Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are smashing through it!

something you might want to do before getting your seat frames powdercoated is to replace the spikes/tabs that fold over to hold the fabric to the frame. they fatigue and you most likely break one or two when you put new covers on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:

something you might want to do before getting your seat frames powdercoated is to replace the spikes/tabs that fold over to hold the fabric to the frame. they fatigue and you most likely break one or two when you put new covers on.

I haven't got the seats apart yet but will certainly have a close look Smile thanks for bringing this to my attention!
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
UltraMaroon54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:

On the radar.

Speaking of seats, and yes I've searched..

Can anyone outline what exactly makes these seat pads on the 54 (and 55) different from a 56 - 64? I am of the understanding there is a slight bolster to the front seat bottoms? I am also told they are much narrower? Can anyone confirm this?

As it seems that nobody offers a proper seat pad for the 54/55 does anyone have any recommendations/DIY?

Thanks in advance
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure where the other box is... But half of my order is here!
2016 Golf R - my daily
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhoh. Hope the other box shows up. For some reason i have very bad luck with shipping and recieving. If it were me, gaurnteed the rest of the stuff was lost. I bought a talbot side mirror for my 55, from samba here couple months ago, came smashed Sad

Im enjoying watching your build. Its cool to watch others build their cars same time im doing mine.
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kielbasa wrote:
Uhoh. Hope the other box shows up. For some reason i have very bad luck with shipping and recieving. If it were me, gaurnteed the rest of the stuff was lost. I bought a talbot side mirror for my 55, from samba here couple months ago, came smashed Sad

Im enjoying watching your build. Its cool to watch others build their cars same time im doing mine.

I checked out your build as well! Sorry to hear about the car that got jacked from your driveway Sad

Yeah - the tracking number says it's in Quebec (3 provinces over!) and that it's at the post office waiting for pick up. I emailed and called WW. I hope I just have the wrong tracking info. I put it on my credit card so I am sure that if I deal with them I will have coverage... BUT.... I did not want to have to deal wit this. The good thing, I guess, is that the most expensive stuff was in the box that arrived.

Heres to hoping for honesty and if someone else gets my stuff, that they contact WW and send it back.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's a big trailer for that little pan!

I spoke to the post office, it is their error as to why the parcel is missing, as my correct address is on it. Apparently my second parcel got misrouted to Quebec, OR, they had a courier demise in a severe traffic accident and parcels in his truck were destroyed. So let's hope it just went on a small holiday. :'(
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to report that my missing parcel from WW arrived.

Also, my parts from Virtanen arrived from Finland; very happy that I didn't have to pay duty.

The torsion plate covers look amazing. The jack mounts are hand made.

The battery section of the floor pan doesn't appear to be exactly what I need; it's not 'deep' enough as the bottom corner/'wall' of where the battery sits is what's rusted out on mine. I'm hoping this piece will be ok, as I really don't want to buy a whole pan half Sad The piece I have doesn't have the 'wall' portion as it's basically flat.

Gonna drop these off at the body shop today, along with my seatbelts/hardware so that mounts for them can be added to the pan.

I made another thread, but I'm curious if anyone has any advice as to the exact placement of the seatbelt mounts on the pan. I'm bringing my lower seat halves to the body shop to hopefully help with the placement.
2016 Golf R - my daily
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UltraMaroon54 wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

On the radar.

Speaking of seats, and yes I've searched..

Can anyone outline what exactly makes these seat pads on the 54 (and 55) different from a 56 - 64? I am of the understanding there is a slight bolster to the front seat bottoms? I am also told they are much narrower? Can anyone confirm this?

As it seems that nobody offers a proper seat pad for the 54/55 does anyone have any recommendations/DIY?

Thanks in advance

I have a '54-'55 rear base pad I don't need, only it is in the uk... could check shipping if you like???
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmaine's54 wrote:

Also, my parts from Virtanen arrived from Finland; very happy that I didn't have to pay duty.

Holy cow! I need to check this thread more often. When you said jack mounts and torsion covers i cringed because I had no idea these early parts were being reproduced.

UltraMaroon54 wrote:

Yes, the pads are shaped differently and the earlier seat is narrower. Also, the frame is set at a different angle at the bottom, so the '56 and later seats get higher off the floor (seat mounting is at a rake) as the seats move forward. The earlier mounting is flat. This is to help shorter drivers see over the hood!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Charmaine's54 wrote:

Holy cow! I need to check this thread more often. When you said jack mounts and torsion covers i cringed because I had no idea these early parts were being reproduced.

Well, Wolfsburg West reproduces the covers - $50 USD for the pair. I didn't discover them on WW until after I ordered these - I paid heavily for these but they are awesome so I'm not regretting it in the slightest. They are beautiful. I was going to order from BBT but it so happened that the same man who had the jack points I needed also had these, and I like to save on ship, so I got them from him.

The jack mounts are not 'reproduced' either - but, these are hand made and are pretty much identical to the ones on the car. Very happy!

The user "Virtanen" on the Samba classifieds is where I found them. Check out his stuff as he makes it all by hand.

Good thing neither of us are short and the early seats won't be an issue.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

I have a '54-'55 rear base pad I don't need, only it is in the uk... could check shipping if you like???

Thanks! We'll keep that in mind once we get the seats apart!! Very Happy

I realized that the back seat belts will actually attach to the body... but still want the front ones to be as OEM spec as possible as far as placement. I guess it really doesn't matter ALL that much, lol.
2016 Golf R - my daily
UltraMaroon54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Yes, the pads are shaped differently and the earlier seat is narrower. Also, the frame is set at a different angle at the bottom, so the '56 and later seats get higher off the floor (seat mounting is at a rake) as the seats move forward. The earlier mounting is flat. This is to help shorter drivers see over the hood!

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for.. The OG seats have seen better days and have worn in to the horse hair, however if the pads are not rotten I will hopefully be able to salvage them. Otherwise it looks like I will have to resort to layers of foam which I'm not too keen on.
UltraMaroon54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

Thanks for the offer! I think we'll be ok in this regard as the rear seats appear to be consistent through to at least '64 IIRC? It's the front seats which I am mostly concerned with finding now.

Cheers
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem... but they are different form post '55. I spent ages trying to find one after a small battery fire, and then two came along at once.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in 1956 the entire seat was moved back to provide more legroom in the rear (and less luggage space). So '55 and earlier seats are different front and rear.

Heinz Nordhoff
UltraMaroon54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
no problem... but they are different form post '55. I spent ages trying to find one after a small battery fire, and then two came along at once.

Blue Baron wrote:
Yes, in 1956 the entire seat was moved back to provide more legroom in the rear (and less luggage space). So '55 and earlier seats are different front and rear.

well crap, lol.. Of course it has to be different, too.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I found out yesterday that the gentleman who is going to rebuild my engine and transmission wants my stuff in 2 weeks.

I got instructions from him and Trevor to remove all the tin work.

My dad came over and helped dismantle the engine and get it ready. Just have a few questions for Trevor and the engine guy and we'll take it to get it washed up and ready to go! As Trevor promised, there was a mouse next inside.

Still have to remove that lower pulley to get that last piece of tin off.

The one heater control box is completely rusted out.
I'll bring the pieces inside in the next couple days and wash the parts that are to be powder coated. I'm just waiting on a couple parts yet and then I'll be ready to send all the little pieces to my friend to powder coat (basically everything but the pan, seat springs and front beam as those are going to a large commercial powder coater).

Since the muffler was incorrect with 2 tailpipes, I bought a new one. This one is new, never used as it was put on the engine, I assume, and then parked. It still has the sticker on it. Any help with pricing is appreciated.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Volumex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you able to find out when the motor was built from the stamps on the block?
It appears to have had a few parts replaced with later ones.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmaine's54 wrote:
Since the muffler was incorrect with 2 tailpipes, I bought a new one. This one is new, never used as it was put on the engine, I assume, and then parked. It still has the sticker on it. Any help with pricing is appreciated.

You now know what a new repop muffler costs . . . this one is OEM . . . do you think it is worth more or do you think it is worth less than your new repop?
The VW emblems stamped into the ends looks cool! I don't think any repop will have that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 53

Jump to: