Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our first Vanagon - A Turbo Diesel for a USA roadtrip
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Our first Vanagon - A Turbo Diesel for a USA roadtrip Reply with quote

Well, my girlfriend and I took the plunge and bought a 1986 Vanagon. We will be using it for a 10,000+ mile trip across the USA. Leaving end of next month. We have limited funds to do this trip (lots of hopes and dreams, blood, sweat, and im sure tears). I found this van in Hillsboro, Oregon. 180,000+ miles. It has the riviera pop-top, kitchenette (no fridge yet). was originally a gas vehicle but was swapped to a JX 1.6TD. Bought it with a broken Timing belt. Been sitting since November. Needs some love to say the least. Here are some picture of the van when we bought it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I removed the valve cover and various hoses to find the camshaft was broken in two. removed the head. Have found that the head has no cracking, pressure tested perfectly, no physical damamge I can see. having the head surfaced, and new valve seals installed. Sourced a camshaft for $60. bought all needed gaskets and such. Rotated teh motor by hand and foudn thecylinders are in great shape. Cross-hatching still is visable with no scaring. piston clearance is even (phew). The turbocharger was a rustball to say the least. removed all pieces and ordered a rebuild kit (here today). Plan is to reinstall all pieces with all new gaskets (all wire wheeled and cleaned to look close to new. make it a reliable (as much as a vanagon can be). Will post pictures of the motor and pieces as it goes back together.

Spent some time (3 days) polishing and cleaning all exterior panels. here he is all cleaned up:

A picture to show you the before and after. the bottom section was how the van looked before. Pretty rough. This is the worst panel on the van.

Scrubbed teh carpets by hand (they were so gross). Otherwise strait.

Here is a preliminary look at the interior. Pretty rough. Plan to put some kind of electric frige/cooler, new bed with foam mattress, some cabinetry. Will be on the road for 2 months so need to haul some stuff. tested and verified propane tank is seals, stove works. previous owner installed a electric pump for the sink.

If you have any reccomendations or tips on what to bring/modify for the trip then it is greatly appreciated. otherwise I will update this regularily with the progress.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cam broke, it is IMPOSSIBLE that no valves were damaged. Even if they don't leak, any that tapped the pistons need to be replaced or the heads will break off at a later (or sooner really) date.

You need to buff the pre-chamber inserts so they shine in order to see the little cracks forming at the opening. Any cracked pre-chambers should be replaced or a disaster greater than the broken timing belt will very likely occur.
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
If the cam broke, it is IMPOSSIBLE that no valves were damaged. Even if they don't leak, any that tapped the pistons need to be replaced or the heads will break off at a later (or sooner really) date.

You need to buff the pre-chamber inserts so they shine in order to see the little cracks forming at the opening. Any cracked pre-chambers should be replaced or a disaster greater than the broken timing belt will very likely occur.

Head is being torn down as we speak. I noticed marks on the pistons from 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves (one valve mark per piston) which is probably why the camshaft broke. I will most likely replace those 4 valves. the head is at a shop that does only older VW repairs/machine work so I am sure they will give me a full shake down on any needed parts. Thank you for the info!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your elbow grease sure made the van look great. Very nice job!
Check for electrical gremlins while you have some time, since it has been sitting, they are in there just waiting.

Enjoy your trip!!

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Your elbow grease sure made the van look great. Very nice job!
Check for electrical gremlins while you have some time, since it has been sitting, they are in there just waiting.

Enjoy your trip!!

Cool

Thank you! that took about 14 hours so far. still need to remove rear bumper and clean/polish that area.

There is probably a thousand feet of unused and spliced wiring that needs to be removed/cleaned/modified. Once I have the motor together, I am buying two new batteries and seeing if it will start. once running. wil trace and removed all left overs andfinally wrap all required wiring so that is pleasing to look at and easy to service.
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed )most) everything from inside. Plan on doing a full built in cabinet system that mimics a Westfalia interior but with better use of space. Relocating water/electrical and installing a mini fridge ran off inverter while driving and 110v when plugged in. Should be fully under way next week. The girlfriend is in charge of colors and decorations. Will update as pieces come together. Also installing hardwood floors and foam mattress.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a 12v / 110v electric fridge/freezer like an Edgestar. More efficient than using an inverter. It uses a Danfoss compressor, very reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/43-Portable-Compact-Refrigerator-Freezer/dp/B0012EGZ9S

Look around, they can be bought had for around $450, sometimes with free shipping. We got ours for $426, shipped, back in 2011.

It's fairly big, but you get used to it fast. Plus you can take it out when not using. I've often thought about pulling out the stock Westy interior and rebuilding around the Edgestar.

Nice job bringing the van back to life. Shows what a little love can do!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the valves hit the pistons, the cam followers can be damaged. Look at them very closely on the underside. Looks like a nice van.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Edgestar, try to build everything 12v and don't rely on an inverter.
I got my Edgestar for about $365 from the scratch and dent section of CompactAppliance.com.

EDIT: Found it, but out of stock. Even cheaper now...

http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeSta...lt,pd.html

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That unit looks to be a much more sinple solution in regards to electrical hook-up. The one item I am fighting right now is asthetics. Mostly in the girlfriends eyes. However I have had a potentially brilliant plan for where to put this thing and still retain a tucked away and "stock" look. I will update with pictures and dimentions if I can make this work. Thank you for the advice!

Someone also mentioned the head and the cam Journals. I will have them look into this. I am guessing that since the journals were hard to remove initially that they probably took a good hit. visually they looked ok. We will see. head still machine shop. taking too long but will be fully rebuilt at this point. $$ Sad

Last edited by BlueTucker on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be fooled by the cam sprocket. The camshaft has a keyway, but there is not key. It was not lost. The sprocket is a tapered fit and gives you infinite adjustment when setting the cam timing. I am sure the sprocket is fine.
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Don't be fooled by the cam sprocket. The camshaft has a keyway, but there is not key. It was not lost. The sprocket is a tapered fit and gives you infinite adjustment when setting the cam timing. I am sure the sprocket is fine.

I was editing my original post on this as you were responding. I said sprocket instead of journals. woops.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, if the valves are out of the head, and the cam is installed into the bare head with a little lube, it should spin freely with your hand. If not, the heads is warped or the line bore of the cam journals is wrong. On a new to you project, I would verify this before assembling the head. If the cam is in a bind, it may run for a while, but you are loosing horsepower and the belt will fail sooner than later.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 83.5 Riviera with a complete interior. But what I posted for was to tell you what a good job on the o/s.. What did you use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
In theory, if the valves are out of the head, and the cam is installed into the bare head with a little lube, it should spin freely with your hand. If not, the heads is warped or the line bore of the cam journals is wrong. On a new to you project, I would verify this before assembling the head. If the cam is in a bind, it may run for a while, but you are loosing horsepower and the belt will fail sooner than later.

Good advice, I will do so!
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I have an 83.5 Riviera with a complete interior. But what I posted for was to tell you what a good job on the o/s.. What did you use?

The products I used were:

harbor freight 7" 7-speed polisher ($39.99)
Harbor freight 7" yellow foam polishing pad
Mothers SOLO One Cut and Polish cream
Mothers Polymer Sealant

Cuts pretty hard. WOuld reccomend ding this then following with a lighter pad for buffing. I was just to lazy to do it again since it already took about 3 days
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for inspiration on how to redo the interior, this thread has a lot of good designs and ideas.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
VwTravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice paint restoration job. On old faded single stage paint I love to use 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound with followed by a less harsh compound, then polish, then wax. Those polishing pads they sell at Harbor Freight are great, a lot less expensive then other places. Keep up the good work.
1987 Vanagon GL ej22
1986 Cabriolet
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:

Credit where credit is due: unfortunately 3 valves are bent and needed new guides. rebuild with new hardware should be done tuesday/wednesday.
BlueTucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VwTravis wrote:
Wow nice paint restoration job. On old faded single stage paint I love to use 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound with followed by a less harsh compound, then polish, then wax. Those polishing pads they sell at Harbor Freight are great, a lot less expensive then other places. Keep up the good work.

I will have to give the 3M stuff a try. It was expensive and I was unsure the results I would get so I stuck with the middle of the road stuff. I also liked the idea that the meguires was a single product for cutting and polishing saving me a good amount of money on product.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: