Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need upper fan for sedan
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Need upper fan for sedan Reply with quote

The one at the top of the engine in the sedan. I'm sure it has a name, but other than "the little fan" I don't know what it is.

Anyone know where I can get a rebuilt or new one? Perhaps it's been fitted for other vehicles and I can look it up for that other application.

Thanks!
mikeyboy_85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: fan Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1393585

found that in the classifieds

Cheers Michael
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alzo....and man its been a long time.....I believe that one of the main industrial equipment company's like Dayton also makes a 12 volt motor that is almost exact to this motor. Its been since I was in college and a little later since I ordered one for a car I was working on.....but the memory was that this motor or many very similar to it form kind of a sub class that were used in a lot of places.
At one time you could walk into a motor supply, tell them 12 volts, rpm range, shaft diameter and direction of rotation and they could get you an off the shelf motor that is so close. ....only slight differences in motor body diameter...and shaft length that you could cut to length.....and maybe need to drill the correct mounting holes in the flange.

I will look around. Its worth knowing. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: fan Reply with quote

mikeyboy_85 wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1393585

found that in the classifieds

Cheers Michael

Sent email. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks!
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Alzo....and man its been a long time.....I believe that one of the main industrial equipment company's like Dayton also makes a 12 volt motor that is almost exact to this motor. Its been since I was in college and a little later since I ordered one for a car I was working on.....but the memory was that this motor or many very similar to it form kind of a sub class that were used in a lot of places.
At one time you could walk into a motor supply, tell them 12 volts, rpm range, shaft diameter and direction of rotation and they could get you an off the shelf motor that is so close. ....only slight differences in motor body diameter...and shaft length that you could cut to length.....and maybe need to drill the correct mounting holes in the flange.

I will look around. Its worth knowing. Ray

Thank you very kindly. Any help is worth it. I feel I'm at a disadvantage to a lot of guys on here, because I'm not an AC VW guy. I don't know what parts are shared and which aren't. It makes me look like a doofus, but that's the price I'll pay to get this car back in good order.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont sweat it. There are people on these forums that have been working on vw since before icwas born and they no nothing of the type 4 cars. Too few built for too short of a time. Unless you own one or more or have worked on them for a while....you would never know whats in them. They never even made a Bentley manual for them. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when this fan is supposed to turn on? Specific oil temperature or some weird flap like thing like the 914 uses? If at a temperature, what temperature?

Thanks!
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you test that the fan is not working? It only has power and ground wires so it's really easy to test.
The fan is for the Eberspächer heater and works only when the engine isn't producing enough airflow to the heating system.
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
Did you test that the fan is not working? It only has power and ground wires so it's really easy to test.
The fan is for the Eberspächer heater and works only when the engine isn't producing enough airflow to the heating system.

Yes, I tested on a 3A 12V power supply and it moved, but just barely. Very noisy.

I thought it was auxiliary engine cooling. Like I said before, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: