. There were inclines (not even talking hills) my '81 either needed a head of steam like 18-wheelers sometimes use, or I faced needing to downshift into 4th. If running the a/c, I just resigned into knowing I needed to downshift. The TDI chirps right along at 75 MPH on the same route; I don't think I ever drove the '81 over 75. The newer diesels perform nicely and are far more eco-friendly.

Now, I will agree VW makes me unhappy in that there are things they make but don't offer to us yanks. For starters, I would probably own an Up! or Polo GTI if offered. I know we would have another Tiguan in place of the Golf if one were offered with a TDI and a manual transmission. The Touareg has been so dummied down, I'm looking at 2007-09s instead of a new one right now.

The funny thing is I understand why VW does some of the things they do for the masses. However, some things VW could do for its enthusiasts could be as simple as letting them special order the offered vehicles they want.

For example, they don't have to stick one single US dealer with one single vehicle with a manual transmission. Through a special order, one should be able to order any of the VWs for the US market with a manual transmission. It makes no difference to the assembly line if it is building a Touareg with US specifications, a manual transmission, a rear differential lock, and air suspension. If someone wants to order it and pay for it, so be it.

Funny thing is I special ordered a specially equipped Ford Econoline van back in 1976. Yes, I had to wait 13 weeks for it, but so what? Maybe VW should imitate Ford again. Wink
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:

Well, yes the diesel and hybrid VW's are a bit more impressive, getting upper 40's and 50's. But I get that in my 1985 VW Golf diesel! Where's the technological advancement? I want a 250mpg car!

The advancement is in that while you get the same fuel economy, now you get that with very little emissions, impressive safety, many more on board luxuries, a good heater, and of course well over double the horsepower.

Central Jersey VW Society
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying there hasn't been improovement. I'm glad emissions are getting better and cars will crunch a lot better than before. But still, I get the feeling cars could be much much better and that all car companies only make them good enough to get the most profit possible. There are rumors now that building a new car may cause more polution than to just keep driving your old clunker for several more years. Even a 5 or 10mph drop in speed limits across the board could greatly reduce deadly traffic accidents but instead we now have speed limits as high as 85mph here in the US and they keep going up. In some of the iciest states studded snow tires are illegal year round. Now Honda airbags are blowing shrapnel in peoples faces and killing some.

To me priorities should be #1 safety, #2 enviroment and #3 practicallity. But car companies want #1 power, #2 luxury and #3 speed so it will sell and add safety and emissions stuff only because the they have to. To me, power, luxury and speed should be last on the list. I just want to get from point A to point B without causing any damage and or injuries to the enviroment and people. There are means to do that, even if it means resorting back the way we did things for eons before the industrial revolution. But even if there's a way to save the planet and keep technology it certainly isn't going to happen the way things are going. But a car that gets 250mpg is at least a start.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately most of the general public is more interested in power and luxuries, than economy so the car companies sent us those cars. If some day there is enough public demand, then we might start to see them.

Central Jersey VW Society
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
I'm quite dissapointed in VW. They sell diesel and hybrid cars in the USA but no diesel hybrids, even though they make ones that get +250mpg in other countries! VW was probably the first car company to make a +30mpg car back with the original 25hp Beetle in the 1930's and 40's. And yet so many VW owners here in the USA are so proud they still get +30mpg in a brand new VW some 80 years later!

Back when VW first started to advertize in the USA it was dubbed the "Think Small Car". But it looks like VW would rather keep up with Ford, Chevy, Toyota and all the others. I really would like to see a car that stands out as completely different instead of being practically the same as any other car.

My Passat has more room that my parents Cadillac DTS, gets 50mpg regularly AND is classified as a ULEV. zero smoke, zero diesel stench, nice and quiet. its roomy, comfortable and has a heater that will roast a turkey. I could probably fit your golf diesel in the trunk I can't complain.
Machette Speedster
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
The funny thing is I understand why VW does some of the things they do for the masses. However, some things VW could do for its enthusiasts could be as simple as letting them special order the offered vehicles they want.

Funny thing is I special ordered a specially equipped Ford Econoline van back in 1976. Yes, I had to wait 13 weeks for it, but so what? Maybe VW should imitate Ford again. Wink

Totally Agree. Unfortunately every version has to be certified thanks to the wonderful EPA and DOT. Do they even TAKE orders from US customers anymore??

I'll have a Scirocco R line TDI please.

Machette Speedster
fifty8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

I'll have a Scirocco R line TDI please.

X2 on the Scirocco, though I wish they'd have made it a fastback. Not that we'll ever see them in the US anyway (or the Amarok, Caddy, Up, etc). Also hate that VW always seems to put out tons of neat concept cars that they have no intention of selling (especially the new Bulli).
As far as newer VW's I have had. I had a MkV GTI which I loved. Good power and reliability. Traded it at around 90k miles to get a TDI for the fuel mileage. Unfortunately for me a TDI Golf MkV was not available in the US so I had to get a MkIV. After driving both, the MkV is definitely a better design. Now my MkIV is about to hit 200k miles. Its only issues so far have been the ignition breaking and a brake issue. Pondering getting a MkVI TDI Golf in time.
1951 Chevy Bel Air (project 'Mom's first car')
1948 Ford F-1 (project)
searching for May 7, 1969 Karmann Ghia (149 860 0??)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
My Passat has more room that my parents Cadillac DTS, gets 50mpg regularly AND is classified as a ULEV. zero smoke, zero diesel stench, nice and quiet. its roomy, comfortable and has a heater that will roast a turkey. I could probably fit your golf diesel in the trunk I can't complain.

Your Passat still polutes, doesn't it? If you get about the same fuel mileage as my car, then it's still producing about the same CO2 emissions per mile as mine, correct? And we have no way of knowing how much polution was produced to manufacture it, right? Don't you think Volkswagen could have traded some of that luxurious, roomy, comfortable not at all needed qualities for something even more practical, efficient, enviromentally friendly and economical?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: