Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Smile Bus - '61 SWR
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the thread on the bus Jake! The SWR will surprise the hell out of you when you begin to put the wax to it. That thing will be really nice, and congratulations on sticking it out for so many years. I've done the same, but that's a hell of a long time that thing sat there!

Somethings driving me crazy and I need help. The face on your bus struck my memory. There's an image in the back of the Floyd Clymer Transporter Owners Handook (I believe) and for the life of me (five hour internet search) I cannot seem to pull the image down. So many of you know the image I'm talking about: the bus (may be a single cab) is blasting down a southwest dirt road toward the camera with a jashua trees in the image. On the front of the bus, is, well, shit... that bus may be the same bus!

I'm kind of like 15,000 miles from my VW library at the moment, and while the internet is really good, I'm apparently lacking in my search ability. I've spent a long time trying to pull it down with no luck. Unless someone can find it on the internet, can somebody pull the book off their shelf and scan the damn image? This search has had me pulling my hair out. Thanks. Let's see if it's the same bus.

Jake, you -might be- rocking one hell of a famous bus right there!
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Glad to see the thread on the bus Jake! The SWR will surprise the hell out of you when you begin to put the wax to it. That thing will be really nice, and congratulations on sticking it out for so many years. I've done the same, but that's a hell of a long time that thing sat there!

Somethings driving me crazy and I need help. The face on your bus struck my memory. There's an image in the back of the Floyd Clymer Transporter Owners Handook (I believe) and for the life of me (five hour internet search) I cannot seem to pull the image down. So many of you know the image I'm talking about: the bus (may be a single cab) is blasting down a southwest dirt road toward the camera with a jashua trees in the image. On the front of the bus, is, well, shit... that bus may be the same bus!

I'm kind of like 15,000 miles from my VW library at the moment, and while the internet is really good, I'm apparently lacking in my search ability. I've spent a long time trying to pull it down with no luck. Unless someone can find it on the internet, can somebody pull the book off their shelf and scan the damn image? This search has had me pulling my hair out. Thanks. Let's see if it's the same bus.

Jake, you -might be- rocking one hell of a famous bus right there!

Thanks! Man that would be crazy cool if that was the same bus! Definitely let me know if you run across a pic. Anyone have access to the manual Brian is talking about?
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cleaned out the bus I found one of the original commercial hubcaps and it had two more rusty dinged up chrome caps. I bought a nice original German set from this dude yesterday. I had planned to repaint them the correct colors but the chrome was too nice. Today I just detailed them using the wood block method and they came out pretty decent. Someone drilled a hole in the center of the lower right cap. It was just something to do while I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to get here. I will probably repaint them the correct colors later on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
When I cleaned out the bus I found one of the original commercial hubcaps and it had two more rusty dinged up chrome caps. I bought a nice original German set from this dude yesterday. I had planned to repaint them the correct colors but the chrome was too nice. Today I just detailed them using the wood block method and they came out pretty decent. Someone drilled a hole in the center of the lower right cap. It was just something to do while I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to get here. I will probably repaint them the correct colors later on.

Dang! Those look awesome, mate Cool Cool

Don't paint them, run 'em as they are - super cool!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice caps, but please stay the course and put grey caps on it. Commercial buses almost never got the chrome ones, and that may have only been after they rolled out of the factory. You'll lose you caps with enough frequency that it makes good sense to pound out dented ones, and just paint them.

Literature Collectors: Looking for the vintage Floyd Clymer image of the smiling bus in the back of the Transporter Handbook flying through the southwest desert. This bus has the same "grill" - may be the very same bus! Surprised
hubCapT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a small pile of dealership literature from a local buddy recently, this 1962 "The Owners Viewpoint" has some smiley busses from the Truly Nolen Exterminating Company. They all appear to be single cabs in this fleet though. Looks like your bus even has the eye lashes around the headlights though?

'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, they look close! The teeth are similar too. It even has the eyelashes painted above the headlights. Mine have pretty much worn away but they're more visible in the 2006 photos. Thanks for posting up, it looks like you may have addressed the mystery if these are the photos Brian was talking about.

I saved this photo a while back of another bus with a smile painted on the nose:

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing this exterminating company in FL more last winter. They now drive in new beetles with ears and tails.

http://www.trulynolen.com/corporate/mouse-car.asp

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I recall seeing this exterminating company in FL more last winter. They now drive in new beetles with ears and tails.

http://www.trulynolen.com/corporate/mouse-car.asp

Growing up in Jacksonville Florida I remember when they had old bugs with ears and tails.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding! Exactly the image I remember! I have that piece of literature, and I guess that's where I remember seeing it. I'm pretty sure I've seen the image used in the Clymer Handbook too, but I may be wrong. I did remember I had thought it was a single cab. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to post those pages. Really cool, tough to believe there isn't some connection. Just happy to be able to compare them.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Outstanding! Exactly the image I remember! I have that piece of literature, and I guess that's where I remember seeing it. I'm pretty sure I've seen the image used in the Clymer Handbook too, but I may be wrong. I did remember I had thought it was a single cab. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to post those pages. Really cool, tough to believe there isn't some connection. Just happy to be able to compare them.

You remember correctly. It is on Page 4 of my 3rd Edition and is the same pic of the SC blasting down the desert road.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the memory is still functional! One thing for sure: not only is that a badass historic image, but soon enough, the panal with the same smiling face will soon be blasting down dirt roads again!
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Glad the memory is still functional! One thing for sure: not only is that a badass historic image, but soon enough, the panal with the same smiling face will soon be blasting down dirt roads again!

I'm ready for a shakedown run for sure! I should imitate that photo.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been hitting the bus as fast as I'd liked to lately, but it will be back on the road here shortly. I've pretty much collected everything to get it rolling again, a few things aren't pictured.

I hooked up one of my decent 6v batteries and it turned over like a champ with the ignition switch. I had GabVWKey cut me a key off the code and luckily the switch was good. I put in fresh oil, plugs and wires prior but it wasn't getting spark. The ignition parts were fried so I bought some NORS parts off here for my big cap distributor.

I have always just purchased new master and wheel cylinders, but after running across Kombisutra's extraction threads I realized rebuilding is the way to go if they check out. I used Brian's grease gun trick to remove the pistons and it worked great. Just screw in a metric grease gun and pump until the piston is almost out. I used a small C-clamp to hold pressure on one piston so the other one would move free after the other was out enough.

They were all in pretty good shape, a few did had some light pitting and corrosion issues, but the cylinder hone took care of it. I had to work one cylinder quite a bit longer than the others but it honed out great. To my surprise the piston cup seals were in excellent shape, they looked just as nice as my new seals from Napa. I of course used the new seals, but I wouldn't have worried about reusing the ones I pulled off. The perks of rebuilding, I now have German wheel cylinders ready to roll without raping my wallet or cussing the inferior replacements.

I went ahead and rebuilt the master cylinder too. It's an old Varga and after I blew it apart the bore looked pretty nice. I honed it shiny and installed a Raybestos kit. I'm glad the aluminum reservoir was never pitched.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should upgrade to dual circuit MC and have safer brakes.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

I've been driving single circuit brakes for 10 years with no problems.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

I want to put the bus back together like I found it, I'm pretty sure it had a recent brake job before it's slumber too. The master cylinder was in great shape before the rebuild.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great if you are going to make it a museum piece and trailer to shows.

If you are going to be driving it, adding safety items like seat belts and dual master cylinder is not a crime.
When, not if, you blow out a wheel cylinder you will have zero brakes. With dual circuit more than likely you have about half the braking power. Have seen enough crunched bus noses directly due to failed brakes. Knock on wood, we have just avoided that a time or two.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:

I hope this a before picture of the MC.

It should look like this after it was honed-

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a before picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: