Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump issues (?) - stuck just outside Munich
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump issues (?) - stuck just outside Munich Reply with quote

Hi All

I have been having an intermittent issue with what I think is my fuel pump, but would like opinions please ...

So basically I have a stock engine in my 56 and it had occasionally started to kind off stutter when going up hills (not all hills though) and sometimes on the flat just after hills.

The car has had all new fuel pipes and a new tank, so I can't see there been any crap in there ....

Anyways, I say it was intermittent so I felt brave and decided to "attempt" to bring the car back to Austria where I live from the UK, a 3 day drive I estimated, 1071 miles.

Day 1 UK to France - within the 1st 30 miles I had a couple of stutters, but nothing major, and backing off the gas or letting the speed reduce then dropping into 3rd always seemed to clear it. I also had one complete cut out, but after a restart it was all good. 383 miles done.

Day 2 France to Germany - loads of hills, but maybe saw the stutter once or twice all day. 395 miles done

Day 3 Germany to Austria - excited to be finally getting home, set off and did the 1st 3 hours nor problems at all, then hit traffic and a load of big hills and she just seemed t give up, the stutter started to happen on every hill on the Autobahn and on the flat, it would always correct but i had to keep pulling into the hard shoulder lane and it was just getting really dangerous the speed reduction was so much, so sadly I had to bite the bullet and manage to get off the road into a safe space where we called for recovery ... 167 miles done, 138 miles to go Sad

So my car is currently sat in a mainstream garage just outside Munich, they tell me (via my 10 year son who speaks German and said they day) they are going to get a new fuel pump and replace it tomorrow, based on my diagnosis.

My question really is ... does this sound like a fuel pump issue or have I mis diagnosed ? From what I can see there aren't any aftermarket options available only a rebuild kit ?

Really sad to have got so close, but also glad to have found a safe place to get off the road, sat on the side of the autobahn would have been no fun !

Cheers

Nik
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like fuel starvation- had this issue in my '59 a few years back- the car on a hill or over 45 mph would stutter.
Turned out that one of the internal pump springs had broken. Initially I could not find a rebuild kit, so I got new Brazilian pump and used the internal bits on my old pump.
The new pump however came with very thin metal discs to replace the thick hex shaped fiber ones that act as valves- and after the rebuild the pump was still not 100% until I took out the thin discs and re-installed the thick ones.
The broken spring also put a tiny hole in the pump membrane.
The rebuild was simple, only needing a home made tool to set the membrane preload- but the pump will work with out the preload set.

I'd Keep the old pump, rebuild it, re-install it and keep the new one as spares after you get home
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

I'm just hoping the garage can find a replacement, I'm struggling to find one ! Only the rebuild kits ...

Actually not true, I could buy this one ...

http://www.aircooled-museum.com/achat-52-60-fuel-pump-21849.html

It's just a load of money !
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198551

is what you are looking for- you may not need an entire pump unless the joining screw threads are all buggered up
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

I've ordered a refurb kit and also managed to find a couple of spare pumps so hopefully should have her back on the road tomorrow to finish of the journey Smile
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in awhile, these symptoms are the result of a sticky inlet valve on the carburetor. This isn't always apparent, as visual inspection of the valve doesn't reveal much ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Once in awhile, these symptoms are the result of a sticky inlet valve on the carburetor. This isn't always apparent, as visual inspection of the valve doesn't reveal much ..

Any thing I can do to check this on the car tomorrow whilst fitting the alternative fuel pump ?

Thanks
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the push rod isn't getting hung in on the FP stand when it gets warmed up.
Check for debris in the main line. On one of my bugs, I had a piece of straw floating around in there blocking the flow periodically. Also check the petcock flow to make sure it is not blocked in any way. had that happen to. The pleasures of driving old bugs Smile
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some of the same issues when the rubber inside the fuel tap swelled up, and clogged the fuel. Known problem back in the days.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
I had some of the same issues when the rubber inside the fuel tap swelled up, and clogged the fuel. Known problem back in the days.

Do you mean on the tap the switches from main to reserve tank or ?

Thanks
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:

If you pull out the valve, turn it the way it is installed in the carb and tap the plunger up with a fingernail- it should fall right back down. If it does not, I soak it in carb cleaner and give it a couple quick hits of compressed air. Repeat if needed till it falls free when you tap it shut.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=436357

#5 in the diagram
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the '70s, we got a bunch of carb rebuild kits in which ALL the brand new inlet valves would stick. We had to reuse the old ones ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the garage in Munich called this morning to tell me (via my 10 year old son who I had to get out of bed to take the call!) that it was "all fixed...." I wasn't convinced, but jumped in the hire car and headed over there.

Got there and the manager and everyone else there proceeded to tell me it was now fixed and then gave me the bits that that had replace, there's defo a broken one there as you can see !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyways, they've replace those parts and i've driven her home no issues at all.

Big thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions and info, really appreciate it !!

Nik

(here she is btw)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: