Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fact or fiction? A 'crossover year' model beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Fact or fiction? A 'crossover year' model beetle? Reply with quote

I came across this UK ad for a 66-67 Beetle, and what it is stating flies in the the face of everything I've known or learned about 1966 Beetles. The ad states, in part: "This 1966 registered example is a factory correct 1966/67 model year crossover with components and specification shared between both model years." Ad ID is 1672272.

So is this real, or a load of bull-cr*p ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossover is BS. But the grain of truth is two-fold:
- The '67 production year began in August 1966
- Some non-USA models had equipment from other years. (For example, they had 6V electrics from '66 or even older. 1500 models had disc brakes from the '68-up Ghia.)

There was no official "mid-year" or "crossover year" model, though.

Ask for the first half of the VIN number, and for photos.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the VIN it is a 1967 model year

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1672272
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the ad it's a great car, but very clearly a '67 model.

His comments about later bumpers and push buttons relate to the changes made for the '68 model year, not a '66/'67 "crossover" model. It may have been registered in '66 but it is a '67 model year. British registration practices may affect what the paperwork says.

For an allegedly correct and meticulously-maintained car, I'd like to have seen the small air preheat hoses connected rather than have hot air sucked through the holes in the rear tin. But that's about all there is to quibble about, unless you want to go OCD on them about the non-stock trunk dashboard cover or the re-painted rims. Wink

I'd also like to see some documentation about service history, compression readings, etc. if I am putting out ten grand. And... is that dollars or pounds?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
... British registration practices may affect what the paperwork says. ...

I agree, when I looked at my car it was advertised as a '97, a 'P' registration (license plate) had been issued for the car. The VIN clearly shows it as a '96, the paperwork shows that it was originally registered in Feb '97 (in Germany). When my car was brought to the UK, they issued a 'P' tag based on the original sale date of the car, not an 'N' tag based on the model year.

In the UK people refer to the car year as the registered year (if within a year or two of the model year) and not the model year as we always do here in North America.

This is my understanding, maybe someone from the UK can confirm.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fact or fiction? A 'crossover year' model beetle? Reply with quote

Back in the 80s I owned 2 consecutive serial # 1968 Beetles (bought as his and hers when new), that had early bumpers, low back seats, painted dash, and 5 lug wheels. Effectively 67s, but were clearly sold as 68' models back in the day.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like here in the US we don't know much about what was sold in the UK in '67, whomever placed the ad in the UK doesn't know WTF was sold here in the US either!

This ad belongs in the official whine topic section for many reasons...
#1-With 5 bolt wheels it most certainly does not have factory front disc brakes.
#2- Wide whitewalls were far out of fashion in the US by '63-'64.
#3-"Door cards" are run of the mill re-pops, as are the seat covers. Notice the early, ivory window crank knobs too.
#4-Pristene engine? I don't think so Laughing
#5- Reverse lights on top of the bumper guards, really?
#6-Worst of all, on Brazilian re-pop bumpers too Mad
#7-Current exchange rate, US $17,940.26!!!

I could go on and on...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Like my grandpa used to say ..."if it seems too good to be true .......".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the Beetle models were much the same as on the European continent ( except being rt. hand drive) meaning there are three model Beetles ( excluding the two sunroof models ) for 67. There is a 1200 "A" model with a new for the basic model a 40hp engine and 6 volt system with older style front fenders and headlamp assy., a 1300 deluxe with 6 volt system and old style front fenders and headlamp assys. and the 1500 model with 12 volts, new style front fenders and new type headlamp assys. and front disc brakes.
click on the link to see my friends 1967 deluxe 1300 6volt, old style headlamp and fenders parked next to my 1965 "A" sedan. She and her father bought the car new in Hamburg:
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0138_edited_1.jpg

1965 to 1966 is the big transition in the basic model. ( 111 & 112 )
1966 to 1967 to 68 is the big transition in the deluxe model. ( 113 & 114 )
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point here is that this particular car is being described as one that was bought in Germany to be taken to the USA, and then was later taken to the UK. It was not an original UK designated car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
The point here is that this particular car is being described as one that was bought in Germany to be taken to the USA, and then was later taken to the UK. It was not an original UK designated car.

And this doesn't add up given the equipment on the car (or claimed to be on it).

- There was no such thing as factory 5-lug discs. Discs that came with 1500 engines came with '68-style 4-lug, 8-slot style wheels.
- Those reverse lights are comical mounted there!

So I expect that someone "restored" this to represent it as more original and authentic than it really is. It's a fine car, regardless-- but overpriced, over-represented, yet under-described as far as engine/tranny condition.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:

We know that because it's in the add's description.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only added that comment because some of the posters didn't seem to understand that part of the seller's description ......
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KTPhil"]
Digger89L wrote:

And this doesn't add up given the equipment on the car (or claimed to be on it).

- There was no such thing as factory 5-lug discs. Discs that came with 1500 engines came with '68-style 4-lug, 8-slot style wheels.
- Those reverse lights are comical mounted there!

So I expect that someone "restored" this to represent it as more original and authentic than it really is. It's a fine car, regardless-- but overpriced, over-represented, yet under-described as far as engine/tranny condition.[/quote

] Yes exactly, and from some of the descriptions, plus the flash chrome bumpers some things are altered. My guess is that the car was ordered by the guy in the U.S. with U.S. specifications and picked up in Wolfsburg with drum brakes and converted to disc along with those bumpers and other things during the restoration or should I say Resto Mod.
The heading of the thread is correct though. These model years have the most change going on and are in transition, only some of the transitions made by the owner or who worked on it are not correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: