Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick tip for spray painting...especially when its cold. Use a hair dryer to heat the part up and then paint

I'd powdercoat the pan washers, but there's nothing wrong with painting them either. The worst part about painting parts like this is the prep. Powdercoating is great because they sandblast the parts first. If you paint them, be prepared to work hard and damage your hands.

If you have a bench grinder with a wire wheel, they are pretty easy to clean...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a grinder and wire wheel. However my work bench that was supposed to be installed in the garage in September is still not installed. I'm hoping as soon as it warms up.
I think I may powder them since it's on the bottom of the car. More durable. I was concerned with thickness and them fitting properly, or crushing the coat when they get tightened in place.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the wheel cylinders painted today thanks to my hubby.
He's painting the steering box as we speak Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I began reading the Bentley to refresh my memory for putting the backing plates together. I found a page with a diagram and it has expanders and leaf springs and I began to panic as I'd never seen this stuff before. Luckily the diagram that matched my car was a few pages prior; as I read the wrong page I thought "oh great", perhaps my brakes weren't period correct and that would be one more thing to buy. Laughing
So now my question, how do the soft lines attach to the wheel cylinder? It appears I have two female ends. The Bentley is not clear with this. Is there a piece in there that I'm missing? I'll head out to the garage and dig in the brake bags to see if I can find a piece, and look through my disassembly photos.

Anyone with the same TRW steering box I have? Did you just use the original clamp? I can't seem to find anything that 'fits' better with it.

My brother needed more sound deadening dynamat for one of his cars (I think he needed 2 sq ft, lol, but bought 50 just to 'have on hand'!) so I went in with him and bought 50 sq ft of it for myself, too. Won't need it for a while but was cheaper to buy together. Man that stuff is unnecessarily expensive.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a metal brake line between the rubber brake hose and cylinder

Check this thread for pics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Thanks. I had actually checked out this thread earlier (I am the last commenter in October). Lots of good pics for reference. I, too have lots of photos of the inner drums/plates but just nothing of the hoses going to the cylinder up close.
Wink

So now to find that metal piece that goes to the cylinder. I know I will only have two as the rear brake lines were cut and drywall screws were driven into the rear wheel cylinders. Will need either two more or a whole set of 4. Now the hunt begins if I can even find new ones.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you are going to replace all of your metal brake lines? They come in a kit.

See link for a blow up

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bug_brake/bug_brakes.cfm?type=1
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoses for the front go directly into the cylinders. The metal line at the front goes from the brackets on the pan direct to master. The rears are the only ones that have a metal line going directly into them. They use a hose between them and the pan. You will need to replace all your metal lines.
70 911T
91 Westy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
txoval wrote:

Thanks. I had actually checked out this thread earlier (I am the last commenter in October). Lots of good pics for reference. I, too have lots of photos of the inner drums/plates but just nothing of the hoses going to the cylinder up close.
Wink

So now to find that metal piece that goes to the cylinder. I know I will only have two as the rear brake lines were cut and drywall screws were driven into the rear wheel cylinders. Will need either two more or a whole set of 4. Now the hunt begins if I can even find new ones.

These are really simple to make up from a flare kit and standard steel lines and fittings, so don't sweat these too much. From the WW diagram it looks like the lines run on the axle tubes. Ill take pix after the snow melts on mine.

Smile
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all new hard and soft lines from WW.
Trevor cleared up my confusion today via text. I didn't realize the rear cylinders didn't have the soft hose to them; my car didn't have anything going to the rear so I was mistaken. I had the hoses in my hands and the rears were female/female so I wondered how they attached to the cylinders, not realizing there was hard line to the rears.

Stephen - photos would be awesome since I don't have a visual for reference as my car was missing the rear lines. Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the body painted Charmaine

TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks amazing!
I'm waiting to hear from the body guy yet about ordering new sheet metal (need to know extent of what needs replacing) and hopefully my body work will commence soon. Totally jealous of everyone who's ahead of me! The weather is warming up and I'm itching to work on her in the worst way.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge order arrived today. What a different experience than my last WW order that the postal service almost lost, had errors on the customs form and took 2 weeks. This order was shipped with FedEx. I ordered 3 days ago! It had less fees per dollar amount ordered and no issues. I strongly recommend using fedex for us Canadians to buy things from the U.S.!

I can't wait to open it and get all the sheet metal off to the body shop!
2016 Golf R - my daily
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
I have all new hard and soft lines from WW.
Trevor cleared up my confusion today via text. I didn't realize the rear cylinders didn't have the soft hose to them; my car didn't have anything going to the rear so I was mistaken. I had the hoses in my hands and the rears were female/female so I wondered how they attached to the cylinders, not realizing there was hard line to the rears.

Stephen - photos would be awesome since I don't have a visual for reference as my car was missing the rear lines. Smile

I did run onto a pic here on Samba but I can't find it now....Grrrr...

Ill check my cars this weekend if the door will go up.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today was going great til it was pointed out that some of the stuff in my WW box was incorrect for my car. 'Fits all bugs through '65' does not mean what I thought, Laughing Embarassed .
Well, at least I can return the rear bumper brackets and quarter panels.
2016 Golf R - my daily
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited about the lack of fees from FedEx, there are more coming in the mail, usually in about a week after you get your parcel. They're as bad as UPS. I still prefer CanPost after shipping and receiving thousands (not an exaggeration) of items over the years for cars and model railroad equipment.

brad
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More?! What more could they charge?
Ack. I need to contact them and get my taxes reimbursed for the stuff I'm sending back. Not looking forward to that either.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedex cannot make you pay for something you did not agree to. It's like if I went to your house and washed your car without your knowlege or permission and sent you a bill for $45. If you met the delivery man at the door and he asked you for $45 and you paid it, you paid for nothing as there is no brokerage to do for antique auto parts. It is like if you park in an Impark lot without paying and they give you a ticket and you paid it, you are paying for nothing. They cannot make you pay for any more than the service you used.

Don
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do not pay the delivery man what he asks, my parcel goes back onto his truck. How does that do me any good? FedEx correctly does not charge import duty on antique auto parts, but taxes are collected, and for the processing involved there is a brokerage fee. The irksome thing is that it is a captive brokerage which may not be economical, and you don't have a choice in the matter, except to say up front "don't ship FedEx or UPS".
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never paid actual 'duty or customs' on any parts I've ordered. It's always just been the tax and their $10 fee. However. This time that I got stuff from FedEx, they only charged me GST, so perhaps the PST bill is coming in the mail. Either way, I have the form all printed off and ready to send to the canada customs agency to apply for the taxes back, since I'm sending several hundred dollars worth of stuff back.

I'm pretty annoyed with myself. I was told very clearly where to order sheet metal from, and for some reason unclear to me, I ordered stuff from WW. The apron is made by Autocraft which is good, but the rest of the pieces weren't right for my car at all. I'm a little annoyed that WW states these parts are correct for certain years when they are not. What a waste of time and money. At least Tony at WW was super nice and I'm sending it back today.

Virtanen is making me the rear luggage section and cross member and support part that I need, as well as supplying me with the rear quarter sections that are correct. I will be ordering the rear bumper mount areas from Wolf. I am just waiting on the body guy to confirm I don't need anything else before I order from these two guys since they are overseas and if I need anything else, I'd like to order it at once.

Hubby has spent the past two evenings (or trying to) take apart the doors. It seems that a lot of water inside the doors has rusted things and made them impossible to disassemble. The window channel screws are giving him a headache.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today - ordered the remaining sheet metal needed from Wolf and Virtanen. I secured a coil correct for the car also. I also found a guy in europe with a few engine pieces correct for my car, so I'm hoping after he has another look at his stuff, I may have most of what I need to make the engine period correct. I am still after some engine tin though. A few items will be finished at the powder coaters tomorrow, I ended up coating the pan washers. It's been an expensive week.

I am on the fence as to whether or not I should purchase a new generator - mine is thin slot but from '58. Part of me is leaning toward finding a '54 one so I can honestly say all the parts are '54, and part of me is saying that no one will care about date codes when it's all done. Are there any differences in the generators between 54 and 58 that I am unaware of?
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 53

Jump to: