Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
Charmaine's54 wrote:

I am intimidated by the rear torsion bar/plates. I'll try to find a YouTube video so I can see what you are describing a bit better.

It's really not as bad as it sounds and you can buy a tool that makes it simple and safe. You can probably find it for less, but here's a link showing the tool and a demo video:

https://chircoestore.com/torsion-adjusting-tool-vw...fgodCCkA1Q

You can use the tool to preload the springplate, then remove the springplate cover, then slowly lower it while prying it away from the stop. Simple and easy.

I had a huge response all typed out but stupid, glitchy iOS 8 froze my app and I lost it all.

Trevor had offered to lend me his tool Smile

My dad brought back the acetylene torch so we can heat up the bolt affixing the pedal cluster to the pan floor, and also heat the two shock bolts. My dad so kindly took my whole front axle to the carwash and washed it for me! We won't discuss what it did to his truck though. Embarassed

So for the remainder of the day (with a baby tied to my back while listening to the best of the 50's and 60's), I opened up the front plate and removed the gearshift rod and e-brake rod. The brake cables move freely but I am wondering if I just pull the cables and leave the sleeve? I affectionately called the thick brake lubricant 'goo' when telling my husband what I got done today. It's thick like molasses!

I pulled out the throttle cable with no issues.

I detached the clutch cable from the transmission case, so I hope once I get the pedal cluster free from the pan I can pull that out.

And my wonderful husband stopped after his 12hr shift today and picked me up an engine stand! Not many times, I'm sure, does a person's wife request an engine stand on the way home from work. Laughing
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmaine's54 wrote:
And my wonderful husband stopped after his 12hr shift today and picked me up an engine stand! Not many times, I'm sure, does a person's wife request an engine stand on the way home from work. Laughing
You got yourself a keeper! Wink
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad came today and we got a bit done!

Got the front shock bolts out!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We torched the floor pan and got the bolt undone. Imagine the #*$&@ that came out of my mouth when I realized that yes, that was indeed a snapped bolt there, left from someone else.

We disassembled one of the rear brakes and pulled out one of the e-brake cables. Gross! Laughing

I also disassembled the clutch brace from the transmission and decided we'll leave the clutch cable, not sure if I need to replace it.

Now just to disassemble the other brake and the transmission/axle will be ready to come out.

Now. My dad was suggesting we leave the spring plates on and powder coat it as a whole. Bad idea?
2016 Golf R - my daily
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave the spring plates on. It's really not a big deal to take them off and put them back on. Too many people make it out to be some secret voodoo that it isn't. If you want a hand with them I can help.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Don't leave the spring plates on. It's really not a big deal to take them off and put them back on.

Agreed!!! You have to remove your spring plates because you will want to replace your torsion bar bushings! I used these . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111511245A
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Trevor P wrote:
Don't leave the spring plates on. It's really not a big deal to take them off and put them back on.

Agreed!!! You have to remove your spring plates because you will want to replace your torsion bar bushings! I used these . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111511245A

I literally JUST ordered these. Along with a lot of other stuff! Laughing
I got almost all the components I need for the brakes, except the wheel cylinders that I'll get closer to home for a bit less. Also the clutch kit.

I got bushings, mounts, shocks, tie rods, wiring harness, muffler, shocks, cables, seatbelts... And the list goes on. I'm going to go cry into a pillow now.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Wolfsburg West this morning to clarify a couple things on my order and I have to say they are amazing to deal with!

I spoke to Rich, who was super awesome and helped me make sure I had all the grommets and hardware I needed, and pointed me in the right direction as far as some parts that I didn't realize I needed, lol.

Super impressed.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the local vw vintage parts store today to see if he still had a pair of drop spindles and he sold the pair he had only days ago. I call it a sign - the car is supposed to remain stock height Wink In the Wolfsburg West order, I got new king and link pins so we'll just reuse the original spindles. Yay!

While I was there, I got the number to a man that has a few parts - I called him and hopefully he'll have me set up with a couple things I need to try to put the engine back to original. This makes me happy! He may also have some other pieces kicking around so I'm quite happy I may not need to search terribly high and low to find the parts I need. He was super nice to boot.

I loosened all the bolts to the transmission and they all turn (I didn't have a huge wrench to do the large bolts on the carrier so I just did the smaller ones to the mounts instead) and now once I have help, the transmission can come out.

I pulled a major noob error and took the brake plate off the axel and spilled fluid all down my pants and all over the floor. Wasn't quite expecting it, but, if I'd have stopped and used my head Idea I would have! I was in a hurry to get inside for supper.

I had difficulty removing the left e-brake cable from the sleeve, it's catching at the very end. I'll mess with it later. My brother will hopefully come over tomorrow if he has enough gas left, to use the MIG to get some of those snapped bolts off.

Hopefully the transmission comes out tomorrow!

Once that's out, I'll begin taking apart the front beam as I want to send that to be blasted/powder coated with the pan. I have an engine stand in my garage ready to go! A friend so thoughtfully brought it for me yesterday so I can take back the one my hubby bought me. And I'll scrape the remaining undercoating off the pan. Lucky me. Then, hopefully I can get help with the spring plates.

2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was pretty solid!
I started by turning out all the bolts that held transmission and rear axle, and my sick hubby came out and helped me lift the transmission out.

And then my brother came over with his MIG and we got the two snapped bolts out of the shock tower and where the parcel shelf sits. Worked slick.

Then my dad came over and brought some snips and we cut the e-brake cable that wouldn't thread through and got that out successfully. We also swept up all the cat litter from spilled oil and while we were moving the jack stands, we figured we'd tip it upside down!

I began scraping off the undercoating until my husband made me come back inside Wink

Tomorrow we have a local swap meet so here's hoping I find something I need. My friend Trevor is bringing the jig and spring plate tool for me.

I feel really good about today. All went well!! I called the body shop guy and plan is to get the cleaned pan to him next week. On time with our original plans.

2016 Golf R - my daily
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmaine's54 wrote:
And then my brother came over with his MIG and we got the two snapped bolts out of the shock tower and where the parcel shelf sits. Worked slick.

That is very cool right there . . . way to go Bro! Cool

Charmaine's54 wrote:
Then my dad came over and brought some snips and we cut the e-brake cable that wouldn't thread through and got that out successfully.

This, however, concerns me. Why were you unable to remove the old cable without cutting it?
Better find out, and make sure that you will be able to install a new e-brake cable before you send that pan out for paint.
You don't want to have to cut the tunnel open to make a repair on the cable guide tube after the chassis is all nice and pretty!
FYI, on my pan, it was a heater cable guide tube that was some how kinked inside one of the rear wishbones . . . I had to cut out the bad part of the tube and splice in a new section. I am really glad I caught it before paint!
By the by, it looks like you are learning well and making GREAT progress!! Very Happy
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="57BLITZ"]
Charmaine's54 wrote:

Charmaine's54 wrote:
Then my dad came over and brought some snips and we cut the e-brake cable that wouldn't thread through and got that out successfully.

This, however, concerns me. Why were you unable to remove the old cable without cutting it?
Better find out, and make sure that you will be able to install a new e-brake cable before you send that pan out for paint.
You don't want to have to cut the tunnel open to make a repair on the cable guide tube after the chassis is all nice and pretty!
FYI, on my pan, it was a heater cable guide tube that was some how kinked inside one of the rear wishbones . . . I had to cut out the bad part of the tube and splice in a new section. I am really glad I caught it before paint!
By the by, it looks like you are learning well and making GREAT progress!! Very Happy

Good to know, I never thought of that. I had assumed it was getting caught because the threaded part at the end for the plate at the front was just not bending through the very end of the tube at the end in the wishbone. It all slid out fine till that point.

I have yet to remove the chicks cable as I'm not sure if I just remove the wire or the coiled sleeve it sits in.

The heater control cables are completely seized in the tube, only an 1" sticks out and this concerns me. Not sure what to do about it. What a pain!
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pretty much sums up my day. My hands are sore, my back hurts and my arm is burnt. And it's still not done!

Got the front beam on the engine stand last night and hopefully my dad and I can work on her all day tomorrow! Plan is to disassemble the front beam. Then our friend Trevor will come after work and help remove the spring plates.

Maybe my hubby will go out tonight and try to get the remaining front brake cover off the plate as its being stubborn and I can't get it off.
2016 Golf R - my daily
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"went to the local vw vintage parts store today to see if he still had a pair of drop spindles and he sold the pair he had only days ago. I call it a sign - the car is supposed to remain stock height Wink In the Wolfsburg West order, I got new king and link pins so we'll just reuse the original spindles. Yay!"

I am glad to hear you are not lowering this car. Keep up the good work!
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all for lowering. Cal look the thing! Build it the way you want it, its your car. Hell chop it if your heart desires. Dont let other people influence what they want on YOUR car
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kielbasa wrote:
Im all for lowering. Cal look the thing! Build it the way you want it, its your car. Hell chop it if your heart desires. Dont let other people influence what they want on YOUR car

Thanks for saying this.

Truly, deep down, I want the car to look as it did the day she was made. I kinda take it as a challenge to get it as close as possible with a few minor upgrades and without being crazy and breaking the bank to get a part no one will see. I know the pan wasn't originally powder coated but it will be an improvement and still look stock.

My brother insists on bagging it, lol. That's his thing though. As much as I love lowered cars, I want this car to be what she was in 1954. I so badly want my own little piece of history.

On the other hand - my husband is planning our 'next project' already. A bug for him... He wants to lay it out and wants the survivor look with heavily patina paint. He knows it will be a while! One project at a time! He sure has gotten 'the bug'! Laughing I spoke to the gentleman with the parts today and he laughed when I said that my son watches "VIN 903847" on repeat... He laughed because he realized my son has the 'illness' already and he's only 3!
2016 Golf R - my daily
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im building my 55 out of my garage, few locals stop buy every so often when im out there, to check on progress, but i think mainly to bitch and complain what im doing to a 55. Haha
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your vision, Charmaine. Your car will still look great after the laid out look is played out. Plus it will hold its value, though that doesn't matter because you'll keep it forever.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charmaine! i love your attitude Wink
keep it stock and you will rock Cool
UltraMaroon54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL let's just clear this up, I'm not looking to 'lay anything out'. And I'm not the sole influence for a subtle lowering. Heck, even VW recognized that these cars sat about an inch and a half too high in the 50's.

And there is nothing wrong with finding a clean 'survivor' and driving it like it was meant to be driven. The reason I want another is it is quite obvious Char has claimed this one for herself, as much as she tries to convince me it's 'our' project lol.
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UltraMaroon54 wrote:
LOL let's just clear this up, I'm not looking to 'lay anything out'. And I'm not the sole influence for a subtle lowering. Heck, even VW recognized that these cars sat about an inch and a half too high in the 50's.

And there is nothing wrong with finding a clean 'survivor' and driving it like it was meant to be driven. The reason I want another is it is quite obvious Char has claimed this one for herself, as much as she tries to convince me it's 'our' project lol.

a true family car Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 53

Jump to: