Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1946 Beetle restoration, more questions than answers.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: 1946 Beetle restoration, more questions than answers. Reply with quote

The restoration of our November 1946 Beetle is well underway but as the car has been dismantled for almost forty years so there are a few detail points that I would like to clarify. Here are a few that come to mind at this moment…

1. I would like detail of the underside of the front hood where the turn catch mechanism fits.
2. Can someone give me the exact location of the hole that brings the horn wire from the column tube into the front luggage area?
3. Where exactly does the brake light switch wiring loom run out of the luggage area towards the switch?
4. What should be in the filler neck of the fuel tank? Ours looks as if something has been removed from the inside. Spot welds drilled out?
5. Which design of sun visor and interior mirror should be fitted?
6. How is the rear of the headliner fixed above the rear window?

It would be great if the answers to these questions could come back in picture format plus any detail you can add.

Thank you all for your help.

P.S. No doubt there will be more questions to be answered before the car hits the road.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5. No visor. The mirror is known as a "football mirror". Be weary, Pre '47 rear view mirrors are physically smaller in size when compared to the 1948-49 mirrors
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be very wary of inside mirrors offered to you. Many guys try to sell a 40's Ford mirror as VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4, Some Pre '49 8-gallon tanks, NOT all, had a thin shelf to support a "fuel suppressor". This shelf was made of sheet metal. Here's what a "fuel suppressor' looked like when sitting in the filler neck-

I think the earliest 10-gallon tanks (1949-50) also had the small metal ridge but instead of the "fuel suppressor" like pictured above, a small can shaped metal mesh cup was used

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RareAir, the 'fuel suppressor is interesting, is it a spring loaded disc making some sort of valve?
The filter type of filler neck I have seen al be it on an Iltis with a similar sized filler neck.
You also mention 8 and 10 gallon tanks, I guess you are referring to US gallons, what are these capacities in litres please.

Here are some pictures of a '47 fuel tank filler neck to add just one more option to the mix.

Thoughts and opinions from around the World are always welcome.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more question...

There are two round pressings in the right side of lower portion of the front bulkhead. Does anyone know what they were for?
The car is November 1946, body number 11877.

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bump this thread back nearer the top of the list as I am in need of your knowledge as soon as possible.

See the start of this thread for the items that I need help with.

Your thought please.

Last edited by rod_vw on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the same in KdF cars, so they are remains there. What for they are made, I don't know, maybe assembly areas for some war time accessory?
New projects
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Lumps & Bumps Reply with quote

And they are still there in May 47! As Mika says, maybe for the attachment of something. The Kubel has two bumps much the same on each front 1/4 panels, and that is were the vertical shovel mount is attached.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spliteric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bump in the middle, above the centre tunnel would be where the dim/bright mounts in a RHD car, the other one I don't know.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spliteric but I think it is too small for the dip switch. That would also be strange as the LHD position for the switch is on a bracket mounted on the front face of the bulkhead with the switch protruding through a hole in the rear face (Face nearest the driver's feet)

RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich, what year is that and do you know of any variations that may relate to my '46?

RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
Thanks Rich, what year is that and do you know of any variations that may relate to my '46?

Hi Rod,

That's my '47 in the pic. Your '46 will be the same.

Rich.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake light switch harness runs down the left side of the spare tire well and exits through one of the retaining tab holes on the backside of the well. The harness is 1150mm long. A rubber grommet is used in the hole.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:

I certainly hope you will be properly welding up that tunnel. Your secret door on the top will significantly weaken what is the spine of the car.

Ditch the screws and weld it up!
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
The brake light switch harness runs down the left side of the spare tire well and exits through one of the retaining tab holes on the backside of the well. The harness is 1150mm long. A rubber grommet is used in the hole.

Thanks John Henry I was coming to that conclusion myself as no other logical exit holes were visible. A pointer as to which of the tab holes was used would be nice but again guessing it would be one to the left of centre to match the entry slot in the push bar cover. Am I correct?

Is the brake light switch loom separate or is it part of the right front light loom at this point? All detail is gratefully received.

I am sorry to be asking stupid questions but it is almost forty years since I dismantled the car and these details have been lost to a 66 year old's memory.

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson, don't let the clutch cable access hatch worry you. It replaces a very crudely hacked hole of similar size and has been installed by one of the best VW restoration engineers in the UK. It is by no means a simple plate over a hole!

Just as a matter of interest relating to the strength of the early VW chassis backbone, the hole that was in the tunnel when I bought the car was almost as large and had been hacked out crudely with no cover of any type. This hole had been in place during a part of the car's lifetime when I believe it was used in motoring competitions. No chassis distortion was evident then so I am confident non will occur after this reinforced engineering solution has been applied.

kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would atleast round those corners out. Ive noticed tunnels want to crack when corners are cut and not welded back in place.
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Thanks John Henry I was coming to that conclusion myself as no other logical exit holes were visible. A pointer as to which of the tab holes was used would be nice but again guessing it would be one to the left of centre to match the entry slot in the push bar cover. Am I correct?

Is the brake light switch loom separate or is it part of the right front light loom at this point? All detail is gratefully received.

I am sorry to be asking stupid questions but it is almost forty years since I dismantled the car and these details have been lost to a 66 year old's memory.

It's a seperate 2wire harness, running from fuse box down to brake cylinder
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: