Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 VW Kombi (Need advice)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: 1971 VW Kombi (Need advice) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i've been trying to figure out how to get some feedback on my posts. I am new to this site and trying to be new to the VW community. I am heading out this tuesday to look at what seems to be a 1971 VW Kombi bus. i am unfamiliar with this year except for mainly the vertical engine as well as the 1st year of disc brakes. is this a valued bus? Im looking for a long term bus/restore. I have wanted bus for a long time now and am finally ready to purchase. Any info would greatly help me. A lot of my friends keep telling me i'm an idiot for wanting such an unreliable vehicle, but i'm not to worried about it. has been a dream of mine to own and hopefully throughout the years restore one. I will post the link to the bus if anyone possibly wants to hear about it. I would greatly appreciate any help or direction. Thank you
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget your friends, follow your dreams.

There are a lot of changes over the years for the Type 2. One main thing about this site you should know, pictures are still worth a thousand words and helps everyone help each other out a lot faster.

Any VW can be made to be reliable, it depends on the owner. But what are you looking for out of a bus? Daily driver, people mover, camper, work truck? Do you have a lead foot?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking for more of an everyday driver for the summer, camping, cruising the coast, ect...here is the link to the van i a looking at. havent exact found out to post pics yet...saying the format is wrong
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4624078277.html
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly worried about how heavy the old kombis are and dealing with the hills up in lake tahoe area. im not worried about going to slow but i also dont want to blow the engine in the first month of driving.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time it finally blows up you'll realize what you really want is a 2007 cc stroker engine. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the plus to the one you listed is that it has gauges. If you learn how to read those, you will know if you're about to blow the engine. They're tough little buggers that can withstand a lot.

That one looks nice and all, but there's no picture of the engine. And I imagine that there will be a good deal of chrome down there. And that paint job was a home brew, not bad though.

68-71 have Type 1 engines, the same you'd find in a bug. 72+ have Type 4 engines which stock have a great deal more power than a stock 71. Safety wise too, I believe it started at 72+ got some more structure to the frame.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
By the time it finally blows up you'll realize what you really want is a 2007 cc stroker engine. Twisted Evil

pft, 2332 efi.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i going to have a lot of trouble in the mountains with the 1600cc?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't, busses have been pushing around up and down everywhere with 1600s. Everyone just likes to have a bigger motor because you can, and it makes driving a little better.

If you ever question the ability of a bus, watch this guy's videos: www.kombilife.com

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thin walled 1641 isn't going to be happy unless you keep the revs up for maximum cooling, aside from that it doesn't look too bad from here. Mountains are not a problem as long as you aren't in a rush. Good regular maintenance, the correct real German cooling tin and setting the timing and valves properly will go a long way too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, for $6000 that seems like an alright deal.

Ask the seller for more info and pictures on the motor. That would be the make or break for me.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some pictures of the engine on my phone but am having trouble uploading them....the engine looks very clean... he said he rebuilt about 3500k ago and the engine runs strong. i think i might take it to a shop for a buyers inspection before i make the purchase, 8000 for that seems to steep? i should be looking more towards 6 so i have some $ to put into it wich im sure i will need too soon for tuneups and general maitnence?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read here for photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

$8 is what hes asking, but I feel its customary to not pay asking price. That might just be me though.

If you take it to a shop, go to a Aircooled VW shop. Not just any shop. And basic tune ups shouldn't cost you too much. Depends on the condition of the 'rebuilt' engine. How is your tools collection?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner said he had some specific tools for this type of bus...but other than that i have everything from a socket wrench to an engine hoist so im pretty set with tools. I called a place named bug and buggys in napa county who specialize in vws so i should be fine, ill make sure they deal with air cooled. Im just alittle worried about that engine really and that i should be looking towards the newer pancake engine but i hear those are significantly harder to work on? Is that true
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice looking bus and you can jump right in and drive it- but -having driven Tahoe- you will be in 2nd a lot (except the freeways) but may not matter as the windy roads make everybody slow down- and gauges are a must with little motor big load combos- the motor dosn't know what your doing so as long as the temps and pressures are good so should the trip- I would have thought that money was high, but seeing the ads today- they seem to be spiking. so might wait a while for winter prices to kick in.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats a good suggestion, i feel like im not going to see anything in decent running condition, especially something like a mid 70's westfalia or even what im looking at now for under 7k... Is something like the one i posted a sought after year or are there a lot of the 71's around these days? is the Kombi a rare model to find or are there more of those than most?
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate all the info everyone has given me...makes me feel alittle better about the purchase, i guess its really just hit or miss sometimes. i could get a quality well taken care of bus and runs strong for awile as long as i baby it, or get a blown engine the first day i drive it home...risk im willing to take to have my dream van. i think the main reason i am nervouse is because im selling my reliable 2005 toyota tacoma for a 1971 VW haha people think im crazy...but you mind wants what it wants! Im guessing a lot of you on here have an everyday driver as well as the van, probably something to look into
?
ccutter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will keep everyone posted on the purchase. thanks again. have a feeling i will be learning a lot and be on this site more often in the near future. wish me luck
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted. But yes, the first year of you owning it you are going to have some problems. It takes time to find all the hidden surprises that these cars hide.

'71 is a good year because you get disc brakes and get to work on Type 1 engines. Everyone is looking for a westy because everyone wants to have a cool camper.
Kombis are 'harder' to find because they are a commercial model of the bus; They're a stripped down bus that just had some seats in it.

You'll miss the luxury of the Tacoma. I would want both, but we can't always have everything.

Good luck.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: