Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint "Blues"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smurfpike wrote:
I’m sure I will get slammed for this but I get my Syncro axles both front and rear from AutoZone. They come with a lifetime warranty and are the same part # as the 944 axles. They looked like they were a quality product and If I break an axle or tear a boot I take it in and have them order a new one and replace it, I’m down maybe 2-3 days on the road depending on where I’m at and there are AutoZone’s all over the place. Make sure they are new since the remanufactured are not correct for some reason.

Yup, my camping buddy is the one that I got my idea from. Wink

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Go...12551_4024
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
smurfpike wrote:
I get my Syncro axles both front and rear from AutoZone.

Having just gone through your photo album and seen the impeccable restoration youve done to your syncro, the last thing on my mind would be to criticize your choice of parts.

What Im writing to clarify, if whether by axle you mean just the axle shaft, or are you buying full half shafts with CV's and boots installed?

My religion currently, requires me to worship at the Church of Lobro. Are you telling me Autozone has been providing you with non Lobro CV's as well? Are you also telling me you run Autozone 944 CV's?

Personally, I dont think the choice of axle shaft is that critical, its usually a CV that pits, or gets loose and starts clicking and clacking, not a shaft that breaks, when I have needed to replace joints on my syncro. More often its just a boot that tears.

Anyway, inquiring minds, how much are you paying for an Autozone rear half shaft (if thats what you meant, half shaft meaning axle, boot, and CV assembly). Are we talking about 100 dollar axles from China?

Crazyvwvanman also reports success with Empi half shafts. Always good to hear of economical alternatives.

Yes they are the half shafts that are complete with shaft, CV and boot

$129 for the front all new
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Go...12551_2805

$79.99 for the rear all new
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Go...12551_4024

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, I have used a lot of the Empi 90-6805 complete axle assemblies with good results on 2wd vans with stockish levels of engine power output. But I know of several Syncro guys who have broken them under duress while the rear diff was locked. The axle shaft is what failed them.

Mark

Jon_slider wrote:
....Crazyvwvanman also reports success with Empi half shafts. Always good to hear of economical alternatives.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So when you say "pit" is that the only one, or are there similar marks on all the races around the star? Just curious.

missed that question earlier. Only one pit was found.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I have used a lot of the Empi 90-6805 complete axle assemblies with good results on 2wd vans with stockish levels of engine power output. But I know of several Syncro guys who have broken them under duress while the rear diff was locked. The axle shaft is what failed them.

thanks for your detailed feedback
I attribute my broken Empi axle shaft to being Unlocked, which allows faster wheel spin, plus the Torsional shaft had been running on driver side for several thousand miles, then got switched to passenger side (bad idea). The axle actually snapped at the circlip groove that Burley cut into the axle. My Tdi motor has similar horsepower to a Subaru 2.2. I have never broken a NonTorsional stock rear axle shaft, even one that has been moved from driver to passenger side. Ive never broken a front axle shaft.

Im not an aggressive offroad driver, Ive never broken a rear CV joint, with 21" rear ride height. I did break a stock front outer CV, after a torn boot filled with muddy water, and I tried to drive an extra 5 miles with loud clacking noises and the van pulling heavily to one side (not recommended). Im still using stock front axles and CV's, with 20" front ride height.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed a new driver's side rear axle (2wd Vanagon, lifted 1.5") from Advanced Auto after my Lobro started clicking...and clacking. The new axle has a similar, although not as loud clicking. Especially when taking a right hand turn, it gets a little louder. Are the CV joints on my new axle bad? Anything else to check?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
Just installed a new driver's side rear axle (2wd Vanagon, lifted 1.5") from Advanced Auto after my Lobro started clicking...and clacking. The new axle has a similar, although not as loud clicking. Especially when taking a right hand turn, it gets a little louder. Are the CV joints on my new axle bad? Anything else to check?

Emergency brake on, tranny in neutral, chock a tire then crawl under and Plunge the shaft back and forth towards the wheel and transmission. Feel if there is more room on one side for movement than the other. Then split the difference to center the shaft and pull and push the boot ends to hold it there. See if that stops your noise.

I will guess it is running close to the wheel side stub axle and making contact when turning to the right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Running_Man wrote:

Emergency brake on, tranny in neutral, chock a tire then crawl under and Plunge the shaft back and forth towards the wheel and transmission. Feel if there is more room on one side for movement than the other. Then split the difference to center the shaft and pull and push the boot ends to hold it there. See if that stops your noise.

I will guess it is running close to the wheel side stub axle and making contact when turning to the right.

Just went out and tried this, comparing the driver's side to the passenger's side. The FLAPS replacement axle seems to have more rotational play at the inner CV joint than the original Lobro. But what really caught my attention is when I push vertically up and down on the inner CV joint, there seems to be play in the transmission flange....is there a bearing in there and is it easily adjustable/replaceable?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes bearings are in there. No not easily replaced by us DIY people. Just how much play do you have?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:

Just went out and tried this, comparing the driver's side to the passenger's side. The FLAPS replacement axle seems to have more rotational play at the inner CV joint than the original Lobro. But what really caught my attention is when I push vertically up and down on the inner CV joint, there seems to be play in the transmission flange....is there a bearing in there and is it easily adjustable/replaceable?

So long as the seal doesn't leak excessively it doesn't seem to hurt much when the output flanges get sloppy.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Another Update Sad

I am starting to feel a vibration while accelerating again. This usually means that one of my CV joints is beginning to pit. I checked the marks to see if the (left) drivers side half shaft has moved. It hasn't. Still centered. So I will be taking the passenger side off and doing an inspection.

I recently purchased another full set of Lobro GNK joints for the rear. I specifically asked VanCafe for the joints that have the (3)three and single rings grooved in the outer joints.

Here is how they came:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The joint on the Left is how they all came out of the boxes. As you can see the STAR has been installed wrong. I took one joint apart and it was very difficult to tear down. All the ball races were very rough. I touched them up lightly with some emery cloth. It improved the movement, but they are still very, very tight. You can see in the joint on the right where I smoothed them up but there are still pretty deep machining grooves.

I have been talking to my friend that has high end sand rails about his joints. His come "race prepped" polished. I did some reading about polishing and clocking CV joints.

CLOCKING:
http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_clocking.htm

RACE PREPPING:
http://www.dune-buggy.com/techtips/cv_joint_polishing.htm

I will be prepping these new joints and have them clocked on the half shaft when installed. Wink

Here are the polishing bits that I ordered:
http://www.racereadyproducts.com/race-preptools/cv-polishing-bits/

Once I get them prepped I will update with some photos and procedures
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Yes bearings are in there. No not easily replaced by us DIY people. Just how much play do you have?

We're talking millimeters. My plan is to replace the china-made advanced auto axle with a Lobro and see if that solves the mystery clicking. If it's still clicking my guess is the output flange on the tranny.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update.

I received the prepping bits today and completed one to get some photos.

I first used 320 grit emery cloth to knock off the high spots from machining.

As you can see in this pic it is still very rough after hitting it with the 320 grit. This is about a half hours worth of rubbing by hand. It feels smooth but you can still catch grooves with a fingernail. Much better than out of the box.

Then I used the polishing bit to finish smoothing them out. I read in a post not to take too much off, but get the machine grooves smoothed out. I took them down to where your fingernail would not catch any grooves, but it is still not polished smooth. Much better than from the factory. This is about another hour of polishing the star, cage, and outer race of the joint. Stock out of the box is on the left.

I read to take some additional time on the star because that is what pits and fails most of the time. Polished one on the left.

It should take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours per joint to get them polished. I am being careful not to take too much off. I also read that if they are too smooth the grease will not adhere to the metal and keep a layer of grease between the surfaces. I am not sure about that, but I did read it.

The difference is amazing on how smooth the joint moves after polishing. Even without grease it easily plunges by it's own weight. The stock out of the box has to be pushed pretty hard to get it to plunge.

I am also going to give some high end CV grease a try. I have a friend who swears by this in his sand rail and a supplier is using this also. Laughing He has used both Swepco and Redline before and He wanted to have someone else run some and see if it makes a difference. So I am going to be "guinea" for this test.

All this might be overkill, but I am willing to take the time to see if it makes a difference. All the offroad - buggy people on Samba do this to their joints to make them last longer and I know a few of you have commented that you prep your joints. I am just a little slow to learn all these tricks Shocked but that is why I wanted to share this with the group. Laughing

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/cv-500-joint-grease/

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/hpcc1-grease/

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing a top-notch job. I wouldn't worry about the grease adhering .. If there's a sufficient amount of grease, the balls should remain lubed (and you've reduced heat-producing high spots). I think it would be hard to beat the Swepco grease, though ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
I think it would be hard to beat the Swepco grease, though ..

I would have thought so too, but I unintentionally did a little experiment this summer that seemed to indicate otherwise.

I installed four new Lobro 944 CVs into my lifted Syncro. I used CV-2 on one side and Swepco 101 on the other due to not having enough of either to complete both sides with just one product. I did not mix the greases, I simply used one brand on one side and another brand on the other. I ended up with two ripped CV boots after about 3000 miles and when I pulled the CVs apart for new boots, the CV-2 side looked reasonably good, but the Swepco 101 side was pitted terribly...just like the photos at the beginning of this thread. All four of these joints had the same tight, rough feel to them that so many of the new Lobro joints seems to have lately, so I don't think it was the joints themselves. Also, both inner and outer CVs on the Swepco side showed pitting and there was zero pitting on the CV-2 side.

Just for the record!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy who builds desert trucks swears by the Bel Ray 67700 grease for CVs, it's not cheap but, if someone wants to split a case of 12 cartridges with me, it's under $20 per cartridge which is a screening deal......anyone interested in the best there is? This stuff is usually over $30 a cartridge at retail outlets.
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought here.. I notice you have lots of things bolted onto your syncro if it's the one in your avatar. Could you be over loading the van?

I too have suffered from a few premature CV joint failures on my 2wd auto as I've traveled around the country. Due to living in the van while I'm traveling I carry a lot of stuff like spare parts, clothes, had a folding kayak.. Ect..ect..

Since I'm stopped off in Denver I rented a small storage unit and put most of my stuff there and greatly reduced the load on the van. Previous to doing this I was starting to hear a CV joint making noise.

After removing all the extra weight the CV joint stopped making noise. This leads me to think that maybe my van was over loaded which caused the premature cv failures.

Considering the van in your picture is a Syncro/Westy is already at the edge of the weight rating for these vans capabilities. Add in the tire carrier, big bumpers, fuel cans, box on the roof and what ever you might have inside, could your van just be overloaded?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That is why we call it "Over 3 tons of Fun" Wink

DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Laughing That is why we call it "Over 3 tons of Fun" Wink

Heh, yea I think you are carrying a lot more than I am.. Laughing

Have you thought about trying those Porsche CV that some guys run? Maybe they can handle more weight.

Personally, I'm starting to double down on minimizing what I think I need vs what I actually need, every since I noticed the CV stopped complaining once I removed the excess weight.

Things like.. Why am I carrying a jump start box when I also have jumper cables and 2 house batteries.. Embarassed

I can say once I get back to building my syncro, I'll have a lot of changes in the works to both reduce the final weight as well as get the most usage of space.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
I noticed the CV stopped complaining once I removed the excess weight

iirc you had a noise you thought was the end of the axle shaft hitting either the wheel side stub axle, or the transaxle side output flange.

I can see how less weight would increase axle shaft angle, and possibly increase the distance between tranny and wheel flanges. Which would maybe help pull the ends of the axle shaft away from the flanges, and eliminate the tapping noise, if thats what you had.

however, Syncro Jael is lifted, so any loss of angle from heavy loading, was regained when the body was raised with taller springs. This axle angle increase is reflected in an increase in ride height.

DAV!D what is your ride height now, and what was it before you took the weight out? The idea would be that maybe a 15" ride height would increase your axle end tapping, and that a 17" ride height would reduce it.

Syncro Jael iirc is over 19" ride height, as he sits, loaded heavy. How about your Van DAV!D, got any ride height data?

more weight reduces ride height. DAV!D is reporting more weight increases his axle tapping, if I understand correctly, so it seems relevant to measure ride height for reference as weight is altered.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
I noticed the CV stopped complaining once I removed the excess weight

iirc you had a noise you thought was the end of the axle shaft hitting either the wheel side stub axle, or the transaxle side output flange.

I can see how less weight would increase axle shaft angle, and possibly increase the distance between tranny and wheel flanges. Which would maybe help pull the ends of the axle shaft away from the flanges, and eliminate the tapping noise, if thats what you had.

however, Syncro Jael is lifted, so any loss of angle from heavy loading, was regained when the body was raised with taller springs. This axle angle increase is reflected in an increase in ride height.

DAV!D what is your ride height now, and what was it before you took the weight out? The idea would be that maybe a 15" ride height would increase your axle end tapping, and that a 17" ride height would reduce it.

Syncro Jael iirc is over 19" ride height, as he sits, loaded heavy. How about your Van DAV!D, got any ride height data?

more weight reduces ride height. DAV!D is reporting more weight increases his axle tapping, if I understand correctly, so it seems relevant to measure ride height for reference as weight is altered.

I'm not talking about springs compressing and axles rubbing. I'm talking about actual weight being too much for the joints causing them to wear out prematurely, specially in the mountains. Even with the weight mine were ok until I started doing a lot of driving in the mountains.

My van is also lifted btw by 2" in the rear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: