Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CHT on top of shroud--AMC heads--heat banking?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: CHT on top of shroud--AMC heads--heat banking? Reply with quote

I'm trying to recall if this was a topic in the past, pre-search mode. Since I've had it the car has always had a limit to how long/far it will run; I've always attributed it to the trans &/or the pump.

I will run the car for a good long while and measure the resistance of the sensor. The pad where it ought to be is neither drilled or tapped, tho it's in a similar spot, closer to the crankcase vent tubes on the heads, still close to the runners, but in sight on top of the shroud. Anyone else have theirs in this locale??
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....let me get this right. You can see the "boss" for the sensor through the sheet metal hole right?....but its not drilled or tapped?

Yep...pretty normal. It means that when the engine was rebuilt they either used a head casting from a carbed car or they used a right hand side head on the left hand side of the car.

If they rebuilt YOUR original heads....I bet you find the sensor hole on the wrong side of the engine.

Either way it is not a problem. You can drill and tap it without pulling the head off....but on your car you will likely need to remove the engine. For short term you can run an extension ire and put the sensor on the right side...but you will have to put a hole in the sheet metal.

There are a few more options we can get into after you find what you have. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on the air filter side, I have a spare in the other threaded hole from a T3, little higher resistance than the T4 one on the typical side. The bolt you see is the bolt from the runners, farthest back one, the hose is from the crankcase ventilation plumbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, poorly worded, you are looking at the spare, on the air cleaner side of the motor.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you have a cht on both sides right? Very Happy ....yep...not uncommon. The 3/4 side runs slightly hotter but as long as one is hooked up and in good shape you should be fine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually run it with the Type 3 sensor which is a little richer once it's warmed up. Idle is burbley, looking for vacuum/air leaks, voltage drops, need to check for carbon at the exhaust manifolds. I thought it might be the trans/torque coverter--idle remains the same with the modulator hose disconnected.

But it could also be a valve train defect, weak spring or leaky valve--after the first rebuild cylinder 1 came up weak, 85 psi compression. They tore it down and put it back together again, about 3k on it since, need to do a comp check too.

Iirc the big DJet harness rebuild threads are here but on the T3 forums, right? And the DJet tuning thread is on STF T4?

If I ever get this thing up to snuff I'm inclined to drive the wheels off it rather than keeping a show/meet queen--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: