Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog lights on a 1960 ghia convertible?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Fog lights on a 1960 ghia convertible? Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, I am a new owner of a 1960 convertible ghia and I wanted to know if amber fog lights were ever an option on a '60 vert.
If so where should I put the switch? I've found a nice one that looks like a stock pull knob.
Can I run them (55w each) off of the fuse box with a relay and an inline fuse or do I need to bring power forward from the battery?
Thanks for opinions.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the archives and didn't see fog lights offered as optional equipment. That doesn't mean they weren't available. I've seen a couple of Ghias wearing them.
I suppose if you were in the VW showroom getting ready to close the deal but wanted fog lights I'm sure they could have been added.
As for wiring I think I would run them off the battery with the in-line fuse, as you suggested.
Show us some pics if you add them Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a line from the battery, in-line fuse to a relay, with a lighted switch on the dash (it replaced to spot where the cigarette lighter was). Mainly I didn't want to tap into the fuse panel as well as I wanted to keep it isolated.
Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I have since found a pic of an early Ghia with an auxiliary knob near the ignition and choke. Not certain what it was for but that location may make things a little cramped to work on from the bonnet side. Brassneck, I saw the pics of your fog lights and the placement is sweet. I was looking at using hardware that would mount to the towel bars so I wouldn't have to drill the bumpers, but now you have me rethinking..
Again thanks and KingK I will indeed share the pics when it happens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: