Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery box dimensions for swing axle
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Battery box dimensions for swing axle Reply with quote

All,

I am planning to build a battery box well under the package tray in the rear. I am wondering how big I can build it to fit without interference.

I currently am planning 9 1/2" wide x 11" long x 8 1/2" deep.

Can someone give the "standard" well dimensions (L x W x depth) as well as the measurements from the centerline of the tunnel and the outside of the rear torsion covers?

My concern is that my measurements are missing some important issues like access to bolts or movements that I am overlooking.

Here is a picture of the buggy when I extended the rear package area.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kind regards, Jeff
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I had a guy make me these for mine......

Can get you some dimensions if you want. Clearance is fine, although clearance will depend on where you moumnt it as the frame horns do slope downward slightly. The further back you mount it, the more depth clearance you have. However, there is only so far back you can go before you risk fouling the starter. Seems I got very lucky. When I installed the Corvair engine into mine, I used the Porsche 928 starter, which is longer than the VW. I've literally a mm or two clearance between the box and the starter.....!

Ben
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPM, That is exactly what I am planning - if it is not too much trouble dimensions would be great. I do not want to build a box that is too big.

Great looking box and I like the spare box for parts.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery box dimension really is a matter of what size battery you are planning to run. Many people are running small garden tractor batteries or motorcycle batteries. I personally prefer the Odyssey PC 925 batteries for their low profile, durability etc. but they are costly. The other added benefit is they can sit in any orientation.

My suggestion would be to determine your battery needs and then find a battery to suit you and build the box to fit your choice (with a skosh more room to accommodate wire leads etc).

I understand that you are wondering about the IRS trailing arm hitting the bottom of the box...but if you choose a low height battery and step that from your top deck height you should not have a problem.

Hope that helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: