Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I suddenly feel compelled to start a discussion about tires on your car??
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Why do I suddenly feel compelled to start a discussion about tires on your car??

I am actually curious as to where to find tires for her. I'm thinking of breaking the rules and putting on whitewall radials. Shocked
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you've got too much to worry about there... if your husband is like most guys he'd take underseal in your hair from working on cars and a sense of humour to go with it, over a face full of make-up ANY DAY.
(plus you probably have a mirror so should already know you don't need make-up)
(hopefully I managed to phrase that without sounding too creepy... Confused )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
I don't think you've got too much to worry about there... if your husband is like most guys he'd take underseal in your hair from working on cars and a sense of humour to go with it, over a face full of make-up ANY DAY.

I usually invite myself to dinner with solo business women on the road at hotels. When you talk about your wife and six kids in the first 15 seconds, the creep factor disappears. (And she does have a pretty Oval bone structure that goes with either Clinique or Ziebart....)

Smile

Tire rack has 160-80 15 tires for about 70 USD each. White walls are frowned upon in Canada as they offend the French.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

I usually invite myself to dinner with solo business women on the road at hotels. When you talk about your wife and six kids in the first 15 seconds, the creep factor disappears. (And she does have a pretty Oval bone structure that goes with either Clinique or Ziebart....)

Smile

Tire rack has 160-80 15 tires for about 70 USD each. White walls are frowned upon in Canada as they offend the French.

Thanks for the compliments. I will remind my husband how incredibly lucky he is Laughing
LOL why would whitewalls offend the french?!
And holy, I am not getting any of the jokes today, who the heck is Clinique and Ziebart and who the flip has an oval bone structure?!

Beatrix has an oval and that's about all I know.
K guys, back on topic!

I went and picked up a couple of the parts I had at a friend's to powder coat as they didn't fit in his oven - pieces of engine tin (the 2 longest pieces) and the fan shroud), so I have to drop those off at the commercial coaters who are doing my pan. As well, I'm hoping my bushings have been removed from my beam by the lovely Trevor tomorrow, too so I can drop that off and they can begin. My garage feels empty, I need the pan back!

I was told not to powder coat any pulleys by my engine guy, I have a correct for 54/55 NOS generator pulley/big nut on the way anyway. And I think I got my paws on a correct lower pulley, too. Not sure if I will keep the lower pulley as an extra part for the car and actually use one with a rolled lip on it since I do plan on driving her... the rolled lip ones don't warp as easily.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, something super cool just happened.

I picked up my beam as the bushings were pressed out - and dropped it off at the powder coaters.
My springs had just been blasted and my pan was about to be blasted. Got pics of it in the blast booth, and got a tour of the facility by the owner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should be ready early next week.
2016 Golf R - my daily
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Not sure if I will keep the lower pulley as an extra part for the car and actually use one with a rolled lip on it since I do plan on driving her... the rolled lip ones don't warp as easily.

just think how many millions of miles were driven on thin lipped pulleys. unless you do something bodgy or stupid you should be right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have all the tin that can be seen at the same time done by the same person. If the big pieces and small tins are done separately there is a chance they will come out looking different. This will be really appearant on the shroud breast plate and cylinder tin if not done at the same place

Brad
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You should have all the tin that can be seen at the same time done by the same person. If the big pieces and small tins are done separately there is a chance they will come out looking different. This will be really appearant on the shroud breast plate and cylinder tin if not done at the same place

Brad

I have considered this. Scpc has my shroud and breast plate. I am hoping to find correct cylinder tins later so I'll see how it all matches. I was going to use what I have for now and replace as I find the correct pieces. My breast plate is a 2-hole so I need to find a 3 hole. I wanted to get my stuff done in case I don't find the correct stuff as it's proving hard to find.

I need to pester Todd to see what he has; I know his mom isn't well so I don't want to bother him.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was like an early Christmas!

Right on the bake rack.

At home and ready to be unwrapped. Merry Christmas to me!

Beam hung by the pan with care....

Seat springs look fantastic!

I can't wait to start reassembly Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm sitting here, plotting my next move when I should be sleeping. I pulled out the Bentley manual and compleat idiot guide and am a little (lot) overwhelmed as I am fully realising how little I know, and how much learning I have to do.

My questions. Hopefully you guys will have some insight!

Do I replace the grease nipples on the beam? If so, which (size) are they? 8mm?

Steering box. I have done nothing with this. Should I have it rebuilt, or is this something I can do myself? Just clean it up and put it back on as is?

What do you suggest I buy for grease? I probably should have asked for a grease gun for Christmas. Embarassed

I'm sure I'll have more questions by morning, lol.
2016 Golf R - my daily
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Grease nipples, yes renew them! If I remember correct they are 8 mm.
2. Steering box, at least renew axial seals and cover gasket. Check also the condition of parts, and adjust it.
3. I use red calcium based vaseline.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Char....start getting your tasks into two lists...those that can be done pan off and pan on. Spend the money on the "must have pan off" ones so that your progress and budget is saved for " must do now" stuff.

So put your front end back together, adjust your steering box, change fluid, and see what they play is like. If it isn't leaking and steers well, maybe you can go for that German loop carpet that you want NOW by saving money on the box that still works well.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You worry too much. Wink Laughing
The steering box is a pretty simple venture. I can assist if you need. There are 2 seals that will need replacing that you can get locally. It's a matter of cleaning up and resealing. I would powder coat the box once it's apart, if not you can paint it if you choose.
Once the bushings arrive for the beam we can make some good progress on the beam. However you need to figure out the hardware plating situation before you can put anything together. Did you ask for a blasting cabinet for Xmas?
70 911T
91 Westy
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
You worry too much. Wink Laughing
The steering box is a pretty simple venture. I can assist if you need. There are 2 seals that will need replacing that you can get locally. It's a matter of cleaning up and resealing. I would powder coat the box once it's apart, if not you can paint it if you choose.
Once the bushings arrive for the beam we can make some good progress on the beam. However you need to figure out the hardware plating situation before you can put anything together. Did you ask for a blasting cabinet for Xmas?

Haha, the amount of money I've paid my friend who does the powder coating to blast my stuff, I could have bought a cabinet blaster! Only reason I didn't is the huge air compressor needed to run it!

Oh Trevor, thanks again for offering to help. I do hope you realize that you'll be helping a lot as I clearly need someone to hold my hand, lol. It's very appreciated!

Well I'll start by taking the steering box out of the bag and cleaning it up.

What the heck am I gonna do about hardware? I will buy new hardware as available, but haven't a clue as to where to get it plated. I did ask for a mechanics vise and bench grinder for Christmas Laughing
2016 Golf R - my daily
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly the zerk fittings for the beam and the ones for the link pins are 2 different sizes.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a metric tap set? It would be a good investment and will help you greatly when reassembling. Go ahead and run the proper tap thru all threaded parts, especially since you had everything powdercoater.

If you get stuck on bolts/nuts/washers go to www.boltdepot.com

I converted everything to SS on my 54...which goes against your reuse philosophy, but sure does make it nice

Last edited by txoval on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Do you have a metric tap set?

Maybe even better . . . I mentioned these to you back in August . . . http://www.amazon.com/Mstc-RC7-Metric-Rethreading-...ead+chaser With these, there is less danger of removing too much.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Do you have a metric tap set? It would be a good investment and will help you greatly when reassembling. Go ahead and run the proper tap thru all threaded parts, especially since you had everything powdercoater.

If you get stuck on bolts/nuts/washers go to www.boltsdepot.com

I converted everything to SS on my 54...which goes against your reuse philosophy, but sure does make it nice

Thanks! Now to go through my hardware and figure out what is what. It's all labelled but I obviously need to learn thread sizes and figure out how to order replacements.

I already have a tap and die set Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your beam is original to the car you will have 10mm grease zerks and they are available cad plated from Bolt Supply, I always replace them. The spindle carriers also have them replace those too. Steering box seals can be found at BNT I got a few sets for my stuff but had to special order them. Take in the seals or measure the shafts and housings for the ID and OD and depth of the seal and they can match them up.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 53

Jump to: