Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine compartment cleanup
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elwood5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: engine compartment cleanup Reply with quote

So the engine and trans are out. I want to clean it up and coat it with undercoating or some type of Rhino lining. Any suggestions on what to do?
I hear undercoating gets hot and soft and tends to collect dust.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood, try using oven cleaner before using flammable solvents to remove the undercoating. I also use a heat gun and a scraper as well
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Think ya missed the point, Jball.....Confused

Give it a good power wash bath after a soak in simple green/equivalent....

I would Not recommend undercoating, for the points you've mentioned above...
Also, bedliner will Not be a smooth finish, and dirt/oil/ junk will collect in the roughness of the finish and be even harder to clean later on..(..personal experience from my Tucson street rod bug... Sad .)

If ya want something durable, AnD easy to clean, I
D go with POR-15... Crazy durable, super smooth finish, and junk should wipe right off..... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the texture. Will make cleaning that much harder. May also hold in heat. FWIW,...MY PO "color matched" the engine compartment to black (current body color). Makes everything seem to disappear (like dropped screws and parts) and generally makes maintenance like working in a black hole. Laughing
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh a white engine bay, it would be just like the Reactor Compartment on a Nuclear Submarine. Nothing can hide on white!

Once I start on Thing, I am going to use a lighter color I the Engine bay. Something smooth so the dirt and oil wipes right up. I too thought about the rhino liner idea, but after seeing the PITA my buddies jeep was, I changed my mind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong with the factory color ? Here is a couple that we ( the Domeck Brothers) has done and this is how we do all of the ones we restore.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
whats wrong with the factory color ? Here is a couple that we ( the Domeck Brothers) has done and this is how we do all of the ones we restore.

And that's the way they oughta be done!
elwood5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the paint idea. The POR-15 looks good also. I don't have rust in the engine compartment. The car was undercoated at one time but is peeling off. I am going to remove it in the transaxle area. I saw some videos using POR-15 and they painted over it once it was applied. I need something really strong to protect the bottom out here in Colorado. I run this car all year long and they put down some real nasty crap to stop the icing in the winter. Since undercoating seems to peel over time any ideas?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 15 years ago our 63 Bug Prerunner’s pan was wire brushed to remove anything loose such as paint , dirt, rust and so on. Then we used a roller and pan to coat both sided with Roll On Herculiner.. It has held up nicely for thousands of miles off road in Mexico and also here in Colorado. Herr Kublemann’s pans got the same treatment but POR-15 was used rather than Herculiner. Now 15 years later both cars are still fully coated and protected from the environment. Also both cars can easily have their seats removed and get a deep cleaning fast and easy with a pressure hose and the drain plugs removed... Here is a video that shows the three step process to apply roll on Herculiner....

http://www.herculiner.com/projects/application.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: