Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Carpet Padding
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Interior Carpet Padding Reply with quote

Folks, i am in the process of redoing my interior. I can't find the correct carpet padding for my 61. I know WW and CIP1 has interior tar boards, but i don't wish to spend $100 plus on it. I was told that Home Depot has padding but when i went to buy some, it's the foam type of padding, not what i had in mind. Would that work? Any and all ideas are welcomed. Please point me in the right direction.
thanks
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into the roofing department and look for 8 inch flashing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O..K..

Anyhow, If you town has any store that resells donated/reclaimed/overstock building materials- they may have the jute-ish padding that very closely duplicates the look, feel and bendability of the original material. It is not commonly used today- so I grab it whenever I see it at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore business here in town (there are over 900 nationwide).

I've done my '66 bus and 2 bugs this way. I think Grandpa Pete is talking about going the completely different route of a poor man's dynamat- but it's padding properties and any resemblance to VW work is nil.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original type material was intended more for insulation than just for padding wasn't it? If I were doing it I think I would put down some of that sound proofing material. My '66 has the rubber floor-liner and I would like to install a new carpet kit.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not poor....just frugal.. Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I'd never put carpet padding in a car...too much chance of it getting wet and never drying out...but that's just me!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
I'm not poor....just frugal.. Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I'd never put carpet padding in a car...too much chance of it getting wet and never drying out...but that's just me!

Good point. Especially for those that like to see if their car will float. Rolling Eyes

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of what that Home Depot material looks like? I guess i was looking for jute material, but just can't seem to find it anywhere.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you need?

For carpet padding, as in behind the back seat?
WW claims theirs is an OEM supplier with a tar paper layer in the center. For $39 not a bad deal since it all ready to go...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863891

As a substitute, I used to buy that sort of stuff in 3 x 10 foot rolls at auto swap meets such as Long Beach Vets or Pomona. If you don't have any of those, you could try stopping by a local Father/Son Upholstery shop, they might cut you off a few yards for a decent price, and it would be Pro quality.
AFA the tar paper for noise deadening, you could simply laminate it between two layers of 1/4"-3/8" padding.
GP light weight building paper might substitute, but be aware it could have an odor.

You also mentioned "Tar Boards" as in under the floor mat or carpet if you choose, right?
From WW, only $54, again not too bad considering it's RTR plug-and-play...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863740

As an alternate, this is where I think Dynamat or it's various substitutes would be best used, such as the self stick/self healing roofing materials available at DIY home centers.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for $54 you can do a whole car at HD
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, its been a while since I updated this little interior build I'm doing on my 61 Standard Bug. I finally found the carpet insulation I've been looking for at www.YourAutoTrimStore.com extremely cheap. Only $3.95 a yard. I bought 4 yards and it seems like I will be short by a few yards. I will order another 4 yards this week. Here is the current progress:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was worried the you would be able to see the ripples of the corrugated sheet metal but this stuff is about 1/2" thick and hides the ripples very well. I also bought some 3M 90 aerosol glue and sprayed both surfaces, let them sit for about 5 minutes as the directions call for. The stuck them together and used my hand to smooth everything out. Next is the rear window section then the sides and then the floors.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got to drop off my bug yesterday (Saturday) at my buddies shop for the dash, doors, under the dash, pillars etc etc to get repainted Gulf Blue. He was going to remove all the glass first. Finally, he is having his upholster put in my new off white headliner. Should be about a week or so, no rush. He happened to have a new roof rack and a really cool Coca-Cola cooler i bought from him too that will go on when i go pick up the car. When i get it home, it'll be time to install the new carpet kit. Then i will order the new door panels and seat covers. I will post pictures as soon as i get it back. stay tuned....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: