Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Bath with Aftermarket 36hp-style Doghouse Shroud?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Oil Bath with Aftermarket 36hp-style Doghouse Shroud? Reply with quote

Off hand, does anyone know if any of the factory oil-bath air cleaners will work with the aftermarket 36hp-style doghouse fan shrouds? Question

We have a dual-port 1600 in our '67 that came with one of these shrouds, and I was going to use a '66 oil-bath air cleaner that my brother loaned me, but it doesn't fit because the 36hp shroud doesn't have the indentation at the top for clearance.

(Not my picture, but it shows the difference I am talking about...)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5848970-73-Bug-Build
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With a 34PICT3 on the stock intake manifold, if you put the '66 oil bath air cleaner in the correct orientation, it hits the fan shroud and sits too far to the rear of the car to sit down on the carb. If you rotate it 180-degrees you can get a bit more clearance, but then the automatic choke is misaligned with the indentation in the bottom of the air cleaner, so that's a no-go as well. Sad

Looking through the photos in the "Beetle Air Cleaners - picture reference thread" (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497250), it almost looks like the '65 (and back to '62) air cleaners have more clearance at the bottom (straight across without extending below the top of the automatic choke), and might possibly fit in that 180-degree rotated orientation if they had to...

Has anyone tried this? Question
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be hard to modify the schroud so you can use the oil bath filter. The easy way out is to use an aftermarket filter.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy076 wrote:
It would not be hard to modify the schroud so you can use the oil bath filter. The easy way out is to use an aftermarket filter.

Yep, it already has a cheap aftermarket filter on it, so it's in a "functional" state. But I don't think it would be worth it to modify the shroud... if/when I drop the engine next, I would just put a factory doghouse shroud on instead. Wink
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tool for doing this the old fashion way here

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran into the same problem and can confirm the clearance issue with the 66 oil bath. I've tried an earlier 40hp cleaner and it too did NOT clear the shroud.

The only thing I have found that fits is a 36hp round style oil bath. Unfortunately, this limits the volume of air and unless you find a pretty rare one with the oil breather line attachment...you can't use an oil breather line.

So, right now I'm using a 66 cleaner turned 180 and running an oil breather line behind and under the cleaner.

Good luck, I look forward to a solution!
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OLDveedubs.

What carb are you running? (It must not have the automatic choke clearance issue that I had?)
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have stated that as well.

It is a manual choke, PIC 30 carb. I wanted to retain my manual choke in the car. There are some threads on Samba about these carbs, I've found it very easy to tune and excellent quality.

The engine is really a bunch of parts from different years for good performance, good looks, and to make it look like a 36hp it clearly isn't (to the trained eye!) Very Happy
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:
Good luck, I look forward to a solution!

Solution found! Surprised

Browsing eBay... what's this? A nice looking 62-65 oil bath...

Original paint and decal in great shape, still has the flap assembly...

The price is a bit steep at $75+ shipped, but it IS in good condition... Far better than most of them out there.

... wait for it....

hahahahaahahahaahahaa!!! Laughing

Brian, someone else had your idea. Laughing
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

Shocked
d'oh!
Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I got a good deal on a '61-62 oil bath air cleaner that was missing the pre-heat flap, at a price low enough that it was worth a gamble. It cleaned up pretty well, so I gave it a try in the reversed orientation.

It fits! Very Happy

The '61-62 has the breather fitting on the snout instead of the other side, so the hose routing actually works really nicely and "looks right" in this orientation. (Better than the '63-64 would have.) Turned 180-degrees, there is also now quite a bit of clearance against the fan shroud.

This style doesn't have the low-hanging bottom that the '66 air cleaner does, so it clears the automatic choke on the 34PICT3. The mounting clamp for the air cleaner ends up facing the rear as well, but it clears the 34PICT3 fuel inlet with a few mm to spare, and you can still reach it with a screwdriver behind the automatic choke to tighten it.

I haven't driven around with it yet, as I have my tank run almost empty to replace the remaining fuel lines and relocate the fuel filter. But switching from the generic empi/flat-style air cleaner to the oil bath made a pleasant change to the engine sound at idle. Cool
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niceeee Cool

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: