Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I really should put this event on my calendar for next year. You're lucky it's only 16 hours!

Save your loonies and twonies and find a way to go to Hessisch Oldendorf:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I really should put this event on my calendar for next year. You're lucky it's only 16 hours!

Save your loonies and twonies and find a way to go to Hessisch Oldendorf:

Don

I think it's well worth the drive. That would be painful from MB in an aircooled...

We hope to make it again. 3 days of awesome.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quite a few years ago I drove to Regina for their car show in this:

That was work! Battling a prairie south wind the whole way. At least it wasn't 35C like it can be. At one point I pulled over for a rest and a nice fellow in an old Morris Minor stopped to see if I was OK. Somewhere on the #3 between Melita and Estevan. Nothing but horizon in every direction. You could see the wind gusts coming a mile away.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

This was on our way to the Mission Raceways on Aug 19.
Yeah, only 37.5 degrees at 2m elevation. It was so hot....
It's easy to grow tired of the Prairies. Driving from here to Regina is quite possibly the most painful drive ever. Flat. Straight. Boring.

At least driving through the mountains is refreshing... We enjoyed every minute on the way up with the sun roof open in the evening/night.

The way home though, not so pretty. Torrential downpour that I hear left actual snow in Alberta.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Some cool updates.

Amazing VW community has pulled together and helped me find some parts I was looking for. Nothing is better than being offered the parts at reasonable prices or just enough to cover shipping, or even no charge at all. I am blown away by the generosity of some of the new people I have met. All I gotta say is that I'll pay it forward when I can, and that I'm so happy to be a part of this community.

Trevor came over last night and helped me get the spring plates set. One was way off (driver's side) and the other was pretty close. Way off and pretty close don't quite cut it! Lol. Thanks Txoval for the link as it helped us get the splines just right.

Here's Trevor checking the pan as level with his nifty VW tool for measuring angles. We got both sides nearly bang on 13degrees.

Once we got them in place, we set the transmission in. It all fits together much better now.

My to do list has a few things on it, which I'm happy about.
Finish transmission install
Build rear brakes
Torque front end once I get torque specs
Torque spring plate covers
Check tranny shifts once shift coupler installed
Adjust stars for front/back brakes
Install Bowden tube with bend
Put clamps on brake boots at transmission end... Will secure outer end once the car is on the ground to ensure they're placed right
Change mismatched or non-OE transmission bolts with OE replacements
Chrome order should be complete in a few weeks
Get new gear put on starter, then paint starter
Begin research into wiper motor and begin restoring that.

My list of parts right now is fairly small so that makes me happy. Still after some correct tools to make s complete tool roll.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress...great thread. Always great to see updates and hear about Vw friends helping out.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

A couple small updates.

Went to install the Bowden tube and upon gently flexing it, it tore. Not impressed. Guy at Wolfsburg West said it was because I've had it a couple years and needs to be installed right away so it can 'set'. Now I have to buy a new one. I did not know there was a shelf life on this stuff. Not thrilled about needing to do another order. This has been yet another reminder that I thought this build was going to be a lot quicker; I had anticipated getting the engine and transmission into the car in the spring of 2015. Laughing

Had these made for the semaphores. Got a couple extra made to sell and give to friends. If you have SWF semaphores, hit me up and I'll gladly mail you a couple Smile

I printed the dvd parts manual as I found it super annoying looking at it on the computer - so I think this will keep me from being frustrated when looking stuff up.

I've compiled some missing bolts and bits to be plated, then when I've got those back I can get the back end all assembled. Gear shift is all assembled and the transmission carrier and mounts all fastened. I needed some m12 lock washers plated so once I get those back I can finish installing the shocks... They're just placed there and not bolted on. The spring plates to the axles were a lot easier than anticipated. This picture was before the Bowden tube ordeal as I don't have the plate installed on the transmission in this picture. I also learned the clamps that came with the axle boots from WW do not fit as they're too big (long).

2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

There... These will 'feel correct' should anyone stick their finger back there like I did to some cars at the show in Vancouver Laughing

Already dropped off at the powder coater today.

Also dropped off some more hardware to be plated.

Got this back... The flocking is sooooo niiiiiice to touch! Very happy with the way it turned out. Makes having a plastic box much more tolerable. The flock is nylon and is super durable. It's soft like a teddy bear, haha.

Trevor sent me a snap of the decal I had made on his barn door. Hopefully they stay stuck for awhile!

Got some more stuff coming from Mika in Finland, and hopefully my wheels and gas tank will arrive soon as promised.
2016 Golf R - my daily
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, my WW tube cracked as well, however my shelf life was only three days...I thought I put too much force on it. Maybe there is qq issue where these are made!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Any updates, Charmaine? I'm going through withdrawal here. I've loved following this thread.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'm still here!! Lol.

Wanting, wishing, waiting.

1. Chrome guy said he'd call me last week; he said he'd call when it's done. Stuff was supposed to be ready in September, after all I did mail it to them in MAY. Haven't heard anything.
2. Semaphores guy said they're near completion, was hoping my dad could bring them home next week, haven't heard anything.
3. Body guy was to do my wheels and gas tank by last week. Haven't heard anything. My guess is he hasn't even started the body; next month will be 2 years since he's had it. He's been telling me he'd get the wheels and tank done since spring....
4. Guy with my generator and regulator was supposed to have it back to me in August... I got warned to stop asking about it.
5. Plater has been too busy to do my hardware etc so still waiting on that, apparently the black zinc hasn't been the right color so needs chemical testing. I did message him earlier today and he's at least trying to get my stuff done.
6. I tried to get ahold of engine guy to see how that's going, couldn't make contact as we just kept leaving messages for each other. So I don't know where he's at.
7. I stopped at concept1 when I was in Calgary last week to buy a new Bowden tube; they sold their last one an hour before I got there. I picked up some roof padding/bows and emblems while I was there so the trip wasn't totally useless.
8. I'm kinda cranky because I don't know how to get people to get my stuff finished without pissing them off.
9. The powder coater is on his honeymoon so I haven't bothered contacting him.

I did get some heater box flaps and some new lock plates from virtanen. And an awesome friend sent me a fuel pump tin that he modded to remove the channel so that's good at least!

Trust me... I'm growing impatient because the weather has been so awesome here and I've had nothing to do.

An interesting topic... I have photos of all my hardware that I've sent to the plater and the 8 rear axle seal to back plate are somehow missing when everything else I had plated at the same time is all there. I've taken pics of each batch of bolts identifying what they are and where they go. You know, the 15mm low profile head bolts with the m12x1.5 pitch shaft. Not quite sure what to make of that, or why just those bolts are missing. But I have a photo of them so I know I had them. Just another thing to add to making me cranky. I've searched high and low and these bolts are no where in my stuff. A cool guy in Vancouver sent me some but I think they're incorrect for my car as they have a smaller head. Not that anyone will see but that's not the point. Point is I had the right ones.
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow. How frustrating! I hope things start going your way after so many delays.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

Me too. So that's why I haven't posted - not much to post about when all I've done is wait.

I keep meaning to begin the wiper motor... it's a daunting task as I don't even know where to begin. I don't plan on driving this car in the rain, lol.

I also need to take apart my original 4 bolt wheel cylinders so I have another set when they need replacing, but they're pretty rusty and I'm not sure the best way to get them apart without damaging the core.
2016 Golf R - my daily
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Put a grease nipple instead of brake line and press grease in by a grease gun. Usually one of the pistons or both start to move.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Just went through this entire thread... I must say, very impressive work👍🏼
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
René R. wrote:

Me too. So that's why I haven't posted - not much to post about when all I've done is wait.

I keep meaning to begin the wiper motor... it's a daunting task as I don't even know where to begin. I don't plan on driving this car in the rain, lol.

I also need to take apart my original 4 bolt wheel cylinders so I have another set when they need replacing, but they're pretty rusty and I'm not sure the best way to get them apart without damaging the core.

This took me 4 half hour lunch breaks including eating a sandwich and cookies Very Happy Cleaned up with scotchbritw pads and polished with mag wheel polish, Painted with industrial paint spray bombs and the electrical contacts were cleaned with abrasive pads that are basically a glorified ink eraser. Posts are brand new. Just dig in and take pictures as you go.

brad
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:
René R. wrote:

This took me 4 half hour lunch breaks including eating a sandwich and cookies Very Happy Cleaned up with scotchbritw pads and polished with mag wheel polish, Painted with industrial paint spray bombs and the electrical contacts were cleaned with abrasive pads that are basically a glorified ink eraser. Posts are brand new. Just dig in and take pictures as you go.

brad

Thanks for the positive posts guys!

So... nothing really to do inside to renew? Where'd you get the new posts and the 'ink remover'? I have cookies!!
2016 Golf R - my daily
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
A cool guy in Vancouver sent me some but I think they're incorrect for my car as they have a smaller head. Not that anyone will see but that's not the point. Point is I had the right ones.

Correction....a cool guy from VICTORIA not Vancouver Wink Wink Wink I think those ones came off a 58 I parted? Pre 55 were 15mm I think you're right...if it makes you feel any better I'm running stainless Allen bolts on my 55 rag Shocked I know the insanity Laughing your parts are looking super good, all your attention to detail is paying off....not surprising to hear of the wait times, broken promises tho....this is one of the main reasons I try and do everything myself, only one to yell at is myself haha
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:
A cool guy in Vancouver sent me some but I think they're incorrect for my car as they have a smaller head. Not that anyone will see but that's not the point. Point is I had the right ones.

Correction....a cool guy from VICTORIA not Vancouver Wink Wink Wink I think those ones came off a 58 I parted? Pre 55 were 15mm I think you're right...if it makes you feel any better I'm running stainless Allen bolts on my 55 rag Shocked I know the insanity Laughing your parts are looking super good, all your attention to detail is paying off....not surprising to hear of the wait times, broken promises tho....this is one of the main reasons I try and do everything myself, only one to yell at is myself haha

Haha awesome! I knew Jarrod had sourced them from a friend, glad to see you on here! Thanks for commenting! Heh, yes, Victoria!! And thanks again for sending them to me; I appreciate it more than you know.
I don't know what's worse... yelling at yourself or having a reason to yell at someone else, lol. I just really want to get this car right and these little details are getting the best of me. Those damn bolts especially piss me off because I know for sure I had them.
2016 Golf R - my daily
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I cleaned off some old grease and applied some new stuff on the bearing, but there isn't much serviceable inside unless you know electric motors or if they are rusty. Just make sure they are clean and the brushes and comutator are in good shape. I'll find out where the scrubbers are from. The new posts are from CIP1 and look to be very good quality although the posts for the arms were a bit big and I had to file the bushings very slightly to get them to move freely.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 53

Jump to: