Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

high pitched whistling from engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfdoom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: high pitched whistling from engine Reply with quote

I had trouble starting my 1964 bug recently. I traced the problem to the fuel pump because it wasn't pulling in air from the gas tank. In the process of trouble shooting I removed the pump completely from the engine and submerged it in water to test if it was able to pull any fluid through. It seemed to work fine so I tossed it back into the engine. I got my car to start after sucking on the fuel line a bit. must have been something clogging it slightly. but now there seems to be a high pitched whistle coming from the engine. It stays the same pitch and remains there even through acceleration and idling. I also noticed that it was much more noticeable if i stood directly behind the engine, rather than off to the side of it. I originally thought that i must have lost a lot of the grease in the compartment with the spring loaded mechanism in the fuel pump, after submerging it in water. But after taking it apart again and adding a considerable amount of grease this did not alleviate the whistling noise. Any suggestions for what could be causing this noise? Thanks
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't assume the noise was caused by the fuel pump. Try some obvious things, push the fan housing in and out with the engine running and see if the sound varies. Remove the fan belt and run the engine (briefly) without it. Also try lightly pushing in on the generator brushes with a screwdriver while the engine is running...but be careful, and wear a face mask/shield/goggles when you do this. And make sure the rear engine pulley isn't rubbing on the rear sheet metal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This usually works FAR better then most people think it would.

Get a 3 or 4 foot long piece of garden hose. Put one end to your ear and move the other end end around in the engine compartment while the engine is running.

This should help you to locate where the noise is coming from. Or at the very least narrow down the area.
mfdoom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of your posts were very helpful. You were right the noise wasn't from the fuel pump or caused by it. And I was able to VERY easily locate where the whistling was coming from using a 3 or 4 foot long hose. Turns out one of the bolts on the underside of the carburetor was loose. In cleaning it out a few weeks prior I had neglected to fully tighten it down. Definitely am going to pass on that hose idea to anyone in the future with a similar problem
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: