Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 shifter problem
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skamenir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: 66 shifter problem Reply with quote

Hi guys, finally got the gazelle insured so I could test drive it after the restoration . Only problem is with the shifter, can't downshift from 3rd to second , even double clutching. I replaced the shifter rod bushing, and coupler, during the restore, the shifter was removed, so I could not mark the location. In neutral, no problem, but once running, it's like the gate is gone. I have to go in and out of reverse to find first. Possibly a adjustment problem?
Thanks for any input
Steve
Skamenir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went on road trip, adjusted shifter for and aft, till it shifted like butter. Now I'm a happy camper! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: shfting Reply with quote

I'm about to change the front bushing, as the old one isn't even in the bracket anymore.

Are the holes in the shifter / gate large enough to allow adequate adjustments, or do you need to open them up sometimes?
thanks,
Mike S
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the holes in the shifter tower, yes they should be large enough for adjustment. I've never come across a stock shifter that needed the holes to be enlarged for it to be adjusted. The bolts should have a flat washer under the heads to cover the hole and spread the load. Since you'll have to be there anyway, you should have a close look at the rear coupler. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Skamenir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to tie a string around the shift tube, thru the bushing, not so bad on a stocker, but the gazelle shift tube is only about 2 feet, what a pita.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: