Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
I don't know if it's because I'm nerdy or what, but I wanted a guesstimate for the correct engine number for the car.

If Feb of '54 used cases from 718596 to 737005, and I assume they only worked in the factory from monday to friday, in February of 1954, that left 20 working days. If 18,409 cases were made that month, an average of 920 cases were used per day.

Now. I know that the number of cars produced probably varied somewhat, so the numbers aren't going to be perfect. But according to my estimate, my car was born on February 8th, giving me a case in the ballpark of 723915 to 724834 as being correct for my car.

The '60 case that was in my car was stamped 730261. That would put it around Feb 17th if it were actually stamped with a '54 number. This further leaves me to think that the number on there was either a random Feb '54 number, or is in fact missing the appropriate 3- in front for a 1960 case and the number coincidentally corresponded to Feb '54 without the 1-.

In any event, the new case coming will be from roughly Feb 18th. I'm pretty happy with a 10 day discrepancy!

Chassis numbers were assigned in blocks of numbers for various export markets, so cars were not assembled in chassis number order (this explains some of the discrepancies in Progressive Refinements, where the chassis number shown on a given date is most likely for the home market). Cars destined for the U.S., Canada and Guam shared common blocks of chassis numbers and once one block of numbers was exhausted, a new block of numbers was assigned, so your car could have been assembled later than you think. This is why there is a strong possibility your original engine was 1-0730261.

If you obtain the Feb '54 case (1-0730866) from Simon, a difference of only 605 numbers is amazing!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

Chassis numbers were assigned in blocks of numbers for various export markets, so cars were not assembled in chassis number order (this explains some of the discrepancies in Progressive Refinements, where the chassis number shown on a given date is most likely for the home market). Cars destined for the U.S., Canada and Guam shared common blocks of chassis numbers and once one block of numbers was exhausted, a new block of numbers was assigned, so your car could have been assembled later than you think. This is why there is a strong possibility your original engine was 1-0730261.

If you obtain the Feb '54 case (1-0730866) from Simon, a difference of only 605 numbers is amazing!

Thanks for explaining this. I was unsure! Love learning this stuff.

I do know that the 730261 is not my original number though as indicated by my car's birth certificate. That's why the number stamped on it is such a mystery.

Finding a case only 605 off though is crazy. So thankful!
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you submitted the engine # with your birth certificate request to the museum did you submit 1-0730261 or just 730261?
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the plain 0730261 and they actually added the 1- in front.
2016 Golf R - my daily
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I thought they might of denied authenticating it on a technicality. The letter I received verifying the engine # was original had the complete #.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can declare your engine number original if we vote on it. It was even on the line the same day!!

( I'm not a big "numbers matching" fan , full disclosure.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are hilarious.
I had wondered why the number was incomplete, why the case was replaced and stamped with such a weird number and why such a mishmash of parts was put back on. I mean, if the engine was rebuild and a factory replacement case issued, why didn't they put the original tin work back on?!

And why did they put the single strap oil bath back on? So strange. They replaced everything with odd parts. The generator is Oct '58. Why not put the original back on?
2016 Golf R - my daily
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a shop's perspective, I wouldn't want the engine coming back for a faulty fuel pump or generator...so why not use new at the time of engine install. Back then, they weren't concerned as "Period correct" as we are now. It was all about function.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most factory replacement motors came in a crate fully asssembled. there was no switching over of parts. I have seen fully crated rebuilt motors and all they did was unpack them and put them in. That is why your replacement motor didn't retain any of the original parts.

brad
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Most factory replacement motors came in a crate fully asssembled. there was no switching over of parts. I have seen fully crated rebuilt motors and all they did was unpack them and put them in. That is why your replacement motor didn't retain any of the original parts.

brad

Ah that makes more sense. It seemed odd that all of it had been replaced. Rick was pretty happy for me to have found a case Smile

Still doesn't explain the bus crank nut on the large pulley, or why the tins weren't put back. Razz
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My pan is just about done. The battery tray is fixed and the new jack points installed. It's going to the coaters on Monday and then the body is going.

Sure did find some undercoating in my hair today... It's been there since I scraped the car a few days ago... Glad it didn't burn my hair.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a bit of a big day!

First, the body guy came and picked me and my seat springs up. He brought my pan on his trailer and off to the powder coaters we went.

Dropped off the stuff, only to realize that the torsion arm bushings in the axles needed to be pressed out gently - and the powder coater was hesitant to do it. We ended up taking the beam and hope to have a plan for replacement bushings before they get damaged removing them if we don't have anything to replace them with. WW has some coming in stock, but need a reamer to put them on... which I don't have access to.

If we can't find replacement bushings, I may just paint the beam, which I don't want to do. I really want it powder coated.

The powder coating should be done next week some time.

Then, he came back to my place and we picked up the car and loaded it on the trailer. Bye bye she went. It was bitter sweet. Seeing her every day and now I won't see her for months! The body guy did promise me update photos. I will be getting photos soon once it's blasted to know the severity of replacement sheet metal needed. I'll post here with these photos as I get them. My son also waved and said "Bye! Get Better" as she got strapped to the trailer.

My very empty garage until the pan comes back, Wink. Went from having 4 cars (with the bug disassembled it took the space of 1.5, so really 4.5 cars) down to just two!

The case has been shipped and I'm very excited about that!

My friend who coated the smaller pieces for me should hopefully be done soon.

In the interim... any insight on those bushings would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a VW special tool 274a to lend to ream them on...
2016 Golf R - my daily
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier and cheaper to buy another beam
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kielbasa wrote:
It's easier and cheaper to buy another beam

LOL, you should know me by NOW, haha. I'm all about keeping as much OG as possible, lol. And that means trying to keep as much from the car, on the car without being stupid. Embarassed Razz
2016 Golf R - my daily
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you need to know when to call it. Just use anot her beam for now. Keep your original beam to fix and worry about later. Trust me, it's worth it to just swap beam. How do you know that's the original beam anyways? Could have hit a curb and bent the beam and then been replaced Wink
It's a suspension part. They wear out and need replacing. Sure you can rebuild it spend lots of money time and headache trying to fix those bearings... good luck Smile

Your looking to find fake rear fenders, when yours are repairable, but want to try and save a beam??? Youre almost as nutty then I am hahaha

Just what ever you do.... do not even look at those plastic bushings you'll hate yourself forever
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
Tempie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from beam has number too.. So you can know if its original

Visit the Standard Split and Oval Beetle group!!

VW Standard Split and Oval Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:

Sure did find some undercoating in my hair today... It's been there since I scraped the car a few days ago... Glad it didn't burn my hair.

Remember what John Muir wrote in his "Compleat Idiot" book, wear a stocking cap for your long hair!

Heinz Nordhoff
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Remember what John Muir wrote in his "Compleat Idiot" book, wear a stocking cap for your long hair!

Haha - yes, I was wearing a hood to cushion the wood I was using as a head rest and still got it in my hair, and later found it in my ears, nose...
I was smart enough to wear goggles, and I looked mighty intelligent while doing so.

Tempie wrote:
from beam has number too.. So you can know if its original
The front beam is original as per the number. Hence why I had it repaired, want it powder coated and am trying to get the bushings correct Very Happy I'd rather keep the front beam as original and replace with urethane bushings than replace the front beam.

I don't WANT to replace my fenders, but from a cost stand point - they will be very expensive to have repaired, and if I can get the high quality Klassic fab fenders for a fraction of the price of having mine reworked... Still don't know for sure what I'm doing. I'm thankful my fenders are repairable IF I can't find a good repro, but repro metal on the car isn't as important to me as numbered structural parts, as there will be other repro metal on the car such as the apron and rear wheel wells etc in any case.

Kielbasa wrote:
It's a suspension part. They wear out and need replacing. Sure you can rebuild it spend lots of money time and headache trying to fix those bearings... good luck

We are talking about the bushings, not the needle bearings. I'm wanting to replace with the plastic 'micarta' material.

This is what I've learned...
On 46-65 years of front beams - Volkswagen used two types of control arm bearings / bushings inside the axle beam tubes. Some beams came with inner & outer bushings made of a hard brown plastic material called Micarta. Others came with needle bearings pressed into place. There is no way to tell which you may have unless you take apart your beam and physically look.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Char - that picture....the children....the children....!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Char - that picture....the children....the children....!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Haha, working out in the garage has certainly been a new thing for me - before kids, I used to model and never left the house without makeup.
I still enjoy wearing makeup, but now, I find I don't have time for it. Between being busy with the kids and Beatrix not really caring what I look like, lol. At least I can have a sense of humour and humiliate myself on a public forum Razz

I will redeem myself with a pre baby photo, driving my husband's air cooled 911.

And a photo from a car show that got published in Sport Compact Magazine, approximately 1 million years ago, and a photo featured in the newspaper from another local car show featuring a friend's mkII golf with a V6 audi engine crammed in it.

Hopefully the children have been saved!

Anyway, back on topic!
Derlin bushings ordered from NLA. Trevor says they will still need to be reamed despite them saying it's not 'necessary'... key words.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 53

Jump to: