Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help we´re in BoliviaWe can´t find our G-gear in our Syncro!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Help we´re in BoliviaWe can´t find our G-gear in our Syncro! Reply with quote

Hi
Does anybody in here know where we can find a mechanic who is able to help us with our T3 syncro transmission? We are in Sucre in Bolivia, and we can´t select the G-gear. All the other gears are working fine.
Yesterday a mechanic took out the transmission box and showed us that it is not an issue of adjusting. The G-gear isn´t selectable by hand either. Sad

We are overlanders from Denmark on our way to Paraguay, but we are uncertain wether or not to continue with these gearbox issues...

Hope there is someone in here who can help Confused

Hans

syncronauterne.blogspot.com (the blog is in Danish but there is a google translate button on the top right - for what it is worth Cool )
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be unusual not to be able to shift into G gear, if you can easily shift into R, as these two gears are on the same plane.

Are you certain you have a Syncro trans? Is there a drive shaft connecting the trans to the front diff? A common repair for broken Syncro transaxles down south is replace them with an 091/1 waterboxer transaxle (which of course has no AWD capability).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears: First of all thanks for the reply! Smile

yes I am certain I have a syncro transmission. I know the G and the R are on the same plane (as of yesterday Wink
We have a decoupler installed, so by deafult the syncro is running as a rear wheel driven 2WD...when we need the 4WD we select it by pulling a lever...

Do you think it would be wise to drive it with the G-gear out of function (and all the others working) just until we can get to a VW mechanic in Paraguay?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .. if you cannot shift into G from R, even from the lever (at the side of the transaxle) directly, this suggests that something's coming apart internally. If this is the case, it's risky to continue to drive.

It would likely be the pins securing the synchronizers that have failed. In a pinch, all the synchronizer parts can be left out, and the transaxle will operate OK without these parts. All shifting (into R or G) would have to be done from a full standstill, with a good clutch.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting that there are things that can be omitted from the transmission allowing us to continue to a location where we can get it fixed?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it still requires transaxle removal and partial disassembly within the Low Gear Housing. (We are still only guessing that a broken pin is the issue.)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I see your point.
My problem is that I am not mechanically scilled, and there are noone here who knows anything about the syncro transmission.

We drove it some km´s yesterday without problems. Today I drove it slowly with someone walking along checking for noise, and there was none. All of the gears still engage without problem (except for the G-gear that is).
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No noise is certainly a good sign.

There's a plastic split bushing that fits on the end of the G/R shift shaft, which virtually never breaks .. but I suppose there's always a first time. If this happened, it may have jammed in it's bore, restricting movement, allowing only Reverse to be selected.

Or the bolt holding the fork onto the G/R shift shaft may have come undone .. but I would think the selection of Reverse would feel wishy-washy if this had happened.

Something of a mystery, as the design is pretty robust. Aside from lack-of-oil damage, broken pins are the only common failure in this area.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update from here.
We've now driven from Bolivia to Paraguay (there were no way of getting our problems fixed in Bolivia).
The gears are still working, but there has been some noise from the transmission. Also the R gear is acting like it is broken, unless I drive backwards really slowly. Yesterday the noise was almost gone. (It was like a rattling sound).

I am aware that we might have done more harm to the transmission by driving to Paraguay, but it seemed like the only solution for us.
I'm just hoping the damage isn't too big.

Thanks for your tips Gears. Really appreciated it, I just didn't think it was the right solution for me, under the circumstances and the place we were.

We might though still need some help figuring out were to get spareparts, when we know what to order. So good advise on places in the US that ship to Paraguay will be greatly appreciated! Smile
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY risky to drive .. but I certainly understand that there are few guys way down south to properly repair transaxles ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just spent the last month in Bolivia I can understand your dilemma . Just the nature of their roads and transport system is at times insane Shocked . I couldn't imagine finding the parts or a competent mechanic Rolling Eyes . Glad you have been able to continue and maybe someone else has more advice ,sorry I am not able to offer any wisdom .
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to find a good 091/1 waterboxer transaxle to temporarily replace your 094 4WD Syncro transaxle, until you get to wherever the Syncro transaxle can be serviced. Just going into the G gear housing isn't all that difficult. It's only when a full rebuild is required that you really need a pro (and a full rebuild is what you'll need if you continue to drive it as is).

This thread really belongs in the Vanagon forum where the Syncro owners hang out.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
syncronauterne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've made it all the way to Asuncíon in Paraguay. The transmission didn't break totally down, although the R is a little difficult at times.
We're camping in the garden of one of the members of the Classic VW Club in Asuncíon. Monday we will have the transmission checked by a VW mechanic who has experience with Vanagons Smile
I will post in the vanagon section if I need help with some spareparts.

Once again thanks for the help! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: